Hutch Burn

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whaleyk98

Reaction score
So I was out with the buns today andI was grooming one of my new arivalsas he is in a bad molt...anywho, I noticed that he has pretty bad hutch burn on one back foot and a little on the other. He is in a solid bottom cage now but I wanted to ask how would I go about treating this? Any ideas? Hes all matted too around his "area" but he will not hold still for me to brush him out properly.*sigh*

It would help if you could take pictures of his feet; is that possible?. depending on the severity you may just need to clean them with betadine solution (diluted ) and apply neosporin to them

however if they are open you may need to clean, apply , an antiseptic like neosporin , and bandage.
being off wire will help a lot in itself
some people on the forum use hemmoroid creme on them but in that case they should be bandaged so that the rabbit cannot eat the creme off.
here are some articles about this condition

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11953&forum_id=10

:yeahthat:

As for the matted areas, I'd just trim them off as gently as possible. You could also apply cornstarch to the irritated skin to soothe it and keep it dry.

Neosporin is good, but even better for this is udder cream or preparation H.

Once you've gotten him settled and clean and there's no fur blocking the urine from going into the pan, it should go away. If it doesn't it can mean there's something not right about the urine--ie its pH is off or something. That would require a vet visit. It's probably just from being on a wire cage and having fur in the way.

Latest posts

Back