How long will hay last me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She can have 1/4 cup of pellets per day. You can split however you want, or give it to her all at once.

ok actually thank you so much because google was not very helpful.... I'm so glad I have this place to ask for advice I would've been doing so much wrong without everyone's help...

I would recommend buying hay directly from a farm, you’ll save tons of money. Just google your city and Hay Sales and call them up to ask if you can buy a small bale of Timothy hay, in my experience bunnies like 2nd cut. I used to spend hundreds of dollars on hay from the pet store or ordering online, luckily I found I local supplier. I have to bunnies and they go through a bale every 4 months approx and a bale is only $16 here! I have a huge storage bin from the hardware store that I keep in the bunny area that I fill with hay to store near by and the the rest fits into 2 XL garbage bags that we keep in the basement as it’s cool and dry there.

I've learned that's what a lot of people do, but where I live and stuff its hot, and the only place I could think we might be able to store it in the garage, but down here in Richmond, we have 100% humidity basically 24/7 and it is pretty much always over or about 90 degrees, would the hay go bad or anything, does hay even go bad..?

I got Theo when I was your age! In my opinion, it is the best age to get a rabbit. I'm guessing you are buying from Chewy because of the AutoShip? I suggest getting this hay if that is the case: Standlee Premium Timothy Grass Grab & Go Compressed Bale Forage Horse Feed, 50-lb bale - Chewy.com. It lasts Theo (who is a mini rex and very close weight to a holland lop) 8 months, and it is only $25! It is so much cheaper than buying small bags. Even though it is for horses, it is completely safe for rabbits.
I'm not sure if you are planning on housing her inside or outside, but I suggest litter training her. It makes clean so easy! Of course, she will need to be spayed if not yet because it will help with litter training, and prevent cancer. For indoor housing ideas check out these links:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2020-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.96731/https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/I'm also not sure what her diet will look like once you get her but here is a link that should help: Feeding.

Make sure you post a thread on the "Rabbit Registry" forum with pictures when you get her! We love pictures here!

oh and I have given her a 3rd of my room with an x-pen taken apart to fence off the par of my room, it's about 16 by 3.5ish feet, I have a rectangular room so I made it as wide as possible, it's not exactly free-roaming I guess, but I hope it'll give her enough space to be happy, I will always give her more space as needed as well though! I read on a lot of websites that they still need a spot to call their own, so I ordered a wooden cat house with a balcony to put in her area, she is spayed (i think that's the word) from her adoption place ready, so that's taken care of! I'm not 100% sure, but I think shes litter trained too! If not I'll try to litter train her. I looked at the hay and I think that will be the best thing! But, where i live, its always 100% humid pretty much 24/7 and the only place I could think we'd be able to store it is in the garage, will the hay go bad or anything? and you can always rely on the temperature out here to be at least 100 degrees, with this be a problem, sorry if that's a lot, but thank you so much for your help! you definitely pretty much just saved a bunny, to be honest...

My rabbits eat hay 24/7 and one hay bale lasts my two rabbits at least six months!

thank you for responding, but I can't think of a way we could store it where I live besides the garage, and I'm scared of how hot and humid it is, the hay will go bad and I will poison the bunny...

oh and I have given her a 3rd of my room with an x-pen taken apart to fence off the par of my room, it's about 16 by 3.5ish feet, I have a rectangular room so I made it as wide as possible, it's not exactly free-roaming I guess, but I hope it'll give her enough space to be happy, I will always give her more space as needed as well though! I read on a lot of websites that they still need a spot to call their own, so I ordered a wooden cat house with a balcony to put in her area, she is spayed (i think that's the word) from her adoption place ready, so that's taken care of! I'm not 100% sure, but I think shes litter trained too! If not I'll try to litter train her. I looked at the hay and I think that will be the best thing! But, where i live, its always 100% humid pretty much 24/7 and the only place I could think we'd be able to store it is in the garage, will the hay go bad or anything? and you can always rely on the temperature out here to be at least 100 degrees, with this be a problem, sorry if that's a lot, but thank you so much for your help! you definitely pretty much just saved a bunny, to be honest...
I think the hay will be just fine in your garage. The bag keeps it nice and cool. Aww, thanks! You are so sweet!

If it is humid where you live, the hay needs to be able to breathe. If it is kept in anything plastic, there must be sufficient air holes or it can mold. You are right to be concerned about how to store it properly. Just be sure moisture doesn't form.

If it is humid where you live, the hay needs to be able to breathe. If it is kept in anything plastic, there must be sufficient air holes or it can mold. You are right to be concerned about how to store it properly. Just be sure moisture doesn't form.

ok good to know, i will poke holls in it and stuff, but if i buy it from a farm or something without plastic, i can store it in the garage and be just fine..? Thank you so so much for your help, i was doing 90% of things wrong before this place... I mean was going to do things wrong! Cant wait to give my bunny a happy bun life!!!!

ok good to know, i will poke holls in it and stuff, but if i buy it from a farm or something without plastic, i can store it in the garage and be just fine..? Thank you so so much for your help, i was doing 90% of things wrong before this place... I mean was going to do things wrong! Cant wait to give my bunny a happy bun life!!!!

If you store it in the garage and it isn't wrapped in plastic, that should be fine. If you ever see mold, don't feed it.

You may have already seen some pages on my website, but this one is specific to what to do the day you bring your new bunny home. It's info normally not provided on other care sites. :)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-your-rabbit-home.html

If you store it in the garage and it isn't wrapped in plastic, that should be fine. If you ever see mold, don't feed it.

You may have already seen some pages on my website, but this one is specific to what to do the day you bring your new bunny home. It's info normally not provided on other care sites. :)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-your-rabbit-home.html

thank you i will look at that!! I cant wait to show everyone Bella(trix) !!!!

I've learned that's what a lot of people do, but where I live and stuff its hot, and the only place I could think we might be able to store it in the garage, but down here in Richmond, we have 100% humidity basically 24/7 and it is pretty much always over or about 90 degrees, would the hay go bad or anything, does hay even go bad..?

So you want it to be in a dry place. We have pretty high humidity too so I keep it in a closet with a small dehumidifier running in there. But honestly I just bought a 55lb bale yesterday for $12 so even if half of it goes bad you’d still save money. Just look up how to store it in high humidity and how it looks if it goes bad. I think you’d be able to tell if it went bad by smell very easily

So you want it to be in a dry place. We have pretty high humidity too so I keep it in a closet with a small dehumidifier running in there. But honestly I just bought a 55lb bale yesterday for $12 so even if half of it goes bad you’d still save money. Just look up how to store it in high humidity and how it looks if it goes bad. I think you’d be able to tell if it went bad by smell very easily

ok thank you for your help I'm researching right now!

I am nearly twelve years old and Im going to get a bun soon! I was doing some online shopping and i need to know how long hay will last, I'm getting a holland lop.. shes three years old and medium sized. i don't know how this works like at all, i bought 96 oz. Will that last me like a week..?
What brand of hay you have? Because if your in a budget I could help you find cheaper hays.

Back