How do I get my buns to like being carried?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sappyditz

Reaction score
I bought a pair of 8 week old bunnies three days ago, and so far they seem to e happy and are adjusting well to their new environment. My mum and I picked them up for the first time today, but they seemed so scared. One of then even flicked its hind legs at me when I put it down, which I believe is a classic sign of insult in rabbit speak, right? I do this sitting down so that they're not too far from the ground and won't feel as threatened, too. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thank you!:)

Bribery gets you everywhere with bunnies ;)

Here's what I'd do: Lure them onto your lap with treats frequently, maybe a tiny piece of tomato or a mini sprig of parsley, whatever your bun likes. Even just pellets might do the trick. When they've gotten comfortable sitting on you munching away, get someone to hold a treat just above its nose as you carefully scoop it up into your arms. You have to be gentle but confident about this, bunnies can sense if you're nervous/unsure and will hop away out of fear that you'll drop them. Give the treat to your bun once it's in your arms.

Keep up the flow of treats, but be sure to hold it securely so it feels safe. Don't squeeze though - just make sure its chest, bum and feet are steadily supported, so it feels to them like they're just on slightly higher ground, not dangling dangerously in midair or grasped by a predator. If your bun is sitting contently in your arms and not trembling, you're doing good.

Eventually you can slow down the delivery of treats, so they begin to learn that if they wait in your arms for 10-15 seconds, they'll get a little yumyum soon. Once they associate being carried with getting treats, they'll hopefully be less offended by it. :)

Good advice given, I just wanted to add some things.

Once you bond with your buns and they get more used to you they may let you pick them up. My Ash is really snugley and he loves pets but he doesn't like being piced up. He will tolerate it for a while but after a few seconds he usually starts kicking a little bit. Also when picking your bunny up its best to not feel very scared or angry as bunnies can sense how you feel. Another thing , how did you pick them up? There are certain ways to hold your rabbit and some ways make your rabbit feel insecure. Usually when pick up my Ash I slide my right hand under his belly and put my left hand under his bum and then I lift him. Its a bit hard to explain so here is a video on how to do it: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdt0XKNlfRY[/ame] And yes, when they flick they're feet it means they are angry.

Hope this helps! And good luck with your bunnies! :)

Also keep in mind you've only had them three days. All the other suggestions are great but it can take even a month for yours bunnies yo really come around and get used to something that in the wild is a threatening gesture.

Consistency is the real key. Keep working with them and handling them a lot, not a little. Not all bunnies like being picked up, but all will tolerate it if it's done right. You do have to get them used to being handled as it will make cleaning and nail clipping much easier if you have a bunny that knows not to struggle. Bribery is also very important. We have two that were shy and tried to stay away from us. I started hand feeding them a little cilantro, and now they are major pests and always hoping for a treat. I can pick them up with no trouble and they enjoy head and neck rubs--bribery does work wonders.

Thank you all for your input! They seem a little more comfortable now, but I think I'll try Norbert just like some of you suggested to completely convince them :)

Latest posts

Back