How much time do you spend with your buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blossom is super cute!

But omg, horses being 3 hours away? I would loose my mind! My horses need to be close because I see them everyday, & ride 4 times a week. Like I said before, I have trust issues. The longest distance I've ever drove for them was 45 mins, & that didn't last for long. We have a ton of snow here too, but I also have an indoor arena to ride in, so snows not an issue for me :)

Vanessa, I may have to move in with you! I've attached a pic of my big beautiful boys!

Nice horses! Makes me wish I could get a few ;)

@lovelops that is soooo sweet! She must really love you! 😊💕

Yeah I think she does.. ! I was like, Ohhhh poor baby..... the minute we got her in the hallway she flopped down near our bedroom doorway and took a nap! :)

Poor little girl. I had no idea. Poor girl, sleeping on top of the cage..
Well every night she is going to be back with us and if she gets into the
room again and hides under the bed, screw it. I'm not going to tear the bed apart and mess my ribs up again. She can sleep under there until one of us can get her little lop butt out!

Vanessa

I'm a little late to the conversation, but I thought I'd weigh in anyhow. Mouse has the run of the house, so even when we're not specifically on the floor playing with him, he'll choose to play 'follow the leader' down the hall or hop up on his Daddy's lap when his Daddy is busy working, or jump on my laptop and press a series of keys which only he knows, and which lock my keyboard in french mode. We're lucky in that my husband works from home so the two of them always have each other for company (and distraction).

Then later, when we're all together and Mouse is active, we'll usually give him a couple of hours throughout the evening of playing around on the floor, head scribs, and letting him climb/chase us.

I agree that they are like children in many ways - super social and attention seeking, but also incredibly intelligent and in need of stimulation. Toys are a must, but as we all can likely remember from being children, what fun are toys when you don't have someone to play with? That's mom and dad's job ;)

Really??? Awww... your going to have to post more photos!
What a beauty! How much riding time do you get in a week?

Vanessa

Well she's just a yearling so I don't ride her but Tucson my older horse, which will be leaving me soon due to an old knee injury that makes her stiff, I got 6-10 hours in a week depending on how much time I spent during the weekend. Sometimes way more and sometimes less. This is Tucson and I on a trial ride: 1392440770374.jpg

And this is Mariah but she is flicking her ear so it looks like it's gone:1392440858888.jpg

Here's another:1392440914263.jpg

Rabbitsforme: your horses are beautiful, especially Mariah! :) Mariah was my first horses name. She is no longer with us, but she thought me a lot!

This pic was taken about 6 years ago. Can you tell I love grey horses!

image.jpg

Rabbitsforme: your horses are beautiful, especially Mariah! :) Mariah was my first horses name. She is no longer with us, but she thought me a lot!

Aww so cute. I've known many grays and they have all been sweet hearts. This is mariah and I at fair last year

Normally Mason has the run of my daughter's room, the hallway, and the bathroom. But he gets tons of loving. We all go in to say hi every day. He is always bopping us to get attention. Or a scratching us to move. He doesn't like to be in the other parts of the house. If we bring him out he runs back to his room. This week were missing him at the fair. But I'm guessing he will have loads of attention with all the people there plus we will check on him every day.

YES! What a great photo of you two together! Wow... I'm sorry that she is no longer with you... :(

Vanessa

Yes, rabbits can be housed in a hutch or dogs outside in a kennel and be both fun and true pets.

Animals can adapt to many environments, and we've bred and domesticated them to be more content in our homes. There are some animals that prefer being indoors. I dog sit for a few dogs who would rather lounge on the couch than sprawl in the grass. But by the same token, some animals are hard to keep indoors. Everyone knows of the cat that races out the door as soon as it cracks open, or the dog that bounds outside at every opportunity. Some animals develop destructive behaviors (to our belongings or to themselves) if they're kept indoors too long.

Anyway, it's just something to consider. :) We enjoy having our pets indoors for our own convenience, but we can also love and have fun with animals outdoors too.

I always have a rough time deciding how to go about housing my pets. My entire family is super allergic to pets with fur, so that makes things difficult lol.
For us it has been a choice for the animal. I've had chickens that live inside (with a diaper) because they crave human attention, and a goose that started as a house pet and decided she would rather be outside.
So now our bunnies get to make their own decisions too. I started with just 2, but as I'm sure most of you know if you have the means your bunny population quickly inflates! So now we have 5, and a litter of 3 babies.
Bugsy, Red, and Bella (with Red's litter of 3 who will be off to their new homes a few weeks) are outdoor bunnies. They have a big ole hutch and get to come out to play in the dirt and the sun regularly. Bugsy and his brother never had the space they wanted indoors. They wanted to dig and chew and run and jump and they just seemed happier outside and now Bugsy has his two ladies with him.
Lulu and Misty are mostly indoor bunnies. They looooove people and human attention, so they get to live inside and only go out to play in the good weather, although "day after rain" ground is definitely a must because they can't get enough of that cool wet dirt to dig around in.
I love that everyone here is so understanding and helpful no matter how you love your bunnies as long as you love them :bunnyheart

Having both at the same time it's easy for me to see that Lulu and Misty are a bigger part of the family, where Bugsy and fam are more "pets" that we give a few head rubs to when outside and "check on" and take cute pictures of rather than constant time together even just hanging out in the same room. So many of your buns are SO lucky to have found their human who is ready to give so much time to buns with people loving personalities. Lulu was a cage bunny that lived the first year and a half in a 3ft by 18 in cage, never coming out, only getting the occasional head pat. I was astounded by her super friendly and human loving personality when she came to me. I would spend all day snuggling her if I could!

Back