Hybrid

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I rehab wild rabbits for a wildlife hospital and I'm raising a baby rabbit that was found on the sidewalk. It was only a day or two old....now it's 3 wks., cute as can be, but it's definitely not 100% wild rabbit. Don't know if I should release it into the wild when it's weaned or not.

What makes you think it's a hybrid?

What species is it, where do you live? Very different answers between Europe and the US.
A european rabbit, domestic or not, that young would have been exceptional lucky to survive from that age anyway, let alone out of the nest after being dragged out of it by something, quite likely with teeth and claws. But mixis between wild and domestics happen, they are not hybrids but the same species. I once had such a litter when a small wild buck squeezed through the fence and knocked up one of my does.

Cottontails are born way more developed, better chance for survival. Although despite different chromosome numbers etc. hybrids able to survive are theoretically possible, can't be ruled out completly (I guess depending on which cottentail spieces is involved), but rathervery unlikely. Then surviving ending up on the sidewalk, and being found would be like winning the lottery 3 times in a row.

Normal cottontails end up somewhere quite often, it seems to me, no wonder, they are more developed, and the nests on the surface.

What makes you think it's a hybrid?

What species is it, where do you live? Very different answers between Europe and the US.
A european rabbit, domestic or not, that young would have been exceptional lucky to survive from that age anyway, let alone out of the nest after being dragged out of it by something, quite likely with teeth and claws. But mixis between wild and domestics happen, they are not hybrids but the same species. I once had such a litter when a small wild buck squeezed through the fence and knocked up one of my does.

Cottontails are born way more developed, better chance for survival. Although despite different chromosome numbers etc. hybrids able to survive are theoretically possible, can't be ruled out completly (I guess depending on which cottentail spieces is involved), but rathervery unlikely. Then surviving ending up on the sidewalk, and being found would be like winning the lottery 3 times in a row.

Normal cottontails end up somewhere quite often, it seems to me, no wonder, they are more developed, and the nests on the surface.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. The baby rabbit was found in Dublin, which has mostly Desert Cottontails and Black-tailed Jackrabbits ....only occasionally will I rehab a Brush Rabbit from that area. It obviously was not a jack as it was only 20g and furless, etc. So, going by the shape of its ears, oval, I thought it was a cottontail since brush rabbits that young have very round ears...like mice.
When it started getting fur, I realized it wasn't a cottontail...ack. I don't do domestics 😮 ! It has a wild rabbit head shape, flatter forehead and narrower face. The fur is fluffy and grayish. Maybe a picture would help ID it, but it's still quite young.

As far as I'm aware, wild cottontails and hares, and domesticated rabbits cannot breed and produce viable offspring as they are completely different species. Or at least it's highly unlikely that any will survive.

If the baby bun has any domestic characteristics, then it's most likely a domestic rabbit. In the off chance it's an extremely rare possibility of a mix, being part domestic, it would no longer be considered a wild rabbit and should be treated as a domestic rabbit, as far as I'm aware. Though to be sure, I guess you can check with your state authority. And they may be able to positively identify if it's wild or domestic.

Baby cottontails mature more quickly. Their eyes will open at about 1 week old, domestic rabbits it's about 2 weeks. And there will be other defining characteristics as well. So these things may also help in identification. And if it's positively identified as domestic, you may be able to contact a local rabbit rescue. There are a few for your area, plus the House Rabbit Society.

https://vetspace.2ndchance.info/how-to-care-for-orphaned-wild-cottontail-bunnies/
https://center.rabbit.org/
You can try posting a photo here. If it is domestic, one of our more knowledgeable members on domestic breed characteristics, may be able to ID a breed for you. Or at least say if it's for sure domestic. I'm inclined to think it is, but I guess you never know.

Here are some pictures of the mystery baby bun. Looks cottontail'ish, doesn't it? Doesn't have a cotton tail though and the fur is very soft and fluffy. The eyes opened at 10 days which is normal for a cottontail, but it was only 32g, which is pretty darn tiny for eyes to open. Usually happens closer to 50g. It weighs 70g today.
I am aware that mixes are rare and that they usually are aborted or die early on. I would say this one is not out of the woods by any means as the dreaded weaning diarrhea is always a threat even with otherwise healthy babies.

Attachments

• 20231021_133915.jpg
    20231021_133915.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231021_133908.png
    20231021_133908.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231021_133939.jpg
    20231021_133939.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Looks cottontail-ish to me too. Maybe it has some weird genetic fur mutation... or it's a runt thing. Possibly it could change as it matures, and the fur will look more normal.

It doesn't look at all like any domestic breed to me. I would say continue on like you are, raising it for release when it's ready.

Such a cute little fluff 🥰

Here are some pictures of the mystery baby bun. Looks cottontail'ish, doesn't it? Doesn't have a cotton tail though and the fur is very soft and fluffy. The eyes opened at 10 days which is normal for a cottontail, but it was only 32g, which is pretty darn tiny for eyes to open. Usually happens closer to 50g. It weighs 70g today.
I am aware that mixes are rare and that they usually are aborted or die early on. I would say this one is not out of the woods by any means as the dreaded weaning diarrhea is always a threat even with otherwise healthy babies.
So cute!

Looks cottontail-ish to me too. Maybe it has some weird genetic fur mutation... or it's a runt thing. Possibly it could change as it matures, and the fur will look more normal.

It doesn't look at all like any domestic breed to me. I would say continue on like you are, raising it for release when it's ready.

Such a cute little fluff 🥰
For what it's worth, Google Lens thinks it's a Brush Rabbit. In some of the photos, the rabbits do in fact, have a fuzzier coat than I've seen. But still, those big ears! Ha! Well, we'll see.

BTW, I do have a house bunny, Biscuit. I just don't raise baby domestics.

Back