How much did everyone here pay to spay/neuter their buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both of my shelter buns were $25, for theadoption and the spay/neuter. Timmy even came with amicrochip for that price.

Hello ...

I am in Oakley Kansas and it going to cost 30 dollars to get my hazelnut fixed. I can't imagine paying any more than that. My goodness its abunny. And he so cute and all. No way it should cost more than that.Shame people getting robbed like that.

Well take care Leann

leann wrote:
Iam in Oakley Kansas and it going to cost 30 dollars to get my hazel nutfixed. I can't imagine paying any more than that. My goodness its abunny. And he so cute and all. No way it should cost more than that.Shame people getting robbed like that.
???

So you wouldn't be willing to pay more, or you think it should beeasier? At my vet, rabbit spay/neuter costs about the same ascats ($100-120). I don't think I'm being robbed becauserabbits are more difficult than cats to spay/neuter, are more sensitiveto anesthesia, and require a specially trained vet. Actually,I think I'm getting a good deal. Many exotic-specialty vetscharge more because of the difficulty and special training.

I could get them done for $30 dollars through a low-cost spay neuterprogram, although since I can afford to pay the full cost I'd hate torob the Humane Society like that. And I'd rather pay forpre-op blood tests, more individualized care, and certified vettechs. My Humane Society can't afford certified techs, so thevet trains techs on-the-job.

Good point - but not always the case.

Before i got Sammy done on Friday last i had originally made an appt togo with my old vets for her op. They were going to charge£65-£70. They were only keeping her in for 6 hours then iwould have collected her and had to look after her myself (trying toget her to feed etc). Anyway the vets i did end up taking herto charged me £52 that included everything and they kept her in overnight to feed her and make sure she went toilet.

I think some vets make up the prices as they go along. I wastold when i took her back to the vets last night for the postop check up that it would cost £15. but when i got there theysaid i didnt have to pay - :bunnydance::bunnydance:

When my son & I adopted Tina &Turbo early June this year it cost me $110 for adoption. They werealready neutered & spayed.

Bunnies from shelters are such a good deal!Wesley was 20$, and he had just beenneutered. And he camewith a free first vet checkup too!

I can't believe it only cost me 20 dollars to get my handsome hunk.

Oswald's neuter cost around $260 including thepre-op bloodwork and some pain meds that were sent home with me justincase Oswald needed them.

Other vets in the area do it for less, but Northview is the best rabbitvet in the area, and they're so nice to both of my boys. It was totallyworth it!

-Amy

jordiwes wrote:
I can't believe it only cost me 20 dollars to get my handsome hunk.
I didn't pay anythingwhenmy Vet gave me aspayed Pebbles. :D

Normally a spay is$183.00 And a neuter is$122.00

However I bringPebblesback for annualCheck-ups, and I hadmy dog neutered last week bythe sameVet.

Rainbows! :)

Cazarty wrote:
Ihad Sammy Spayed on Friday last the total cost for her was £52 which ithought was a very good price. She was kept in over night toowas given pain medication. I picked Sammy up on the Saturdaymorning and she was very happy although calm and spent the day relaxingon her fav rug in front of tele with us.

Lucky! My rabbits both got spayed the same time at roughly£60 each. They had injections and everything to help with thepain after etc all included. Im not sure how its done butthey said she didnt need pain meds asthey already hadsomething before we picked them up

It is an expencive procedure but is best to get it done!

My boys were around 65 each for the neuters.

I think spays are about double that.. between 100 and 150 orso.A lot of vets around here dont do spays. Its weird, theysay they dont recommend it or that its too dangerous so they just domales. I feel that it they dont know enough about rabbits todo a spay, then they shouldnt be treating males...

I just paid $199(US) for Teresas spay. That wasfor meds, spay, and keeping her the night of. They kept herthe night before spay (couldnt make drop off time), and . No xtracharge for that.

naturestee wrote:
leann wrote:
I am in OakleyKansas and it going to cost 30 dollars to get my hazel nut fixed. Ican't imagine paying any more than that. My goodness its a bunny. Andhe so cute and all. No way it should cost more than that. Shame peoplegetting robbed like that.
???

So you wouldn't be willing to pay more, or you think it should beeasier? At my vet, rabbit spay/neuter costs about the same ascats ($100-120). I don't think I'm being robbed becauserabbits are more difficult than cats to spay/neuter, are more sensitiveto anesthesia, and require a specially trained vet. Actually,I think I'm getting a good deal. Many exotic-specialty vetscharge more because of the difficulty and special training.

I could get them done for $30 dollars through a low-cost spay neuterprogram, although since I can afford to pay the full cost I'd hate torob the Humane Society like that. And I'd rather pay forpre-op blood tests, more individualized care, and certified vettechs. My Humane Society can't afford certified techs, so thevet trains techs on-the-job.

Sorry you feel that way. I didn't mean to hurt your feeling.Iwouldn't pay that much no. I don't have that kind of moneyto spend on a rabbit. So I live out of the middle of no where and wedon't have a humane society like that. I just have a down home town.They know that people can't afford alot of money there. So iam sure they keep it low for that reason. I am sure that my bunnieswill get the same care as yours would, I only ment, that vet will makeyou pay that kind of money because they know you will pay it.And thats the shame part about it.

Sorry if i offened you .

Leann

wow I never thought it was that expensive tospray/neuter bunnies. I don't know were can I find vets that specializein bunnies around here so i've never neuter them. :?

I paid $150 for Charlie's neuter including painmeds and an overnight stay. The pre-op blood work was anaddition $70, which I did not do.

Misty came pre-spayed from the shelter for $20. :)

JadeIcing wrote:
I am still trying tofigure how I lived in Puerto Rico for 6 months, spent summersthereand didn't see rabbits.
hahaha, I don't know why is this so suprising for you. We don't haveany wild rabbits here so it will be harder to actually find someone whoowns rabbits but there are plenty.

My vet charges $65 to neuter a male, and $100 to spay a female.

I have two females and thought that was expensive until I saw some ofthe prices in other areas of the country/world.Wowie. I'm glad I don't live where it costs $300 or more foreach spay!

Bunman wrote:
My buns came from the shelter, which charges only $60 each to spay.

I was going to say it would probably be cheaper going to a humanesociety medical clinic. They always give discounted medicalservices and if you become a member you get even more discounts.

You could also check your localshelter. We got a discount for our cat, we went to theshelter for the coupon and took it to the vet to get thediscount. Only, for that, now she's registered w/ the cityand has to have yearlys for rabies, which I think is stupid cuz she'san indoor only cat. Oh well, but you could at least inquire.:)

I thought I posted in this thread already-oops. I paid $170 for a neuter, haven't had to do a spay as of yet. :D

Back