How long does it take a rabbit to have bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I think most breeders here don't wean their babies until they're about 8 weeks old, and many don't sell them right away at that age. Early weaning, especially as early as 4 weeks, can make the babies more susceptible to intestinal problems and other issues. It's like taking a puppy away from it's mother at 4 weeks.

Bun~Bun, Small breeds mature faster than larger ones. My Dutch and Jersey Woolies can be mature and able to breed around 4 months old!!! Too young but none-the-less, able to breed.

It depends on the state how young a rabbit can be to sell. Here in CT, the law says 6 weeks!!! If anyone sells any animal younger than 6 weeks,that baby's health could be in jeopardy!!!

Sharon

Even at 4-5 weeks it's a bit young. They can have problems with digestion and weakened imune system if taken that early.

*Oops, didn't see second page but o/w

Whith little buns I'm not surprized if testicals drop and sexual maturity developes much earleir than larger breeds. Yet at 6 months is what the Chesterfeild County show reccomended when to breed.

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:

Bun~Bun, Small breeds mature faster than larger ones. My Dutch and Jersey Woolies can be mature and able to breed around 4 months old!!!
Sharon

Ah, okay. Recommended breeding age is not the same as the age they're first able to breed. Males that are bred to young tend to be unsuccessful, and females that are bred too young might be stunted or have more problems with the litter. Another example here is human girls *could* get pregnant as soon as they start ovulating, so for some 12 years old. That doesn't mean that a 12 year old girl's body can handle a pregnancy well though, and many birth complications tend to happen in very young girls who are pregnant.

Hope that clears it up. My girl Mocha hit puberty at about 3 months and was spayed at 4.5 with, as the vet said, a fully formed and perfect uterus and ovaries. She's one of those early girls. That's why it's recommended to separate genders at 8 weeks, minimum by 12 weeks to prevent unintended pregnancies.

Bun~Bun wrote:
Whith little buns I'm not surprized if testicals drop and sexual maturity developes much earleir than larger breeds. Yet at 6 months is what the Chesterfeild County show reccomended when to breed.

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:

Bun~Bun, Small breeds mature faster than larger ones. My Dutch and Jersey Woolies can be mature and able to breed around 4 months old!!!
Sharon

I should have said that they mature around 4 months and occasionally even younger! But, I didn't say that I breed them that young. I could breed them safely at 6 months however, I wait until they are 8-9 months old. Larger rabbits that are 9 lbs or heavier mature very slowly and they should not be bred until they are at least 8 months old.

Hope this clarifies things. :bunnydance:

Sharon

Latest posts

Back