How should I pitter box train my bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbywachter

Reaction score
Peter who I'm guessing is about 2-3 months old goes in two corners of his cage. I went to the pet store and bought a corner pan but he won't go in it, he just switched sides. I could only find pine chips for the litter, they didn't have the hay your supposed to use (I don't know what it's called, any suggestions on hay?) im new to this whole bunny thing. And cage ideas? I want to get Peter a new bigger cage because the one he's in is just an oversized, overpriced litter box to me.

This is Peter
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1420586072.749510.jpg

Also does anyone know what breed he is? Pet supermarket wouldn't tell me. Also my first bun frosty I got from there had dieahrea then died 2 days later (she didn't tell me I was supposed to take them in when they had it) so I brought frosty back and got Peter, but he's had diahhreea twice and I took him back to the store twice for him to get treated, do you think he's sick or is it possibly a reaction?

Diarrhea in rabbits is very serious. Is there a rabbit vet nearby you can take him to? Peter is adorable, but pet stores can be horrifyingly lacking in proper animal care, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's picked up a tummy bug or been fed bad food there. Please take him to a vet to get a wellness check as soon as you can.

Corner litterboxes are usually too small for most rabbits to use comfortably. I use the biggest cat litter tray I can find.

Diarrhea in rabbits is very serious. Is there a rabbit vet nearby you can take him to? Peter is adorable, but pet stores can be horrifyingly lacking in proper animal care, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's picked up a tummy bug or been fed bad food there. Please take him to a vet to get a wellness check as soon as you can.

Corner litterboxes are usually too small for most rabbits to use comfortably. I use the biggest cat litter tray I can find.

Thank you for the advise, the pet store has treatment for him, and they have helped him twice with it, I don't know if there is a rabbit vet but I'm trying to find one right now, is there a special hat your supposed to use inside the litter pan? And the corner pan is much bigger than he is but he just doesn't like it and will go in the other corner

I'd remove all the bedding from his cage and use a fleece blanket. Only put loose bedding in the litter box and put hay in it or above it. They like to eat and go potty at the same time.

^^ agreed, except I wouldn't even use the fleece until he's trained. The fleece may be too tempting to pee on. They are less likely to pee on solid flooring.
Removing the loose litter, however, is definitely advised. Otherwise, it only serves to confuse bunny as to where to potty.

Rabbits like to go in corners so try using a box large enough for him to sit in and then put some Timothy hay In there for him to eat. As said before they tend to nibble when doing their business. Timothy hay is best and alfalfa hay should only be used in small quantities as a treat since it is fattening. I would stay away from some of the wood chip bedding as some can actually be harmful and try to stick with some sort of paper bedding. It tends to absorb more and is better for them.

Timothy hay is best and alfalfa hay should only be used in small quantities as a treat since it is fattening. .

Actually alfalfa hay is perfectly fine and often recommended for rabbits that are still under 6 months of age. Young rabbits are still growing and can benefit from the extra protein and calcium found in alfalfa. Once over 6 months, it should be switched to timothy or some other grass hay.

The diarrhea is probably diet related. What exactly is he eating and in what amounts every day?

Latest posts

Back