How much time do you spend with your buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your point Vanessa and after dinner I do play with rabbits not for long, but I do. During weekend though it is a different story. I ride horses all weekend. My mom and I often drive the three and a half hour drive down to my trianer while my dad watches over the bunnies. I admit, that during the winter I should be spending more time with my rabbits because we board our horses at my trainers due to the heavy snow (we have a good foot and a half) and I don't ride them every day. If I really tried I could get in a good 2 hours of bunny play a day and tons more on a lazy weekend. You know how time can slip away and I spend too much of it doing chores and homework and cleaning up puppy pee that I spend all I can being lazy in bed or whatever because I feel that all those chores and homework will only become more abundant as I move in to higher level classes (such as de an ap) in high school and off to college.

My goodness.. I was going to say where do you live where you have to board your horses that far away! I feel sorry for you guys having to drive that far to get to your beautiful horses!!!!

Wow.. Where I live we have boarding literally 5 minutes from my house. I'm literally in horse country so there is an Equestrian Center in the next city over from where I live so we have horse shows here every 6 months and my husband sometimes sells tacks and other horse supplies. So I do understand how time does and will slip away.. I think it's just being able to get a good routine down so you get everything in (I'm not telling you you I mean for me and anyone in general...) that needs to be done and I'm still working on that as an adult.

Vanessa

My goodness.. I was going to say where do you live where you have to board your horses that far away! I feel sorry for you guys having to drive that far to get to your beautiful horses!!!!

Wow.. Where I live we have boarding literally 5 minutes from my house. I'm literally in horse country so there is an Equestrian Center in the next city over from where I live so we have horse shows here every 6 months and my husband sometimes sells tacks and other horse supplies. So I do understand how time does and will slip away.. I think it's just being able to get a good routine down so you get everything in (I'm not telling you you I mean for me and anyone in general...) that needs to be done and I'm still working on that as an adult.

Vanessa

I could board my horses like 25 min away but boarding 800 dollars a month I think and all the cheaper places have weird owners or rules like only geldings are allowed. We've bounced around but we love the place we're at even of it is far aqay

I personally will NEVER keep another bun in a small hutch, it will be a house bunny from now on. much Much funner, they truely are members of the family. I guess this is akin to folks who keep their dogs chained or kenneled outside 24/7, are they fun or truely pets? I would not think so.

Yes, rabbits can be housed in a hutch or dogs outside in a kennel and be both fun and true pets.

Animals can adapt to many environments, and we've bred and domesticated them to be more content in our homes. There are some animals that prefer being indoors. I dog sit for a few dogs who would rather lounge on the couch than sprawl in the grass. But by the same token, some animals are hard to keep indoors. Everyone knows of the cat that races out the door as soon as it cracks open, or the dog that bounds outside at every opportunity. Some animals develop destructive behaviors (to our belongings or to themselves) if they're kept indoors too long.

Anyway, it's just something to consider. :) We enjoy having our pets indoors for our own convenience, but we can also love and have fun with animals outdoors too.

By fo-fo I mean soiled. And when you say you rabbit will be 15-20lbs thats sounds like a Flemish is that what you have? I love them!! My dad had one that was pushing 25 lbs and that wasn't all fat either. Her cage was over 12 ft long.

He he!, you mean spoiled, right... ;) . He/she is a mix, 1/2 Flemish Giant, 1/4 New Zealand, 1/4 English Lop, they have the best of all three breeds and are a bit smaller than a pure Flemish. Should mix in our family perfectly. We have a 48" (ex large) dog crate plus and ex pen attached so it's a nice roomy sleeping/eating area. We will have him/her out a lot after the adjustment phase. I look forward to meeting our new bun this Saturday! :brownbunny: :)

It takes me two hours a day to clean and feed all my 11 rabbits, and 3 guinea pigs. I let them individually roam the house while I clean each of their cages.
It's exhausting. I wish I had more time to just sit and relax with them instead of clean clean clean.

In many ways rabbits (& other pets) are like children and every one will have different views and ideas on how to look after them. Personally I would feel horrible if I was to leave Blossom in her pen all day. But I guess everyone has different lifestyles which may or may not permit them to have their bunnies out to play for long. In my opinion the main thing would be that they have lots of space to exercise, lots to keep them occupied or another bunny to interact with if you are unable to spend much time with them!

Blossom is a very spoiled bunny but I personally don't find anything wrong with that! I let her out her pen in the morning to run around with the dog while I get ready for university. My mum and younger sister play with her for about an hour or so while I am away! And when I return I have her out up until I go to bed! I am not constantly on the floor with her, sometimes I just let her do her own thing! Nor do I chase her around trying to force her to play with me however, I find that she really enjoys spending time with me and often hops up onto my bed beside me whilst I do my course work. When I go to stay at my boyfriends house I bring her with me as she now has a pen at his too! She also comes on short visits with me to my granny and papas house!

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1392054498.840250.jpg

P.s. This is Blossom on her new princess bed! 😜🐰👑💕

Blossom is super cute!

But omg, horses being 3 hours away? I would loose my mind! My horses need to be close because I see them everyday, & ride 4 times a week. Like I said before, I have trust issues. The longest distance I've ever drove for them was 45 mins, & that didn't last for long. We have a ton of snow here too, but I also have an indoor arena to ride in, so snows not an issue for me :)

Vanessa, I may have to move in with you! I've attached a pic of my big beautiful boys!

image.jpg

I spend as much time with my buns as I can. Unfortunately I had to put Chloe into a separate room until I get her fur mites under control, but until then, I pet her as frequently as I pass through that room (which is basically like a hallway to the rest of the house, so every half hour? I just ensure I wash my hands in hot water after each petting session.)
She will get a lot of floor time once she has been treated, because she was an outdoor bunny I do not want her to get too stressed. When I had her on the floor in that other room when she first came home, she followed me all over the room and hopped up in my lap. SO cute. :)

Buster gets a little less playtime than I wish to admit. He hops all over his cage, and gets cuddles a lot, but when he's on the floor, it's almost like I have to chase him (or lour him with treats...he'll do anything for a yogurt drop) lol to get him back in his cage. I hate doing that because it stresses him out, and it stresses me out, and everyone is just stressed out. I let him hop all over my bed, though, it seems a lot easier to catch him from there. :)

Blossom is super cute!

But omg, horses being 3 hours away? I would loose my mind! My horses need to be close because I see them everyday, & ride 4 times a week. Like I said before, I have trust issues. The longest distance I've ever drove for them was 45 mins, & that didn't last for long. We have a ton of snow here too, but I also have an indoor arena to ride in, so snows not an issue for me :)

Vanessa, I may have to move in with you! I've attached a pic of my big beautiful boys!

That's only for the winter. I keep them at my house during better months but this winter has been unusually cold and snowy. Here's my yearling

1392163233420.jpg

He he!, you mean spoiled, right... ;) . He/she is a mix, 1/2 Flemish Giant, 1/4 New Zealand, 1/4 English Lop, they have the best of all three breeds and are a bit smaller than a pure Flemish. Should mix in our family perfectly. We have a 48" (ex large) dog crate plus and ex pen attached so it's a nice roomy sleeping/eating area. We will have him/her out a lot after the adjustment phase. I look forward to meeting our new bun this Saturday! :brownbunny: :)

Yes spoiled....
Sound like a cool rabbit! Do you know if it will have lop ears. I have always wanted a English lop but I have enough rabbits already.

Blossom is super cute!

Wow, they are beautiful and I agree if I had horses I would not want them that far away. I would be wondering about them the entire time. Come on down Mariah, the more the merrier! :)

Time spent with my bunnies... ok now this morning my husband woke me up at a little before 6am to show me Lady in the kitchen. She runs around the kitchen since I've had the accident with my ribs..

She was SLEEPING ON TOP OF HER CAGE.. facing the doorway so she could see us... I was so sad :(

We picked the cage up immediately and put it in the hallway adjacent to our bedroom and I guess we are going to have to do that every night because she misses being around us since I had my ribs messed up. But I had no idea she was sleeping on top of her cage so she could see us better coming back into the kitchen.. OH that makes me sad...

So she was really happy this morning. So for the day she can run around and play in the kitchen. At night she is going to have to come back to the hallway.

Vanessa

Back