How to tell if bunnies are unbondable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have three bunnies, 2 of them are bonded 100% (Male and Female), I'm trying to bring the third one into the group (Male). They are all pretty young still, around 1 year and younger.

The female doesn't seem to mind, but the two males seem to fight a bit and don't seem to be getting along. I just want to know, how to tell if they are unbondable? They don't have to be bonded, rather then just getting along which they don't seem to want to do.

I have tried pairing them for around 4 days now, and the one has licked the other a few times but it always ends in fights. I stop them fighting immediately obviously when I see it. They are all sterilized, but the one newer male is only recently (1week ago) neutered.

What are your guys thoughts?

I ended up keeping my pair in one room, and my single in a different room. I let them out to roam the house at different times, because it doesn't take long for the fur to fly, and I'm not willing to watch my bunnies fight each other to the death.

Have you tried bonding them in territory neutral zones? For example, a car or friend's house? I have had rabbits take literally years to bond, so I would never say a pair is unbondable, but there is a chance they couldn't bond within their lifetimes.

Another trick is to let them out together for just a few minutes per day (separate them again BEFORE the fighting happens) every day for a while. That way, they don't associate the other with fighting.

To begin with you can't put a male that has been neutered only a week ago with other rabbits - he is still fertile for about a month (some report up to 6 weeks) after the surgery. The fact that he still has sexual hormones won't help his relationship with the neutered buck either. So, let's start by waiting a few weeks.
Also, a trio is trickier than a duo to begin with (introducing a thirt party in a bonded duo is not easy either) and 2 males / 1 female really isn't the best configuration. Males put together will generally fight - males don't share a burrow in a natural setting. They can cohabit within a big group but it's even worst if your males are sharing one female companion. So, the success or failure will all come down to how dominant are the two males (though the fact that one bows down doesn't mean the fighting won't start again when the submissive one decides to become the boss later on - regular fighting and changes in the hierarchy are pretty common with males...). So, it can work but it probably won't be that easy.

To begin with you can't put a male that has been neutered only a week ago with other rabbits - he is still fertile for about a month (some report up to 6 weeks) after the surgery. The fact that he still has sexual hormones won't help his relationship with the neutered buck either. So, let's start by waiting a few weeks.
Also, a trio is trickier than a duo to begin with (introducing a thirt party in a bonded duo is not easy either) and 2 males / 1 female really isn't the best configuration. Males put together will generally fight - males don't share a burrow in a natural setting. They can cohabit within a big group but it's even worst if your males are sharing one female companion. So, the success or failure will all come down to how dominant are the two males (though the fact that one bows down doesn't mean the fighting won't start again when the submissive one decides to become the boss later on - regular fighting and changes in the hierarchy are pretty common with males...). So, it can work but it probably won't be that easy.

Agree. :yeahthat:

Hi All, and thanks for the responses.

Have you tried bonding them in territory neutral zones? For example, a car or friend's house? I have had rabbits take literally years to bond, so I would never say a pair is unbondable, but there is a chance they couldn't bond within their lifetimes.

I am currently pairing them in the bath, which i doubt falls into any of their territory. I can't pair in my car because the one starts pissing everywhere which obviously isnt the best in a car.

I thought that could be a problem. yeah i will do that. hopefully will be easier to bond them later on.

Thanks all. will wait it out and see how things go towards the end of the month :)

Back