How much do your buns cost monthly?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two buns.

Veggies monthly= approx £25
For a month I usually buy perhaps 2 bags of carrots, a few individual parsnips and perhaps a few tomatoes, maybe 2 or 3 bags of different lettuces etc. like one romaine, one spinach, one kale, then usually some herbs which I differ over the months. A bag of celery also, a swede, 2 cucumbers, a pak choy or two, and then a bag of apples and a bunch of bananas etc. It really adds up! They do adore it though. Perhaps I would alternate the pak choys for a large broccoli between the months etc. and add in some different fruit to try. I try and give them 5 different veggies a day.

Pellets monthly= approx £10 because I buy in bulk and they don't live soley off pellets
Hay monthly= well I get a huge bale of hay which lasts me months and months and months for £4 from a farm so basically nothing
Vet bills monthly= £15 a month for Benji's teeth trimmings (continuing over approx 6month period perhaps more to realign teeth. If doesn't work will have to consider removing teeth which will cost a loootttttt more :(). Then 3 times a year each £20 vaccination.

So in total excluding the £120 a year for vaccinations, £35 a month on food and £50 including vets bills atm.

My buns are wayyyyyyy more expensive than dogs- probably more than all 10 of my dogs put together lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really rabbits are such an expensive pet but boy are they worth it! :)

Jen

@Snowballbun: Oh good, I would hate to be on bad terms with you, you seem like a great person =]

@Patti: That doesn't seem so bad! Hmm...

@Jen: Wow you have such spoiled buns! XD I'm beginning to wonder if I'm gunna be able to afford to have more than just rabbits when I get out of my house!! XD

4 50 pound bags of Country Acres at 13.99 = $56
1 60 pound bale of Orchard Grass at 12.99 = $13
4 40 pound bags of Bedding at 5.00 = $20
1 show a month at 60.00 = $60

for a total of about $150 a month, not including the gas for the truck to get to the shows. XD That gas is usually between $50 and 150, depending on where the show is.

Plus whatever cage supplies, toys, treats, medication, feed additives I buy per month.
Note this is for... 20 holes, and approximately 40 rabbits.

I suggest you go out and purchase a 50 pound bag of feed, and see if your feedstore would give you deals on smaller amounts of hay. Last time I was there they have me 1/4 of an alfalfa bale for free, because it had broken off or something. Sweet deal! (I couldn't even use all of it, because only four rabbits I have are allowed alfalfa for weight reasons.)

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
4 50 pound bags of Country Acres at 13.99 = $56
1 60 pound bale of Orchard Grass at 12.99 = $13
4 40 pound bags of Bedding at 5.00 = $20
1 show a month at 60.00 = $60

for a total of about $150 a month, not including the gas for the truck to get to the shows. XD That gas is usually between $50 and 150, depending on where the show is.

Plus whatever cage supplies, toys, treats, medication, feed additives I buy per month.
Note this is for... 20 holes, and approximately 40 rabbits.

I suggest you go out and purchase a 50 pound bag of feed, and see if your feedstore would give you deals on smaller amounts of hay. Last time I was there they have me 1/4 of an alfalfa bale for free, because it had broken off or something. Sweet deal! (I couldn't even use all of it, because only four rabbits I have are allowed alfalfa for weight reasons.)

[align=center]The pellets I buy don't come in a 50 lb bag... =[ I'm thinking of switching pellets because one 20lb bag of the pellets I feed now equals the price of a 50lb bag of other pellets..

I don't even know where we get our hay- my mom goes out and buys it if we're running low. I think she gets it from a feed store. But it's already packaged?

Yield- How many bunnies do you have? If you prefer a smaller bag, I think Purina green bag is sold in like 25 lb. bags or something. You had said on the other post you might switch to Purina, so that might be a good option. If you go through it fast though or course, any 50 lber would work!

i have about the same weight total as you do in rabbits. one flemish, one med rabbit, one dwarf.

a 50# costs 14$ (more like 7 after my discount)--lasts about 3-4 months

bale of hay is 7$ and i get flakes for free from friends-lasts a month hit or miss

i dont do veggies, gives one bun sludge, just never started wit the rest

toys ar mostly homemade and free

equine pine whatever pellets are 14$ a month

so total about 20-25$ a month.

i grow grass for them to eat in a short tub so its safe and free, thats their forage

It's hard to estimate because I buy in bulk and then don't need to buy hay or litter for a long time.

I do spend at least $50 a month on veggies for two bunnies, so for four I can imagine spending $100. I buy about 5 heads of lettuce and 4 bunches of parsley on a good week when the heads are large - in the winter I buy more like 6-8 heads of lettuce (and they don't get any cheaper for being smaller). The veggies are by far the majority of my cost, but I feel that it's the best diet and I can afford to provide it, so I'm ok with it. It does, however, limit my desire to get more rabbits. I would rather have less and give them large amounts of veggies though.

I buy about 6 bags of wood stove pellets per year which is only $35. I get a 50lb box of Oxbow hay which is $65, but so far it's lasted 6 months. I hope to buy by the bale once I have somewhere to store it and that will be significantly cheaper. For now, the 50lb box is so convenient and the quality is so good that I'm willing to pay a bit extra. Pellets are $15 every couple months.

So in total, I guess I spend $70 per month. I don't think $100 is unreasonable for 3-4 bunnies, especially if one is very large (mine are only 4 and 5.5lbs)

At the moment, I'm spending maybe $30 on feed, & bedding every 8 to 12 weeks?

I dunno...I need to keep more accurate records.
I only have 6 rabbits right now, though, so the costs do go up when I have litters, have to buy medical supplies, or go to shows. The rabbits are pretty good about paying for themselves though (rehoming fees go right back into the rabbit fund).

I buy:
1 50lb bag of Purina Rabbit Chow - $15 (I think?)
2 50lb bales of hay; $5 each- $10 (I buy locally...soo much cheaper, and just as good quality of hay. :))
2 bags of pine pellets (maybe 25 lbs?); $5 each - $10
1 bag of shavings (maybe 50 lbs?); $13-ish

So...$48 about bimonthly.
Show fees usually range between $7 and $25+, not to add in the gas fees (which doesn't come from the rabbit fund...however when I start getting gas fees for delivering rabbits, a portion of these funds will go toward gas for shows, especially since I'm broadening my areas of shows from just WA, to more OR shows, and adding NV, CA and ID to the list. ;))

Additional things such as cages, medical supplies, veggies, etc. can run from $0 monthly to $100+. ;)

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
At the moment, I'm spending maybe $30 on feed, & bedding every 8 to 12 weeks?

I dunno...I need to keep more accurate records.
I only have 6 rabbits right now, though, so the costs do go up when I have litters, have to buy medical supplies, or go to shows. The rabbits are pretty good about paying for themselves though (rehoming fees go right back into the rabbit fund).

I buy:
1 50lb bag of Purina Rabbit Chow - $15 (I think?)
2 50lb bales of hay; $5 each- $10 (I buy locally...soo much cheaper, and just as good quality of hay. :))
2 bags of pine pellets (maybe 25 lbs?); $5 each - $10
1 bag of shavings (maybe 50 lbs?); $13-ish

So...$48 about bimonthly.
Show fees usually range between $7 and $25+, not to add in the gas fees (which doesn't come from the rabbit fund...however when I start getting gas fees for delivering rabbits, a portion of these funds will go toward gas for shows, especially since I'm broadening my areas of shows from just WA, to more OR shows, and adding NV, CA and ID to the list. ;))

Additional things such as cages, medical supplies, veggies, etc. can run from $0 monthly to $100+. ;)

Emily
And when I have my license in two months you, amanda and I should all be awesome carpool buddies and take the super efficient car I will end up driving until I deserve my Jeep back, lol.

I find ways of saving money when it comes to veggies. One being I buy bagged salad for us. I buy the biggest bag and they get the rest. I buy huge bunches of collard greens, dandelion greens, they tend to be cheap.

Wow....I'm spending a fortune on my buns!!! I'm paying $30-40 wk,,,just on hay & grassfrom the pet store. Thats why I need to buy bales or bulk. Crazy!! I'm glad I read this!!! I need to buy bigger bag ofpellets too.

I dont know but This year Im going to try and count how much I spend starting today..
I dont really know as I used to just have one rabbit and I now got two more within the last two months (oI got one just before xmas day)

I do my rabbit vegetable shopping with ,my guinea pig veggie shopping - dont got a clue about how often I buy their food or their hay, I just buy it when ever I need it. But will keep track this year..

I spend about $12 for kaytee natural pellets. I mean it's in a box with a bag inside so it must be good. I buy the small bag of hay with mint, orange flower stuff, and the plain from petco about $10 each. Yogurt treats and dried papaya are $10 all together. Then the toys depend on how much money I have on me while I am at the pet store.

So 30-40 a month in rabbit food. The money you have left over just as well be set aside for vet bills. Keep at least $400+ set aside for the vet.

Goodness; $100/month??? I buy my timothy hay by the bale ($3) and it lasts my 4 Lionheads a little over a month. Next, I buy their pellets at the feed store (cost is $14 for 60 lbs) which lasts about 3 months. As far as veggies/fruits; I grow as much as possible and in the winter I have the grocer (and friends)keep all their older produce (which is very cheap and sometimes free). On an average, my buns cost me about $20/month in the winter and $8/month in the summer. Of course, this doesn't include papaya tablets (mine won't eat it fresh, nor do they like pineapple) or black sunflower seeds when show time is near.

I'm in the process of getting 2 flemish giant babies, so my cost will definately increase.

Good luck:)

5 50lb bags of feed (month worth) $100.00
Four bales of hay (lasts about five months) $20.00
Carrots, kale, etc $20.00

Usually in a year I spend $1,000 on my rabbits. Including shows as well! Though I have big rabbits (26 give or take) so they eat more, but that's pretty much my costs!

tyebran wrote:
Goodness; $100/month??? I buy my timothy hay by the bale ($3) and it lasts my 4 Lionheads a little over a month. Next, I buy their pellets at the feed store (cost is $14 for 60 lbs) which lasts about 3 months. As far as veggies/fruits; I grow as much as possible and in the winter I have the grocer (and friends)keep all their older produce (which is very cheap and sometimes free). On an average, my buns cost me about $20/month in the winter and $8/month in the summer. Of course, this doesn't include papaya tablets (mine won't eat it fresh, nor do they like pineapple) or black sunflower seeds when show time is near.

I'm in the process of getting 2 flemish giant babies, so my cost will definately increase.

Good luck:)

What pellets do you get at the feed store?

I'm just curious because I would like to find a cheaper pellet but can't seem to find the quality around here.

I usually get mini hay bales for my bun... that adds up to
$10-15 a month

The pellets I get for him:
$12 per two months (I buy him a 5 lb. bag, I feed him much more hay and greens than pellets believe me)

Parsley and green pepper for him (its winter here, I cant grow much here for him at the moment) :
$5-7 a month

Carefresh bedding:
$14 every 2-3 months (I got the biggest one, and I dont use THAT much. Trust me.. and it goes a long way for me)

Im going to take him to the vet very soon to get him checked out and fixed so thats about another...hundred something dollars too.. haha.

2 Bunnies a Flemmy and a Holland Lop.

Hay (Bales $15 = 65lbs) $3 per month
Pellets $10-15 per month
Litter Pellets (stove pellets) $3 per month
Veggies (My Extras) $0
Toys (They like cement tubes) $2 per month
Total = $23 Plus Vet and Spoiling

The amount some of you pay is making me choke lol.

I've nearly 20 rabbits. Most are Harlequins - LARGE... Fuzzy lops, small, and 2 English Lops GIANT.

- $30.00 - 150 pounds of feed
- I've still got some of one bale of straw left, it was free because the guy who gave it to me, I drove his truck to pick up his tractor. And so he gave me a bale of straw.....otherwise 2 dollars.

- $5.00 - veggies. I feed as treats not as food.
- $5.00 - 50 pounds of saw dust. I don't use it often, just to clean the snake cage out, and now that I have a litter in the house. I bought it back in July and still have a ton left.

Well Ihave just1 rabbit, a dwarf, and he's a pretty easy keeper.

Shavings: Guardian Horse Bedding $6 (last for 1-2 months)

Feed: Mannapro pellets from Walmart $5 (lasts for about 1-3 months)

Hay: $6 average for a 28 oz bag (lasts for about 2-3 weeks maybe)

As for veggies, I primarily save those just for treats every once in awhile.

Latest posts

Back