HUGE problem, please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kel

Reaction score
my bunny had a bout with stasis, went to the vet overnight, sent home on antibiotics and probiotics (no idea why these both at the same time? but vet said dont worry???) anyway, hes been off the meds for two weeks and still really wont eat. He's losing a ton of weight and is all bones now, we're force feeding him critical care a few times a day, but since im a college student, i cant feed him this more than twice a day, since i need someone to hold him also. He does have an appetite, but for things that arent food, like my pants, paint off the woodwork, or the carpet, but he still wont eat his food. I cant afford another 327 dollar vet visit, but i dont want my rabbit to die!!!! what do i do??? please help

Oh no.. . Where are you located? Can you put that in your profile?

Stasis is a symptom, not really the cause of health problems. Did your vet say what may have been the initial problem? Did they run any tests?

How exactly did the problem start?

Right off the top, if you're in the US, try and find some Nutri-Cal, it's a calorie/vitamin supplement made for cats and dogs but it's great for rabbits. It comes in a tube.

The pet stores and vets should carry it.

What breed is your bunny? How old is he?

sas :?

I have to use a probiotic with my rat because he is on Baytril. Using a probiotic replenishes the gut flora. I use yogurt with my rat, but feeding a rabbit yogurt is a very bad idea.

I am curious to know what your vet told you to use as a probiotic.

im in the US, CT. And my bunny's a mini rex. He started pooping after he stayed at the vet overnight and was given motility drugs. He's still pooping, no problems with that. He stopped pooping and eating on christmas when my mother moved his cage when i wasn't home.... she didnt know not to and now feels horrible. But the cage was put back exactly where and how it had been and it didnt help him out at all. The vet didn't run any tests that i know of, but bolton are the only vets around that i know of that take bunnies, the only animal hospital....... o, and my bunny's a little over a year old :?and never has had any issues before, he's neutered, pulled through that just fine... ugh i just dont know. I've had bunnies before, none with any issues, so im at a loss as to what to do. but like i said, i really cant bring him back to the vet unless its worse, since im totally broke, they didnt really help much last time, and its not like hes lethargic or anything, hes just as hyper as he was before he got sick, he just wont eat anything that resembles food.

Kel wrote:
im in the US, CT. And my bunny's a mini rex. He started pooping after he stayed at the vet overnight and was given motility drugs. He's still pooping, no problems with that. He stopped pooping and eating on christmas when my mother moved his cage when i wasn't home.... she didnt know not to and now feels horrible. But the cage was put back exactly where and how it had been and it didnt help him out at all. The vet didn't run any tests that i know of, but bolton are the only vets around that i know of that take bunnies, the only animal hospital.......
Who did you see at Bolton. That is where I go? Did you go in emergency or regular visit? Did you call back to let them know that he is like this?

How old is he?

Is he drinking on his own?

What do you normally feed him? Will he eat fruit or oats? Anything at all? (Food wise!)

Does he appear to be hungry, but just doesn't want to eat? Or no food interests him?

Poops are good!

The Nutri-Cal is the best bet for the immediate future, it can stimulate the appetite as well as provide some energy. If he's not drinking much, you may want to give him some Pedialyte. Bunnies tend to eat more when they drink.

sas :clover:

it was an emergency visit, a few different vets saw him... day shift, night shift.... i forgot the vet's name that i spoke to. I called back a few days after we got him home, when i thought everything'd be ok, since he was starting to eat and looked ok, but not since then

nm... perry was the vet that i spoke to. uhm, his diet before was mainly hay, pellets, veggies like lettuce, some fruit once in a while. We would give him a raisin or two a day since he loved them. He didnt like oats, and he looks interested, hungry, sniffing around for something to eat, but he passes over all of his food, and believe me we've tried everything. But like i said, he starts chewing on the woodwork, anything that interests him...and that isnt good for him!

I'm thinking it could be his teeth. I think PIPP is thinking the same - I'll let these guys help you along on that issue since they have dealt with it more. I'll be around tho :)

Pretty hefty bill for what you got if they didn't do tests, but that's the emergency thing I guess.

As JadeIcing asked, do they know that he still has issues?A followupshould be pretty cheap. Just tell them their treatment didn'twork and cross your fingers they'll give you a break!

Really need to find out why he's not eating. Is he taking the Critical Care fairly willingly or is it a fight?

sas :?

sometimes a fight, other times willingly. sometimes it seems like hes happy to get the critical care... like hes lazy? other times he spits some of it out. hes not drinking much, some days he drinks a bit, other days he wont touch the water...

Hi Kel,

I think we need to look at several things here. I think Pipp mentioned that stasis is usually a symptom of something else....and in this case you mentioned a profanity when it comes to rabbits....carpet fibers. Some paints also contain toxins.

First, let's look at husbandry. What breed? Age? Spayed/neutered? Weight? How do you house this bunny? Does he have access to bad things like carpet or other non-food items while you are not supervising him? What exactly do you feed....brand of pellets, how much and how often....hay...does he have access to unlimited hay? Do you feed green, fruits or other veggies? Any treats or other junk type food? How does he get water? Bottle, crock, something else? Is he drinking normally?

Next, what exactly was the diagnosis at the vet clinic? What tests were given to come to a diagnosis? What exactly is the antibiotic, why is it being given and in what dosage? What probiotic are you giving and the dosage? Were fluids administered while he was in the clinic? If not, why not?

A probiotic is usually offered when there is something interfering with the proper bacteria in the GI. Rabbits are hind gut fermenters. Their digestive system requires a diet low in protein (pellets are very high in protein) and high in fiber (lots of grass hays). If they are not fed properly, the bacteria population will change. That will result in problems. Stress can cause this. Ingesting non-food items can cause this. Taking antibiotics can alter the bacteria in the gut. Most people think that by giving a probiotic that you are replacing the bacteria. That is not exactly accurate. By using a probiotic, it helps to stabilize the pH in the gut which allows a more favorable climate for good bacteria. One of the best cultures that can be used is Lactobacillis Casei. I use a product called Bene-Bac which has this culture in it.

I would suggest offering him some canned pumpkin....not the pie filling but the real canned pumpkin. It can be found in the supermarket with the pie fillings. Just make sure it's canned pumpkin and not the pie filling. You can also mix the Critical Care in with it. We have had very sick rabbits eat pumpkin. Canned pumpkin is just what a compromisedrabbit GI needs....high in nutrition and fiber and low in sugar. Another favorite here with sick buns are dandelion greens. Just something to offer.

I just saw your last post. Something there really scares me and that is the use of motility drugs. I am not a vet and this is my personal opinion based on years of working with very sick rabbits....those type drugs are bad news and, again in my non-professional opinion, cause much more problems than they help....and again, in my non-professional opinion, I have never seen then do anything to help and it's usually the other way around. And again I must stress, this in just my non-professional personal opinion.

Here is a link to a rabbit rescue located in RI....this page has a listing of several vets in that area. Not familiar with the territory...just hoping one of these vets is near you. http://www.rirabbits.org/misc/misc.html#vet

Randy

I would advise to get some flavoured pedialyte, and see if he'll take it willingly. The flavour is like fruit juice, and my buns love it.

Help keep him as hydrated as possible. If a rabbit is dehydrated, he won't feel like eating much.

Keep up with the critical care. You can also make your own pellet slurry by soaking his regular pellets in water then mashing with a fork.

--Dawn

My buns drink mango flavored pedialyte like it's the best thing ever. Only time my flemmies will push each other and fight a bit. I buy the Walgreen's brand so it's cheaper. 2 for $7 rather than $7 each.

Have you tried canned pumpkin? It's a good source of wet fiber, it's soft and he may like it.

Sounds like he's a well-cared for little guy. (I LOVE my mini-rex, awesome little bunnies).

Was one of the intial drugs prescribed a pain killer like Metacam? (Meloxicam). He may have been eating intially because of the pain killer. Normally I'd say just go for more tests, including a dental xray, but if that was the case and you still havesome Metacam, I'dtry that, and then he starts eating, it will be a good indication.

It will NOT be a fix, though, it will just mask the problem allowing it to get worse.

So ... Nutri-Cal, Pedialyte, canned pumpkinand maybe Metacam (which MUST be given with food to a well-hydrated bunny). That will keep him going. Unfortunately, if it is a dental problem, it's not likely to be a simple one like molar spurs, that's not as common in rexes. You'll need a dental xray and if there is a tooth root issue (assuming the ER vets didn't see anything overtly wrong with his teeth, making it less likely tobe amalocclusion), it's going tobe a pricey fix.

I'd start looking at financialoptions like aCare Card now.

sas :clover:

EDIT: I was writing my post and didn't see Randy's, who -- as usual -- brings up great points. I'm leaning towards something other than GI (intestinal) issues only based on the normal poops -- they're a regular size and texture?No mucus?Strings? (They're likely to be smaller due to less input, but it doesn't sound much like a blockage at this point, two weeks after the fact). You're going to need a diagnosis, it's going to be a gamble what to do first re: a body xray or a head xray, or even a blood test. Always best to start with the most likely and if that doesn't tell the tale, move on to the next most likely. Always a tough call.

Kel, I added your location to your profile for you. I know it really helps people to know where you are and you have other things to worry about right now.

Sending lots of get well vibes to your boy. You've gotten a lot of great advice so far. My main concern would be to get that weight back on him (pellet slurry, nutrical, canned pumpkin) and get a good bunny vet who can help you find whats at the root of these symptoms.

I'm praying your bun pulls through, please listen to what has been said:hug:.

I will tell you that Randy is so correct in what he is saying. I had a vet give my bun, Angel (also a mini rex), a gut mobility drug (which I knew a tad ahead of time, but thinkingback, I wish I hadn't, she died:tears2:)and thinking about it makes me sick. Randy said he knew what would maybe happen, but I don't want to hear it, I just can't hear it (I'll never ever have it given to a bun of mine, ever again if I can help it :cry2.)

Please take the advice you've been given and consult with your vet.

I wish you both the best.:pray:

If you can get him in with a regular visit it should be $57 for the visit. Here is there page on fees. http://boltonvet.com/fees.cfm

I would ask for DR. Sims, Dr. Kopeck, (my first and secondary) I have not seen Dr. Zyra but heard awesome things.

Learn alittle about them here.

http://boltonvet.com/vets.cfm

ETA: There prices did go up alittle. Neuter before was $123 now $128. Vet visit was $54 now $57. Still very good prices for the area.

Call them depending how long since the bun has been in and so on they may work with you. The longer you wait the less likely they can work with you on this. I say call ASAP.

Latest posts

Back