How to Find a Friend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsshaer

Franki
Reaction score
So, Clover, who was adopted in August, is finally feeling like a real part of the tiny family I have here. We're a small family of two humans (soon to be wed next year), three cats, and one bunny now. I'm so happy! I would like to make sure Clover is the happiest she can be, though. Lately she's been opening up a lot more. I feel like my time and effort being put into her is finally starting to 'pay off'. Today, for instance, she came up to me on her own free will while I was laying on the floor with one of the cats and actually nudged herself under my blanket and rested herself on top of my arm and let me pet her for a good while. She's layed with me before, but not that quickly and happily!

My fiance and I want to enlarge her pen. She is in a 'normal' one you get from Petco (she is only shut in it at night for bed-time, other than that she has free range of the whole room with us all day when we're home). We're going to make a larger one out of those grids in a section of the room.

When we do enlarge her pen, we wanted to look into getting her a rabbit friend to bond with. We were thinking to see if any rabbit-housing shelters would let us schedule a date to bring her in to look at the friendlier rabbits and see how she interacts with them. Do shelters do this? I want her to be happy with her new friend and I understand bonding can be very hard work and sometimes won't work out at all! If it doesn't work out, I will keep both rabbits separately, but then I'd have to get them BOTH a bonded partner later on. Four rabbits and three cats is a lot to take care of--especially money wise! But, I personally have never given up on an animal. Any tips on choosing a partner for her? She is a spayed female, just over a year old. Very friendly towards our cats, but a bit skiddish around people.

Most rabbit rescues will work with you to ensure you find a bondmate for your girl. Just let them know your intentions.
Typically you will bring your rabbit to the rescue (or whatever location they choose) and they will suggest a few rabbits. You decide which you would like to attempt first and they will walk you through the process.
Usually one of the rescuers will sit in the pen with the 2 rabbits to monitor their reactions. Hopefully they will also explain what signs they are looking for (if not, just ask).
Once you narrow it down to one rabbit, the fun begins. You can bring them home and continue the bonding. If you encounter problems or questions, the rescue will help (or others here on RO). If, for some reason, the two seem impossible to get along, then the rescue typically will allow you to exchange that newer one for another one. YOu'd just go back and start the process again.

Getting a larger cage for the 2 is a great idea, however I cannot suggest highly enough that you do NOT let your current bunny in the new cage until you've found her bondmate and they have successfully bonded. It will greatly simplify things if, once they are bonded and ready to share a cage, if they are able to go into a neutral cage together. Girls are notoriously territorial and it would be much better to have a 'new' space for them.

Yes, I have read and been told by some breeders I've ran across to never let the two stay together in the same cage until we are %100 sure they will be absolutely fine. I wanted to look into getting her a friend around the time we decide to upgrade her cage so it feels newer to her and like new 'territory' so it would be easier for her and her new buddy to adjust. In a similar manner, my fiance and I waited until we moved to adopt a new kitten when we only had two cats on us--that made adjusting them to one another a lot easier. I assume it's more difficult with rabbits, but I feel like I can manage if given guidance! I would feel awful having to 'exchange' the rabbit if things don't work out--but at the same time, I feel like I'd be making that rabbit miss out on another potential home that could house him/her better than I could you know?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate! I think we're going to look into enlarging her cage next month, so that'll hopefully be when my fiance decides it's the right time to get her a pal.

Just to reiterate... I wasn't sure if you got what I intended to say... do not ever let her step one foot in the new cage until she has completed the entire bonding process with the new rabbit. In other words, when you bring home the new rabbit, she will stay in her old cage and the new rabbit will have a separate, temporary area (x-pen, maybe). After they've gone through the bonding sessions and have progressed to being able to stay together 24/7 (could take many days or even weeks), only then, once the bonding is complete, would they get their first visit to the new cage.
If she just visits the cage just once beforehand, she will assume it to be hers and could turn territorial. If this happens, the bonding runs the risk of being undone as she 'claims' the cage as her own.
So, yes, they should not be in there together (or in any cage together) until the bonding is complete. BUT ALSO, she should not be in the new cage by herself at all. You'll want to save that for when she is able to go in it with her new bondmate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back