How often do you clean your bun's litterboxes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olliefolyfe

Reaction score
Just curious :) I've been cleaning Ollie's once or twice a day. They really are little turd machines aren't they!

I clean Remi's box everyday ;she is a poop machine and very messy. and Ringo's box gets cleaned every other day ;he is very clean and his litter box is bigger so it doesn't make it dirty as quickly as Remi does.

I clean my bun's about every 2x/week but I use a rubbermaid bin with a grate on top so everything falls through. Its not like he's sitting in 3 days worth of pee&poops.

hamsterfeet wrote:
I clean Remi's box everyday ;she is a poop machine and very messy. and Ringo's box gets cleaned every other day ;he is very clean and his litter box is bigger so it doesn't make it dirty as quickly as Remi does.
yeah I can't imagine what it would look like if I didn't clean it once a day! She seems to poop and pee at the same time twice a day, and it's always a lot. Where did you get the bigger litter box from?

degrassi wrote:
I clean my bun's about every 2x/week but I use a rubbermaid bin with a grate on top so everything falls through. Its not like he's sitting in 3 days worth of
pee&poops.

That's a good idea! Where did you get the grate top?

I have 4 giant litter boxes for 2 dwarf rabbits and I still have to clean them everyday! Ha.

I line mine with newspaper first, and then Carefresh Bedding. I can scoop out the poops and wet bedding some days and just put a sprinkling of new bedding down rather than having to change the whole thing. It is amazing how much poo comes from those small buns' bums!

Tesla and Kraken get theirs scooped daily. They pee and poop in the corner, so it builds up faster and needs to be scooped every day.
Everyone else gets scooped once a week.
Everyone gets the litter box dumped, scrubbed and scrubbed with vinegar once a week.

Twice per week (or once every 4 days) is all I need to do because of how I have it set up. They are never sitting directly on their pee or poo. Remember, there is no need to be overly concerned about "poo." For rabbits, it is dry and clean and pretty odorless too. It's just the urine that gets smelly.

I should note that my litte rbox never gets smelly unless I go longer than 4 days. With a proper set up, there should be no need to be changing the box every day.

Here is my setup (the box is just any storage box from wal-mart -- no need for an "official" litter box)

6ekmtg.jpg

I do every other day. Like blue eyes mentioned, I haven't noticed his poop being a problem... never stick to him or anything, and he doesn't mind (or at least show he minds!)
If it starts to get stinky before the every other day mark I'll change it, but my litter (walmart brand of yesterday's news) seems to absorb all the smells and pee pretty well!

Twice a day at minimum. I like it clean! And I think Agnes does too :)

I scoop the boxes 1x per day. I dump all the litter 1x per week. I could go longer between scooping but I just like to do it. The litter that I use controls the smell AMAZINGLY!!!!

degrassi wrote:
I clean my bun's about every 2x/week but I use a rubbermaid bin with a grate on top so everything falls through. Its not like he's sitting in 3 days worth of
pee&poops.

The grate is just lighting diffuser(also called 'eggcrate', the stuff used to cover fluorescent lights). It comes in a 2x4' piece and I just cut it to fit inside the bin. I used to use pieces of PVC pipe to hold it up but now I just put screws around the edge of the tub to hold it up. Works great. I have pictures but photobucket isn't working for me right now.

I clean the box in Timmy's cage basically everyday and the one on the floor in my room maybe once every 3 days (basically as needed).

degrassi wrote:
degrassi wrote:
pee&poops.

The grate is just lighting diffuser(also called 'eggcrate', the stuff used to cover fluorescent lights). It comes in a 2x4' piece and I just cut it to fit inside the bin. I used to use pieces of PVC pipe to hold it up but now I just put screws around the edge of the tub to hold it up. Works great. I have pictures but photobucket isn't working for me right now.
I built long "legs" out of eggcrate to go along two sides of the grid and secured them with zipties... I also only change boxes 1-2x a week, but then again there's two in the cage/one in the pen so the messes are spread out. I LOVE the eggcrate grid - makes me very happy that my little bunns never have to sit in their poop :D

Back