How long does shedding last?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegooch69

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My Reeses has been shedding for awhile now. I'd say 2-3 weeks, if not more. I brush her reguarly to help prevent any possible hairballs. How long does shedding usually last though? I'm scared that she might develop a hairball. I'm guessing the Fiesta food I give her isn't helping either. I'm in the middle of switching her over to Oxbow though so hopefuly that'll help soon enough.

Well, my Snuffy butt has been shedding for 2 months almost:shock:. This is normal. Just make sure your bun is eating plenty of hay, this will help it to move along in the intestinal track.

Are you gradually switching over and weaning off of the other pellets? This process takes about a month to have them completely switched over to the new food. You'll notice a nicer, smoother coat too;).

If you do a search on "shedding" it will bring up a lot of useful past posts on this subject.

I read before that if you're worried about constant or prolonged shedding, feeding daily veggies along with hay can help (about 2 cups).

If your bun isn't used to daily veggies, be sure to introduce them slowly :)

My bun sheds for a whole month usually, too. It's a pain. :p

Fiesta has the "treats" in it, right? No, that's not good for her, so switching is a good thing. Good job in your "guessing":D. They are basically just fattening, with no health benefits whatsoever, so it's good you're getting her off of Fiesta. Oxbow is great. I feed mine the Oxbow Bunny Basics/T (timothy). After having them on that for a bit, I noticed how muchnicer their coats were, it was amazing;).

Thanks for the fast replies! I wish switching over to Oxbow would go faster, but it looks like it's going to take awhile before my bun eats just Oxbow. I've been giving her lots of hay and daily serving of romaine and red leaf lettuce along with baby carrotts as well. So looks like I've been doing the right thing. Thanks again everyone! :)

thegooch69 wrote:
Thanks for the fast replies! I wish switching over to Oxbow would go faster, but it looks like it's going to take awhile before my bun eats just Oxbow.
Whenever you switch over, it goes slowly so they can get used to it, so about a month is good. Three weeks is doable but a tad quick. You just gradually add more Oxbow and less of the Fiesta, and actually, if you can sift out the treats in the Fiesta, that would be ideal. When they're used to the treats, they tend to eat just the treats and not the pellets. So, if I were you I'd sift the Fiesta so it's just the pellets you're feeding and gradually lessen that and add more Oxbow.:)

Latest posts

Back