How often do you bring your rabbit(s) outside (the house) ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you bring your rabbit (s) outside the house?

• Every chance I get

• A lot of the time

• Sometimes

• Rarely

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

larryng

Reaction score
I had Bagel, my last rabbit, for over three and half years and she's been out of the house around 10 times.

Three vet visits.

A brought her to friends and family houses for show and tell a couple of times.

I had rabbit harness one time. I took out maybe three times with the harness. The harness was not very secure and plus my neighbors have their dogs running around without leashes.

I don't take my rabbit out very often because I'm paranoid about them escaping.

How about you?

Well, we go hopping all the time so usually a few times a month, then vet visits and just going around the neighbourhood on a harness or in the stroller. I love taking my guys outside, I do think it's beneficial for them to get out of the house.

I haven't taken him outside yet. I plan to once he is older. Right now I see no way of keeping him from trying to eat everything or at least trying it since he tries to nibble everything he can and there's not much in the room that he's in that isn't permanently attached to the room.

I am hoping he will enjoy going places. I can't take my dog since he is so big and gets so excited although he does go with us when we travel.

I try to get the kids out of the house at least once a week, depending on the weather. However, I am paranoid about them getting sick from being in contact with something or escape, so they always go in the stroller. I can load them up in the house, stroll around the park, and then unload back in the house. They never are out of the carriers but they still get sunshine and fresh air. In the winter they do more pet store strolls, but spring through fall it is the park. It was the best $40 I have ever spent in my life.

So much depends on the situation. I too am concerned about parasites from wild rabbit droppings & possible encounters with stray dogs & cats. I have an outdoor xpen that's set up all the time except when mowing. I periodically sprinkle the grass in it with diatomaceous earth [food-grade] every few weeks & let it settle in a couple days before Honey comes out.

Brandy, where did you get that nice stroller for only $40? I've only seen them advertized for $$$.

I live in an apartment so buns go on patio daily weather permitting. Going to build a safe house, like an outdoor hutch acting like a dog house for hay water and relaxation :)

Scone only went outside on the grass a few times in his life. He was basically terrified the whole time and couldn't wait to come back in again. He visited a lot of Cub Scout packs, though, and in the last year of his life he went to the vet (and into my office for sub-q fluids) more often than either of us would have liked.

Natasha's only been away from the house twice, for her spay and a follow-on checkup. I carried her out on the lawn once, but she didn't like it.

The price has gone up a wee bit, but still $45 is not bad at all.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00339I750/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here it is in action
123.jpg

115.jpg

All four can go together. The carrier parts come off for riding in the car safely. The stroller frame folds down when the carriers are not on it so it fits in my trunk.

I use puppy wee pads folded around the bottom of the carriers to deal with any accidents. The pictures were taken on a more chilly day, which is why the kids are back in the covered part. Most of the time they are all stretched out in the sunshine and love to "chat" with people as we walk by.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have 2 pet rabbits i believe fresh air is good 4 rabbits like it is 4 humans,but if my pets stayed inside they would still be happy,my pets have half of my living room it is converted for them ( open cage 24/7),but if they did escape they would bolt & id never see them again,they would probably get run over by a vehicle or a dog or human would kill them,so i always keep an eye on them when they are outside i do have a locked gate mind you,they like the cold air especially,but i agree with you better safe than sorry...jason england...

OOooh I like the stroller idea. I've only ever taken Harvey out in his carrier for vet visits. He didn't seem to keen on it. I also live in an apartment with no patio. So he stays indoors. Plus I think it might freak him out a little if he did. I am a little tempted by that stroller. I know Merlin would like it and then I wouldn't have to worry about him taking off on me to explore haha.

I let Squish out in our yard daily, when we have the air conditioner off. 2-4 times per week when the air is on. The other 3 are not as fond of being out.

We have also taken the buns to church a couple of times.

Peppy only goes outside on the way to the vet, or if we're moving.
No matter what I do, or if my animals are treated.. I keep ending up with flea problems every few months. I hate hate hate them. I really think it's the area.
To minimize the chances, all my pets are indoor only.

i never bring mine outside. sometimes though every few months or when its the time i clip his nails, i'll hold him in my lap and ligtly and non-painfully i'll pluck out the shedding fur and let it blow away in the wind since this is easier than brushing to my opinion (but i still brush him every now and then). but otherwse my bunny is strictly indoors

I live in an apartment so June doesnt get outside time :(

She did go to the vet once though.

Im really liking the stroller btw!:D

Latest posts

Back