How do you tell...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anneliese

Reaction score
How do you tell if your bunny is allergic to the dust on the hay?

Are the symptons sneezing and a runny nose?
Thanks,
--Anneliese

Yes and yes, but the symtoms are similar torespiratory infections. If your rabbit is having problemswith this, it's best to take him to a vet. Have him do aculture to decide if it is an infection and what type it is.

Yup. Eye and nose discharge, sneezing,wet/icky patches on the legs from wiping their faces... these can befrom both allergies and infections.

Is Joey having these problems? Please do him a favor and callyour vet. He's too cute to be sick. Not to mentionthat the infections, if that is what this is, can be veryserious. It's not like a human cold at all.

Well. Im not completely sure, because he only has 1 watering eye.
I looked at the hay, and there is some white stuff on it :?
How do you prevent the hay from being dusty?
Thanks!

Any dusty hay should be taken back to the store,and you should show it to them. The white stuff is dust, and if youlook closely you can see Spores from the dust. This can cause colicwhich can be a serious problem in your rabbit.

I agree, take him to the vet, even if it is just one watery eye

Some of the people here shake their hay outoutside their house. I can't do that, because I wouldn't beable to breathe or see for a week. But my hay isn't too badanyway.

I had a problem with Apollo and Athena.I took them to the vet. I ask you take Joey to the vet. So manydiseases mimic alleries that I wouldn't want to take that chance. Gethim to the vet and know for sure.

Apollo has a dust allergy. I sort his hay outside, I screen hispellets outside as well. I keep the house dusted regularly and I have atriple filtration vacuumm. He hasn't had a problem in months.

A trip to the vet is the first step.

Good Luck.

Tina

One of my bunnies sneezes sometimes but sheisn't ill (vet checked) I think maybe she has the same problem, shedoesn't sneeze all the time but she does loads more than my other bunand they live in the same hutch. I am switching to 'dust extacted'stuff, do you think that will help? The same bun had an eye infectionfrom her bedding too so i'm quite worried! She hated having those eyedrops!! It sounds like the same thing Joey has.

Latest posts

Back