How much salad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowena

Reaction score
Each day? Ive been giving Chinny probably 1 cupeach morning, but she always wants more! lol I dont want to give hertoo much. She eats her pellets and hay.

Right now she's getting: cilantro, mint, parsley and dandelions when Ican find some. Running out of them in the yard, so I have some plantedin a pot in here. Hope they grow! I think we have plantain growing outthere, but Im too worried about giving it to her, since Im not sure.

Anything else I could or should add to her regular salad? Anything Ishould cut back on? I just take some of each, chop it some and give itto her.

Thanks!

Virginia

I saw rose leaves? Is that the leaves from any kind of rose bush? I have some of those too lol

I give mine a couple of cups each, but they arelarger than Chinny. If I give them more, they don't eat theirhay, and we all know how important it is.

Laura

Between my two rabbits, they eat 3-4 cups a day.But of course, I had to work them up to that amount, and do supplementwith limited pellets and lots of grass hay.

Oh, and they eat:

- Romaine lettuce

- Spring Mix

- Parsley

- Cilantro

- Raddichio

- Carrot greens

- Basil / Mint leaves

Plus some kale and collard greens once or twice a week, in moderation.They may also get a few slices of apple or a couple baby carrots, butthose treats are rare.

I saw rose hips for bunnies the other day...they looked like dried rose buds. YUMMY says Shorty and Star ;)

I feed the herd about a cup per meal. Twice a day.I will give them a slice of carrot and celery if they play extra hard:)

Thanks everyone! Im not sure if its a cup ornot, maybe Ill measure it this morning :) She gets some in themornings, then she has pellets and hay all day. By evening time, when Iwalk by her cage, she is looking at me, then her plate like Uh hello?Id like some more salad! LOL

They have raddichio at the grocery store. Maybe Ill add some of thatnext :) I guess I should check out the list. I like giving her a nicevariety of greens.

Thanks again :)

Virginia

I have a question.

Some time back I dropped an avocadopeal on the floor and Bella was all over it, even Buddha came up for abite. But everywhere I’ve looked there is no mention ofwhether avocado is safe for rabbits. Since then I have giventhem more (they love it,) but not too often.

Is it safe?

Janet

I was feeding all of my buns about 1 1/2 cups aday, but it was starting to cost more that I thought. I wasspending about $15 a week at the farmers market. That didn't includethe bananas, raisins, craisins, apples, pears, oats, etc.

If my garden goes well, I'll be able to add to what I buy and work themup to every day greens again. The buns certainly looked much nicer witheveryday greens!

Now I alternate days. One day greens...the next day oats and treats.

They always have unlimited hay and limited pellets every day.

~Jim

I'm not good about measuring, I just throw inwhatever looks good!! They love it and generally eat most of it rightoff (in the evenings) but finish the last lil bit throughout thenite. Corky is getting pretty much unlimited greens right nowsince that seems to be what he's eating again. Doc saidwhatever he'll eat to get him well. Once I know he's good and strongand acting normally for a few days I'll back those down and hopefullyforce him back to pellets.

Miffy gets a romaine lettuce leaf, a handful ofdandelion leaves, cilantro and parsley every night. She hasunlimited hay and a handful or two of pellets every otherday. Plus she goes outside everyday so she gets regular grasstoo. I should be giving her some more variety with her greensthough. Oh and she also gets a pinchful of shredded carrotsmaybe every other day also.

Yes, the rabbits do also go outside every niceday we have, so they get a lot of mixed grasses, clover, and dandelions(we're into the "all natural" lawn here :cool:)

Your welcome! I know I have read that birds cant have it, or shouldnt. We dont eat it, so I never have it here lol

Virginia

With 9 buns, 9 lizards and 5 rats, all of whomeat salad everyday, it gets expensive, so at this point everyone gets adish full. Some days I give them more, but most days, it'sjust 1 dish.

My vet said that they can have as much as they want as long as it doesn't upset their tummies.

Jen

I wrote to the person who published the RabbitFood list and asked her about the avocado…I didn’t give them any of themeat, just the skin. But now I’m a bit worried after readingthe bit about weakening the heart! Double Eek!:shock:

Janet

Latest posts

Back