HOW TO: handle to clip nails and carry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorbyJobRabbits

Reaction score
I've seen on here hundreds of times how do I hold the bunny to clip nails? How do I? HOW?! lol... and I've said hundreds of times I'd post pics on how. Finally dug out the tripod so I could!

There are other ways, but I've done this way probably since I was 6, and have always had some sort of LARGE breed... so it works with very little people as well as your average sized adult. I feel it's the easiest way for everyone! I just took pics of me standing to do everything, but you can also perform essentially the same thing in your lap =)

I used my Champagne D'Argent doe, Beth. She's not a happy bunny... and this is the first time since I have owned her that she has had her nails trimmed..... and I wanted to use a very heavy bun just to show it works with any size!

STEP ONE: Place one hand FIRMLY on their backside, pretty much all weight will be supported with this hand. Place the other hand on the back of their neck. Make sure their ears are in this hand... they will only sit at the back of your hand, to keep the head from moving, while you grab the scruff:

Like so:
304280_538670913980_196901155_30885694_7028858_n.jpg

STEP TWO: Gently pick up the rabbit, but FIRMLY! Like I said all weight will be supported in the hand on their rump. And just make it swift and smooth movements... having their rump in your hand will make them feel safe 'enough'.

Like so: Note all 10 pounds of her chubby butt are supported in the one hand... the other just keeps the head still, and the body in essentially a straight line so it gives her a less of a chance to kick
294273_538670923960_196901155_30885695_5003316_n.jpg

STEP THREE: Gently set her lower back and rump on a flat surface. She'll easily support herself and wont move... keeping your hand on her ears and scruff (THIS HAND NEVER MOVES THE ENTIRE TIME), will help to hold her still, and make her feel safe or atleast trusting in your hands.

Like so:
309601_538670933940_196901155_30885696_2860695_n.jpg

STEP FOUR: Let her back to where she is supporting her own weight on her back. Just keep her body straight which is aided by keeping your hand on her scruff and ears. Keeping the head in place is one of the keys. Keeping her weight on her back frees up your other hand to check her all over.

Like so: I was laughing at the fact you can pull her dewlap up over her nose if you try LOL... and try not to squish bunnies too much with your own chest lol.
185236_538670958890_196901155_30885697_5934542_n.jpg

STEP FIVE: You're free to do as you need with bunny... check teeth, check sex, check feet, and clip nails!

Volia:
302779_538670973860_196901155_30885698_2614554_n.jpg

CARRYING YOUR BUN:

I've always been taught the football hold. And while some of mine I will carry against my chest, not all sit as still, and I don't appreciate my chest scratched up. Also, buns are not tree animals, thus some do not feel safe being carried up so high. So I have always and will always rely on the football hold.

STEP ONE: Again grasp bunny as if you were going to turn them over to clip nails. Firm hand on bottom, and firm grip on scruff with ears tucked against the back of your hand. Almost all weight will be supported in the hand holding the rump the other just keeps bun from nose diving.

LIKE SO:

295707_538670983840_196901155_30885699_4444586_n.jpg

STEP TWO: Pull them to your side and carry like football. Buns are burrowing animals, having their nose in your arm is safe. I went through police academy, you carry your gun on your hip... you're taught if someone tries to take it to pull your elbow over it and keep it tight against your body. Even for someone weaker this is a good tactic... Remember this works well for a squirmy bun as well! You can pull your arm tighter to your body to help keep bun from moving.

This also frees up one hand.... and most of us ladies are not the strongest species, but we've hips.. which helps to keep a squirmy bun in place!

Volia:
311431_538670894020_196901155_30885693_5092219_n.jpg

I hoped this helps anyone with issues.

Very Nice Job Crystal! I also grab the rabbit like she posted above, But I also put the rabbits head between my arm and side (like a cradle) So I can put the rabbits nails better! So i can cover the rabbits eyes,

Where a lot of people mess up is remembering which hand goes where, and keeping it there. I've had to correct numerous 4-Hers when they start to pick up a rabbit to hold it, but then realize that they're trying to tuck it into the arm that is holding the head. Make sure when you set them up that their head is point toward one arm, and you grab their head with the OTHER arm.

Nice. Why don't you face the rear legs away from your face? I got kicked in the face when one of my rabbits decided to turn over. I had a good scratch down the side of my face. I always point the rear legs away from me now. Love the pics (Is that a Flemmish Giant?)

I've never been taught, nor do I have rabbits that misbehave to have to do it to be honest. I find that way the easiest and my face isn't close enough to ever get kicked. If I have a wiggle worm I can hold it closer into my chest, and if they're close enough they can't get the oomf in the kick.

and She's a Champagne D'Argent

Latest posts

Back