How to measure leafy veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are all in the same boat...LOL I will say, have read several articles and a few recently in Rabbits or Rabbits USA magazines and the "packed" has been used numerous times....so based on those articles...a packed cup sounds appropriate. I have 3 babies at various ages...2 are not old enough yet. My 6 month old has been introduced to several veggies and a couple fruits....so he is getting about a cup a day (loosely packed) as he is doing well and I am increasing slowly to a packed cup. Just think, here we are wondering loose or packed cup of veggies and some bunnies NEVER get them at all!!!

Blue Eyes- that looks to me like at least 2-3 cups of veggies. My guess could be off though. :)

Your guess demonstrates why the OP posted the question. Perceptions can vary.

Without squashing the greens in the pic too much, I could fit them in a 1 cup measuring cup but it would overflow some -- so maybe 1 1/2 cups.

So not only are we trying to define cups, but "loosely" or tightly packed. I can see where there can be such a large variance between what constitutes 1 cup.

I took a cup,packed it with greens, dumped it out in his bowl, and got an eye for what that looks like. Now I know just by sight.

I did the same thing last night. Turns out my guess is right, Monty gets 1.5 to 2 packed cups twice a day, plus a couple sprigs of herbs :) Her salads fit nicely on a Frisbee

Thanks everyone. I normally don't measure it. I just wanted to kinda get a starting point. I have a nice size glass bowl I put their veggies in and I normally fill that up, with it spilling over the top. :)

For what it's worth, I'd recommend basing the amount fed on the nutritional value of the veggie you want to feed. The amount needed is based on what else is in the diet. So a blanket statement of one cup or two cups is pretty general. That could be over or underfeeding based on what the fresh food item is.

So a rabbit is to eat, hay, pellets and leafy greens all in the same day??

For what it's worth, I'd recommend basing the amount fed on the nutritional value of the veggie you want to feed. The amount needed is based on what else is in the diet. So a blanket statement of one cup or two cups is pretty general. That could be over or underfeeding based on what the fresh food item is.

I have read several articles about what green leafy veggies to feed and how often (like those containing oxalic acid, limited only a few times a week) OakRidgeRabbits do you have any suggested reading as to the nutritional contents???

Yep. Monty gets access to hay at all times, pellets twice a day, and at each pellet time, she gets a salad too. I put the bowl of pellets in my lap and feed salad one piece at a time by hand. Great bonding time and trust-building exercise.

very good to know :)

Ive always wondered at this too. So far I use this plate dedicated to bunny salad and as long as it fills it but doesn't go over. My vet told me a cup a day, but most of you are saying about two cups a day? I'm so confused.

I have read several articles about what green leafy veggies to feed and how often (like those containing oxalic acid, limited only a few times a week) OakRidgeRabbits do you have any suggested reading as to the nutritional contents???

I'm not sure where to point you, I feed pellets as the bulk of the diet with some hay just for something to graze on throughout the day.

That was just an overall recommendation because I often see websites generalizing the diet by providing a list of safe plants and then suggesting a measurement of a couple cups per day. However, if that is the bulk of the diet, you need to ensure that the plants included meet the rabbit's nutritional needs. Without that knowledge, a cup or two of veggies may still be lacking necessary vitamins/nutrients.

Ive always wondered at this too. So far I use this plate dedicated to bunny salad and as long as it fills it but doesn't go over. My vet told me a cup a day, but most of you are saying about two cups a day? I'm so confused.

It's based on weight of bunny. From House Rabbit Society:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html said:
What quantities of food should I feed mature adults? (1 to 5 years)

Unlimited timothy, grass hay, oat hay, straw
1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs. body weight (depending on metabolism and/or proportionate to veggies)
Minimum 2 cups chopped vegetables per 6 lbs. body weight
fruit daily ration no more than 2 oz. (4 TBL) per 6 lbs. body weight.
(There's a section for what to feed 7 months to 1 year, but it doesn't give an amount, just says "gradually increase veggies", so I looked at this to see what I'm increasing toward)

Monty is 9.5 lbs and I've got her up to almost 4 cups of greens a day. When this thread started, I made her the usual salad I've been giving her, and then packed it into a measuring cup and found it's about 2 cups. I'm increasing them gradually each week. Most importantly, I watch her. She has never suffered any mushy poop, but I make sure not to introduce something new two days in a row or make a big increase more than once a week.

:rabbithop

I think these are general guidelines as some people may prefer just pellets and hay and others may prefer more veggies with less pellets but still loads of hay. I think the most important thing is to get them eating as much hay as they can, it should be the bulk of their diet. Greens are great and mine eat a variet of different types of greens plus herbs which they love. They also get the occasional treat such as banana but only about a couple of times a week and very sparingly. They also get pellets, usually half an eggcup in the morning and another at night.

Each bun is different but the most important thing that they get is their hay and plenty of water. The other parts of their diet, i think, are at the preference of the owner and always allowing that the bunny can tolerate the greens without any upsets.

Latest posts

Back