How to clean bunny pee stains on carpet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyGrandbunns

Reaction score
hello dear bunny family,
We had two bunns- a bonded pair. Sadly bunny wife died suddenly a few years ago. Now mr bunny man is a bachelor again. They have always had free range of the kitchen/living room as well as an open pen area for his litter tray, feeding etc and a wee den. I have shifted an armchair that they both loved hiding under. And even tho i had a wee mat under there, the carpet has pale orange strains- which must be from pee. The carpet is wrecked but i wondered if anyone found a good safe cleaner that helped such stains. Many thanks :)) Mary, New Zealand

Thanks Preitler.. i think i have ready about baking soda too actually- mixed with it. Will do some reading! thanks for your reply :))

I wonder if vingar with baking soda would work, wouldn't the soda neutralize the acid? The acid does the actual job of dissolving the calcium deposits that make those urine stains so hard to remove.

True- ideally a bunny friendly spray that's already mixed! i might ring the expert bunny vet who is in a nearby city.

Yeah, vinegar and baking soda will cause a reaction and neutralize the vinegar. I would do a vinegar/water mix separate from the baking soda, if you do decide to use the baking soda as well.

Hydrogen peroxide is a good cleaner for bunny pee as well. But it shouldn't be mixed with vinegar either, so needs to be used separate from the vinegar after it's dried. Also best to do a test spot first, to make sure it doesn't cause fading.

If you just want to buy an all purpose pet cleaner, I used to use natures miracle. It worked fairly well for new pee accidents, and I liked the smell of it, citrus and not a chemical smell. Don't know if you have it where you live though.

Often simple vingar does a better job at that than most detergents. let it soak for an hour, or so, and wah it out with a normal detergent. Not sure how well vingar works on carpet, but it is great on hard floor
hello dear bunny family,
We had two bunns- a bonded pair. Sadly bunny wife died suddenly a few years ago. Now mr bunny man is a bachelor again. They have always had free range of the kitchen/living room as well as an open pen area for his litter tray, feeding etc and a wee den. I have shifted an armchair that they both loved hiding under. And even tho i had a wee mat under there, the carpet has pale orange strains- which must be from pee. The carpet is wrecked but i wondered if anyone found a good safe cleaner that helped such stains. Many thanks :)) Mary, New Zealand
Vinegar and water mixed in a spray bottle, pulled bunny pee out of my white couch perfectly. I wouldn’t use baking soda though because it does have natural whitening capabilites and can pull some color pigment out of colors. Vinegar/water mixture will also get rid of the bunny scent.

Yeah, vinegar and baking soda will cause a reaction and neutralize the vinegar. I would do a vinegar/water mix separate from the baking soda, if you do decide to use the baking soda as well.

Hydrogen peroxide is a good cleaner for bunny pee as well. But it shouldn't be mixed with vinegar either, so needs to be used separate from the vinegar after it's dried. Also best to do a test spot first, to make sure it doesn't cause fading.

If you just want to buy an all purpose pet cleaner, I used to use natures miracle. It worked fairly well for new pee accidents, and I liked the smell of it, citrus and not a chemical smell. Don't know if you have it where you live though.
Many thanks dear JBun...yes i hate chemical smells too. Will google! :))

I also use dilute acetic acid (vinegar). It seems to be the standard.

I actually ended up buying a small, non-commercial wet vac -- one that looks like a small standard vacuum, but uses water & cleaning solution. It works well for larger areas, like when I pulled up rugs in the rabbits' room and found the same carpet staining.

I also use dilute acetic acid (vinegar). It seems to be the standard.

I actually ended up buying a small, non-commercial wet vac -- one that looks like a small standard vacuum, but uses water & cleaning solution. It works well for larger areas, like when I pulled up rugs in the rabbits' room and found the same carpet staining.
oh boy isn't it an unwelcome discovery- i moved the armchair and hello..plenty of wee stains under it!!

Have you tried oxi clean powder ?

I would give it a go somewhere unseen first to see at what kind of result s would come from it

Each carpet react s differently from what i have noticed

Its just a suggestion . . .

hello dear bunny family,
i agree with JBuns. I used a vinegar/water mixture on bunny urine on my white couch and it completely took it up. I also used the same mixture on my carpet. We are finally at a point she’s using her hay boxes consistently now.
I do have a bit of advice too. If she/he insists on using one small area to urinate and refuses to give it up, put a litter box there. I know with my bun she refused to give up on one corner. I put a litter box (hay box) there and that solved that.

Latest posts

Back