Huge Surprise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
Before you read please know that I already know I am an irresponsible idiot, and I know what happened is awful so I really don't need anyone to tell me, or even believe these guys were an accident. Since most ''accidental'' litters are not accidents at all.

Eeep, I feel like crap right now, I was just cleaning out the shed where I keep my bunnies awhile ago and I was pulling out some garden tools and I found a litter of bunnies! I'm not exactly sure who the Mother is but I'm pretty sure it's my older bun Princess. A couple weeks ago one of my male buns escaped the outside hutch and my Dad found him and put him into the shed with my females, thinking it was one of my agouti females, they look identical. I thought they would have been due around the 2nd of this month though and I was full sure he didn't ''get'' her :tears2:
So, I don't know I'm so confused. I checked the other two girls, both are defo female.

Mammy built a nice nest for them, there are five and all look very healthy. My other two females aren't phased by them at all they seem to be just ignoring them. I cannot believe they were there all along and I didn't hear or see anything!

Pretty sure there are no more litters from the other girls, had a good search and will have another good search when it's bright tomorrow.

What ages do you think they might be? I'm guessing between 3-4 weeks. I still can't believe it, I'm in total shock. I'll try get better pics

2a7y0ox.jpg

2hnp30p.jpg

This is their nest, I took away the tools that were in front of it and put some boards in front instead so it's easier for me to get into. I gave them some solid food as well and they nibbled at it a bit.

First of all - accidents can happen to anyone - so don't beat yourself up.

It isn't as if you deliberately put two rabbits together to breed them knowing that it was not a good choice.

Secondly - ENJOY the babies - it can be so much fun.

I am sure they're over 2 weeks because their eyes are open - I'm sorta leaning towards 3 weeks because if they were 4 weeks old it would probably be hard to keep them still to get their picture...

Thanks Peg!
Here are some more pictures I ran out and took

246l552.jpg

14e2ulz.jpg

I agree with Peg.

However,some accidental litters really ARE accidental litters. ;) Take for example the 17 week olds in my rabbitry that were born to Lily this past August. Definitely an accident!

They do look about 2 weeks, probably 3 weeks. They're quite cute!

I would watch the other girls; see if they start acting like they might be building a nest or anything. Chances are they won't though, since this litter seems to be 3 weeks of age. The other girls probably would have had litters too, if they had gotten pregnant. ;)

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I agree with Peg.

However,some accidental litters really ARE accidental litters. ;) Take for example the 17 week olds in my rabbitry that were born to Lily this past August. Definitely an accident!

I would watch the other girls; see if they start acting like they might be building a nest or anything. Chances are they won't though, since this litter seems to be 3 weeks of age. The other girls probably would have had litters too, if they had gotten pregnant. ;)

Emily
Thanks Emily,
I know yours were an accident, but you know the way so many people say they are just to cover up the fact they bred them. I know a few people who have done it and admit it now. I know some people are going to find it hard to believe these are accidents, since I found them at this age! I can hardly believe it myself :shock: I don't care if I'm believed or not though lol!

Yeah I'm definitely keeping a good eye on the other girls, none seem to be pregnant though. I palpated and couldn't feel anything. So fingers crossed! ;)

All I can say now is I LOVE LOVE LOVE the babies....they're so cute and I wish I could hold them from here.

Enjoy them while they're small - it really is such fun...

And I believe what you said - it was an accident.

irishbunny wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I agree with Peg.

Emily
Thanks Emily,
I know yours were an accident, but you know the way so many people say they are just to cover up the fact they bred them. I know a few people who have done it and admit it now. I know some people are going to find it hard to believe these are accidents, since I found them at this age! I can hardly believe it myself :shock: I don't care if I'm believed or not though lol!

Yeah I'm definitely keeping a good eye on the other girls, none seem to be pregnant though. I palpated and couldn't feel anything. So fingers crossed! ;)

Oh, yes I know what you mean and I believe you that this was an accident. ;)

That's good that the others girlsseem to not bepregnant!

I know you must be shocked -I would be too!But now you got lots of cute little fluffy babies to enjoy! Love the one your holding up in the 2nd picture you posted....How cute!!!

Emily

Thanks :), yeah they are really fluffy! I think it's because it Winter, they have really nice thick coats! When I first saw them I thought I was hallucinating lol! I was there staring for a couple of minutes before I ran in and got my Dad to help me pull them out and count. It wasn't until about an hour after that I went out and cuddled them for awhile and realised how cute they are!

6 months :)
It's funny cause I feel like I went back in time, this litter is the exact same, three agouti and two blacks!
It's very difficult to rehome bunnies here so I need all the luck I can get!

ooo congrats, Accidents do happen and those boy bunnies must be quick and sneaky LOL and boy shows mum knows what she`s doing they look really healthy ,enjoy the fun !!

They look around 4-5 weeks to me, based on their size and development. Just to be safe, I'd wait at least 4 more weeks to rehome them, and then you should be good. :)

Thanks :) I think myself 3 weeks now, maybe hitting four they are still teeny and barely even the size of my hand. Plus, they aren't really eating much solids, licked and nibbled them a little and that was it. :) They are sooo fluffy

They are really cute :) I miss when mine were babies, but I think mine are cuddlier now and have shown a lot more personality.

Are they skittish around you since they've never been handled a lot?

fuzz16 wrote:
They are really cute :) I miss when mine were babies, but I think mine are cuddlier now and have shown a lot more personality.

Are they skittish around you since they've never been handled a lot?
They squeaked like crazy last night when we were taking them out, but they didn't do that today and aren't too upset when we hold them now. Since I moved away all the tools they have been coming out more, but will run away when I come close. My last litter did that as well though.

TinysMom wrote:
All I can say now is I LOVE LOVE LOVE the babies....they're so cute and I wish I could hold them from here.
Didn't see this, thanks Peg :)
I love them now as well!

Here are some more pictures of two of the cuties! I was also wondering, do they seem healthy to everyone? I kind of worry since I didn't know they were there for so long!

[align=center]
1jmb0j.jpg

ci16t.jpg

22zvur.jpg

2ni8wv7.jpg

a9v05e.jpg

2aj9cm0.jpg

2d9ok91.jpg

[/align]

Latest posts

Back