Humping...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my pet rabbit "Fudge" for about 3 months now and she hasrecently begun humping my leg when inside the house and my arm if Ireach into her cage. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?? Willdesexing help and if so how much does this cost??

Cheers.

LOL She loves you! Either that or she'sasserting her dominance over you! ;) Spaying abunny at my local practice is around £60, I don't know which countryyour in, but it varies from place to place.

Also look for a rabbit savvy vet! There are alot of cowboysalong with the really good ones, so make sure they know what they'redoing.

Welcome Aboard, Tommo,

Once those hormones kick in, it's hard to stop them from such acts until they are fixed.

Spaying is much harder on the wallet than neutering. I have anexcellent deal here in my area because a neutering costs $62, includingan overnight stay because they just like to be extra cautious. Spaying,not all vets do, and it can range anywhere from $150 and up from whatI've learned. Some people have been able to find ways to cut corners onthat price, you might ask a member of our board here named Buck Jonesbecause I know he has some suggestions - or perhaps someone else will.

Nine times out of ten, once they are fixed, that action dissipates, andthen stops after the hormones even out after the operation. You shouldwait at least 4-5 months though. Some vets don't like to do it before 6months.

Not only does getting them fixed usually stop that, it's also beenresearched that it decreases the chance of uterine and testicularcancer later on in the rabbits life. Uterine cancer can hit as early as3 years old. Of course, not every rabbit will get it, but the risk iscertainly higher if the rabbits aren't fixed.

-Carolyn

If spaying/castration costs seem exorbitant inyour area (here $300.00 and $200.00 respectively) check withlocal civic organizaions, such as SPCA, animal shelters, animal rescue,animal control department, and the like. Some may provide theservice for you at nominal or no cost, or know the whereabouts of someorganization that might do so.

We utilize the services of a local animal welfare organization calledAnimal Birth Contro, Inc. ABC "brokers" neutering proceduresfor animals with local veterinarians who are interested in providingcivic service to their communities. The only caveats is thatall funds must go through ABC and one must accept the veterinarian(s)it contracts with. As its contracted veterinarian is our ownveterinarian of choice, it is a win/win situation for us. A$300.00 spay costs us in the neighborhood of $80.00.

Perhaps, you may find a similar organization in you locale.

Buck

Wow! I was quoted a price of $500 to neuter Hefin Oakland, NJ. I really like this vet and she's really great withrabbits, but the price is the only thing in my way right now.

That's ludicrous!! :shock: $500 for a neuter???

My vet charges $62 and that includes an overnight stay.

Are you sure about that price, BunnyMom? That sounds like someone definitely got their numbers messed up.

-Carolyn

You could inquire about low-cost spay/neuterclinic at the animal shelters or rabbit rescue groups. A group calledAnimal Birth Control spays rabbit for $75-100.

In my case, I have a local vetwho offerslow price.Cleo was spayed for $100 (including $25 extra because she was pregnant.)

(PS: Sorry, didn't see Buck's replay.)

I'm not sure of the exact price off the top of myhead. I have the estimate at home, but I know it was in theneighborhood of $500. It included blood work too. We had that done thefirst time we took him, and it was a good thing because it came backthat his liver enzymes were high. They put him on medication, whichbrought them back down, but with everything going on with Jellybean Ihaven't had the $$$ to get him fixed yet. Once she's taken care of I'llget back to him.

Call an exotics' vet (your vet if you have one)and ask. It cost me $140 for Bo. That included ablood enzyme test. Females can be a bit higher.

Latest posts

Back