how to tell...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemishr2cool

Reaction score
I've thought about posting this before on the showbunny yahoo group but I've always wondered what sort of response so I think I will post it here first...

I'm looking for good pictures that would show the difference between say pinched hindquarters, hollow loin, flat over the hindquaters, etc. Does anyone know of some good websites? I have seen drawings but those just aren't as good seeing the real thing. I'm just want to see them for myself, I have asked judges at shows to explain things about my own rabbits, and I've started figuring things out but a more in depth explanation rather than a hurried response before the next breed would be much nicer :)

I was going to start working on some photos soon for a website (in my spare time LOL)

Pinched hindquarters are most easily seen by getting a "bird's eye view" of the rabbit and looking down at it. The hindquarters form a "V" towards the rear like they have actually been "pinched".

A "hollow" loin lacks depth and width, leaving 2 "valleys" or hollow areas inside the hips. When you run your hand over the rabbit, you can feel the hips sticking out and you can also see the "dips".

Rabbits that are flat over the hindquarters lack depth.

I'll start working on photos soon.

Pam

Thanks for taking on such an ambitious project Pam! That would be a great page for Showbunny.com, maybe they can link on to it, I look forward to seeing it!

Julia

Latest posts

Back