how do you guys keep hay in their hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My local Co-Op will let me glean their floors for hay and alfalfa. I put some in the hutch and Kato immeadiately began to eat it, but after a couple of hours more had fallen through the bottom of the hutch floor than Kato.

So, how do guys keep hay in their hutch?

Thanks for the ideas!

Todd

I have this same problem with my rabbits, until I start to experiment.
I tried lots of different methods and some worked!

My favorite is you take a veggie ball. I stuff the hay nice and tight in there and the rabbits have so much fun throwing it around and eating the hay out of there. Hay rarely falls out and they love it!

Then you can also use hay racks! You can make them out of wood or metal or buy them.

You could also just put cardboard on the wire and set the hay on top :)

Hope this helps!

bunny toy.jpg

Rabbit hay rack.jpg

It's standard practice to use a large litterbox, and stack hay on one side, so bunny can eat and poop at the same time. Which they do. Start with a handful of hay, and twice a day chuck in a fresh handful, and when the box is full and the litter is used, tip it all out and start again. There might still be some hay finding it's way out of the litterbox, but most will stay in there.

Or, with a smaller litterbox, you can use a hay rack, positioned right above the litterbox. This helps keep his hay from being accidentally peed on too. That way, even if Kato pulls out lots of hay, the hay falls into his litterbox and just gets cleaned out with the used litter later.

In a medium litter pan, litter on one end, hay on the other. The litter end is the end that points to the back or corner of the cage.

Yup, we do the same thing --- hay goes right in the litter box. Though we use a long side for the hay since they other long side is used to pee!

litter set up.jpg

The hay balls are fine for a fun-time diversion, but it is usually too difficult for bunny to get the hay out for it to be the main source of hay. They can be used in addition to other, easier ways like a hay rack or hay in the box.

my litter tray is more like a pan and it is built into the hutch to slide in and out.

I got one of the hay-holding-balls. It's perfect, for him to play with and then Mr. Kato probably won't pee in that corner.

so one corner has water, one corner has bunny pellets, and one corner has the hay-holding-ball.

I think Mr. Kato is set :)

I use a hay rack, some gets through on the outside of the cage, but most of it gets in the rabbits. It's also right above the litter boxes

Back