Hurricane Sandy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrinasmommy88

Reaction score
Well everyone, just want to let you all know that I am in the projected path of this hurricane. It could still be a hurricane when it gets here or could be a tropical storm. They are calling it "Hybrid Sandy" and "The next Perfect Storm". Needless to say, I am getting worried. this storm has the tropical effect but is also going to collide with a winter storm and a jet stream when it gets here which will strengthen it.They are even saying we can get snow with this as well. Hurricane Grace was the "Perfect Storm", so if you have watched the movie, you know what has me so worried. Im am heading out to get water, canned goods, gas, and food for the animals. They are saying we will lose power. Its supposed to start tomorrow and the worst of it Sunday and Monday. The navy is under a "Tropical Cyclone condition 3" so that means in the next 48 hours we will have damaging winds over 60mph and who knows what the gusts will be. They have already cancelled my husbands work for the weekend. One of the tunnels is closed right now to prepare. Its not looking so good...so if im not on for a few days, you know why. I will try to update when i can, i will be taking pictures (safely of course). Keep us in your prayers.....we just went under a state of emergency from the governor.:pray::shock:

They are expecting it to hit here too. Joshua is getting hay since we are running low and we will get groceries tonight. Luckily we already have most of the storm supplies we will need. We just have to turn off the water to outside so the pipe doesn't freeze if we get snow.

I'm trying to be optimistic that it will give me an excuse to stay home all weekend and relax with the buns. I hope everyone in the path stays safe. :pray:

Brandy, I just picked up 40lbs of hay yesterday so Gracie should be good lol. This storm is really worrying me. My husband just got back from getting supplies and he said its already crazy. We went outside and secured everything and put audrinas toys in the shed. I hope all of your buns don't go too crazy. I'll have to sedate my dog because she freaks out. Fun fun

The cat has issues with rain storms. Our house was hit by lightning when he was about 6 months old. He was about 6 feet from where it hit (we were all in the kitchen making dinner). I screamed, the cat peed where he stood then ran. Now he is 5, but still quivers and wants to be held when ever it storms with thunder.

Our main concern is flooding in the house if the electric goes out because we have a subpump. People aren't freaking here yet because it's not sapposed to get too bad until late Saturday here. I think the people tend to be the worst part of storms.

Wow, keep us updated. :pray: Worst I've ever been through was a few tornadoes, I can't imagine what a hurricane would be like. :shock:

I usually don't worry about these storms. I haven't worried about one since Isabel hit. They always make a big deal out of nothing. But this one is making me nervous. I'm scared of the flooding. Just from that rain storm we had a couple of months ago (the one I posted pics of) we were flooded for days. This is going to severely flood us. I'm surrounded by water which sucks. The winds scare me too because we have had quite a bit of rain lately so the ground is wet and easier for trees to uproot. I'm just really uneasy

audrinasmommy88 wrote:
I usually don't worry about these storms. I haven't worried about one since Isabel hit. They always make a big deal out of nothing. But this one is making me nervous. I'm scared of the flooding. Just from that rain storm we had a couple of months ago (the one I posted pics of) we were flooded for days. This is going to severely flood us. I'm surrounded by water which sucks. The winds scare me too because we have had quite a bit of rain lately so the ground is wet and easier for trees to uproot. I'm just really uneasy

Let me know if you need a place for your bunnies to stay. I'm on the other side of the tunnel, but out of the flood zones.

I'm in the northern Virginia area, so we're bracing for impact, too! Call me crazy, but I love a good storm (snow, rain, wind, whatever)! I've been following the reports on Sandy religiously since the beginning of the week. My hope is that school will be cancelled for Monday (and Tuesday??) and we'll have a nice long weekend. I love just hunkering down and going on adventures like this. Kinda like when the derecho came through in July.

Of course, I hope everyone stays safe (I don't like that part of these storms). I'll be praying the flooding isn't bad where you are!

Jessica, that is such a sweet offer. I'm sure that gives a sense of relief for Rachel in case of flooding.

I loved storms when I was in school too. Unfortunately work doesn't close as easily :p

On the bright side, I am taking my work lap top home so if there is flooding and I have power then I can work remotely. I just feel a bit more prepared when I have more options. We live on a hill so as long as the power remains we shouldn't have issues.

I'm not sure how bad my part of PA is supposed to get hit, but people are freaking out and flocking to walmart. I didn't think Pennsylvania even GOT hurricanes. I'm originally from Maryland and the last big Hurricane we dealt with was Isabel, which would have hit my town directly, had it turned right instead of left.

Good luck with everything and stay safe!

I've been kind of watching it on the news this week, I just saw its path today though. Rachel, are you in the Delaware Bay area?
Fortunately, we won't be getting much of anything other than strong winds and maybe some snow.
I'm going to keep you guys in mind, I hope everything is okay for you guys and for everyone who is in its path.
:pray:

Jessica, thank you so much. PM me your info just in case I need you. I only have one bun do she would be really easy to get to you. Definitely gave me some relief. If I end up having to get out of here ill def bring her to you :) thank you

Morgan, I'm not in the Delaware Bay Area, they will get the worst of the storm, but this thing is so huge, we will get high impact. I'm right on the coast.

Update....3 hours ago Sandy was downgraded to a tropical storm. They just announced that she is a Hurricane again. They're saying to expect power outages from Virginia to New York. We are going to get 8-9 inches of rain and major wind. The stores are already running out of food and water. This is crazy. They called my husband to come into work this morning to get everything secure and tied down. They have some huge navy ships and submarines there right now that cant be moved because they are not running. So hopefully the damage to them wont be bad when this is over. But considering they are in the water, who knows

Brandy, Have you ever tried a thunder shirt for your cat? They work wonders for dogs but I bet it would work for your cat too.
I hope everyone comes out of this storm safe and sound. I am on the edge of it's predicted path so we should only get some more rain.

Latest posts

Back