How often?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How often to you hold your rabbits and for how long?

I never hold my rabbits because they don't like to be held. I pick them up when necessary to put them in a carrier cage to the vet, sometimes to get them back in their living room cage at beddy-bye time. I have now two very energetic babies..they're flemish rabbits. I sometimes will pick them up if they are chewing on something they shouldn't...this is to distract them.

Bunnies like you to set on the floor beside them. If you're setting on a couch, getting the bunny to lay beside you will often work.

When I carry a bunny, it's often in my cross arms in front of my chest. This is the standard carry. I don't think they really like this carry.

I think the bunny is more relaxed if I place its front paws over my right shoulder, and cup its hips in my left hand and use my right hand to hold the bunny against my chest. This way the rabbits head is up and free and looking behind me as I carry it. A disadvantage that they are looking backward, but they seem to be very comfortable with this carry.

I never hold my rabbits because they don't like to be held. I pick them up when necessary to put them in a carrier cage to the vet, sometimes to get them back in their living room cage at beddy-bye time. I have now two very energetic babies..they're flemish rabbits. I sometimes will pick them up if they are chewing on something they shouldn't...this is to distract them.

I have read that some bunnies like to be held in your lap. It's probably an individual thing for the rabbit. However, bunnies like you to set on the floor beside them. If you're setting on a couch, getting the bunny to lay beside you will often work.

When I carry a bunny, it's often in my cross arms in front of my chest. This is the standard carry. I don't think they really like this carry.

I think the bunny is more relaxed if I place its front paws over my right shoulder, and cup its hips in my left hand and use my right hand to hold the bunny against my chest. This way the rabbits head is up and free and looking behind me as I carry it. A disadvantage that they are looking backward, but they seem to be very comfortable with this carry. Before I introduce a bunny to the back or front yard, I carry them around with their front feet on my shoulder to introduce them to the surroundings. After they've had a look around looking from my shoulder, I start to let them loose outside the house. Worked fine with my previous rabbit...I don't know this will work with my young mischevious flemish rascals

My bunnies seem to like being held. But I started holding them and getting them used to it as soon as I got them home. Going to warn you now though I'm ocd. I hold them each 3 times a day for 5 minutes on work days and 3 times a day for 10 minutes on weekends. I end up just walking them around the living room like a baby. Both of them bunny purr (light grinding) while being held and petted.

Latest posts

Back