how old is too old to spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiakirk

Reaction score
Puff is a little over three years old and I'm reading more and more about the health benefits of spaying, but I'm not sure if she is too old. She's very healthy with no history of illness. Also, what's the usual price range for bunny spaying??

She's not too old, though I'd consider spaying her soon so that she doesn't have those maturity-hormones more often.

The price varies in different countries and states. I'd save up around $200-300 depending on the rabbit and where you live.

She isn't too old, there really isn't an upper age limit as long as they are healthy. She should have an exam before surgery and even blood work done just to help rule out any issues.

I got my Bunny spayed at age 3 1/2 right after I adopted her. She recovered without any problems & lived to be almost 12.

The cost was about $200 but that was 8 years ago.

Last edited:
3 is definitely not too old, but every rabbit should have a full physical exam before anesthesia and adding on bloodwork to check organ function is also beneficial. The cost of the procedure varies alot from location to location. One good way to find a low-cost option is by contacting local rabbit rescues and finding out what vet they use/recommend. Chances are they do a lot of rabbit spays and have a good price.

You shouldn't have any problems at that age, but you can always ask the doctor to do a blood panel and a full check up to determine is she is healthy enough to undergo the operation.

Latest posts

Back