How long does it take a rabbit to have bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley Rose

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how long a rabbits gestation period is??? and how long bunnies have to stay with the mother before you should seperate them ??? :bunnydance:

A rabbit's gestation period is 28-32 days, usually is on the night of the 31st day, at least in my experience. The babies(kits) need to stay with their mother for eight weeks.

Do you know if their is any danger of putting a dwarf doe with a full sized Buck??
We just got a buck and we don't know if he is completly mature or not, he's about the same size of her right now ????

If you breed a small doe with a much larger buck, it's possible that the babies will be to large for her to deliver safely.

It's also generally not recommended to breed without a purpose such as improving the genetics of a show herd. It's harder than you realize to find homes for rabbits, especially crossbreeds, and there is a chance that pregnancy complications could kill your doe. Experienced breeders recommend that you never breed a doe that is your pet because of the possibility of problems. Please read more about breeding, and ask questions in the Rabbitry section, before you mate your rabbits.

Thank you but the rabbits are not put together purposly they just find each other.:bunnydance::elephant::bunnydance::elephant::bunnydance:

The rabbits are put together purposefully if they are allowed to be out at the same time with no barrier between them. I definitely think you should not allow that anymore.

We think the buck is a dwarf rabbit to should we be worrying about it? MyBabyBunnies wrote:
The rabbits are put together purposefully if they are allowed to be out at the same time with no barrier between them. I definitely think you should not allow that anymore.

Well, he might not be old enough to breed, so you might be in luck. I would be more careful about keeping your buns seperate. There shouldn't be ANY possiblity of them EVER getting to each other. That's how these little oopsies happen :). Are you planning on getting him neutered?

When was the last time they had contact with each other?

Well, it would be irresponsible to put them unaltered willingly. If you get them fix, no it's no problem to have them together. Being dwarf doesn't matter, it's the fact that they aren't fixed.

Haley Rose wrote:
You are a rabbit expery
Sorry, I didn't have much time earlier to give a full response.

I would not suggest breeding two rabbits of unknown breeds, unknown parentage, and unknown health ancestry. Too much can go wrong including but not limited to stuck kits, pregnancy toxemia /Ketosis, mastitis, malocclusion of the kits, genetic wry neck, loss of your doe to name just a few.

In addition to health reasons, there is NO market for mixed breed rabbits. Pet stores typically only purchase from known breeders and will only typically purchase Purebreds. They want to at least attempt to give potential buyers an approximate size when full grown... they can better do that if the rabbits they purchase are of pure breedings.

If you're interested in breeding rabbits, I would suggest becoming a member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association. They will send you a wonderful publication on how to properlyraise rabbits for the better of the breed and how to work/breed to the breed standards. You may also want to look up breeders in your area and see if they will give you some "hands on" experience with their breed and what breeding entitles.

It is NOT just about mating rabbits to have babies... it's about promoting a certain breed and striving to improve the breed itself by breeding rabbits with desired breed traits to produce a Prime breed example. It doesn't always work to your hopes and desires though...that's where the challenge in breeding comes in.

I want to emphasize... I wouldNOT suggest breeding your two pet bunnies.

~Sunshine

It's about a month gestation period for a rabbit. Rabbits are sexually active at the age of 6 months. If you're not breeding them for show or as a breeder, make sure you know people who'd like to have bunnies. They can be sold at the age of 4-5 weeks.

Latest posts

Back