Housing - Free Roam

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidtravel

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have read many posts where people are suggesting letting rabbits have free roam. I have seen many posts with pics showing very cute habitats that have beds, are carpeted, and VERY CLEAN lol... How in the world is this possible? I mean really. Currently, I have an X-Large Dog wired kennel, along with an 8 foot extension that my rabbit can run in. I also do leave it open to the rest of the room when I am with him, which lately has been all the time. I try and do a thorough cleaning once a week. But, my rabbit, Franklin, messes it all up 5 minutes after I finish. He has 2 large liter boxes (he is a 6 month old neutered Flemish rabbit) and lots of hay toys and a tunnel. After I clean everything up and change out his liter boxes, he jumps in said liter boxes and throws it all around. I recently got him neutered and so he is dropping less outside of the liter boxes but still does lay his dropping a lot inside his habitat and when he does come out, outside his habitat as well.

So, how does everyone keep their rabbit's habitats so clean. Are the photos photoshopped, taken right after you clean them up? I wanted to move Franklin's habitat to a carpeted room, he doesn't seem to like sliding around on the wood floors, but can't because he would throw his liter box bedding and lay his droppings all over the carpet.

Any suggestions?

thanks all

Hello all,

I have read many posts where people are suggesting letting rabbits have free roam. I have seen many posts with pics showing very cute habitats that have beds, are carpeted, and VERY CLEAN lol... How in the world is this possible? I mean really. Currently, I have an X-Large Dog wired kennel, along with an 8 foot extension that my rabbit can run in. I also do leave it open to the rest of the room when I am with him, which lately has been all the time. I try and do a thorough cleaning once a week. But, my rabbit, Franklin, messes it all up 5 minutes after I finish. He has 2 large liter boxes (he is a 6 month old neutered Flemish rabbit) and lots of hay toys and a tunnel. After I clean everything up and change out his liter boxes, he jumps in said liter boxes and throws it all around. I recently got him neutered and so he is dropping less outside of the liter boxes but still does lay his dropping a lot inside his habitat and when he does come out, outside his habitat as well.

So, how does everyone keep their rabbit's habitats so clean. Are the photos photoshopped, taken right after you clean them up? I wanted to move Franklin's habitat to a carpeted room, he doesn't seem to like sliding around on the wood floors, but can't because he would throw his liter box bedding and lay his droppings all over the carpet.

Any suggestions?

thanks all

im a total newbie at this stuff but when i get my bunny, i planned for this to happen as my room is carpeted. i ordered some foam mats blankets to cover them so its easy to clean and non toxic if he does eat it, ect. so thats what i did, but it might be completely wrong i dont have a bunny yet...

I imagine most people would take photos right after they are cleaned. :) But a free-roam rabbit shouldn't be making much of a mess outside of his cage area.

If I recall, it has not been 2 months past his neuter yet, right? If so, remember that his hormones are still in flux. His potty habits should get more consistent as time goes on.

If he likes to dig at his litter box (which may subside with his hormones) then you can try a box like this instead (hay rack not required):
1588385719340.png

As for his poos, it's pretty normal for them to be scattered about in his enclosure. If you move him to a new (carpeted) area, he will likely lay down more poos to mark the area. That is normal too but will subside also. Once he's used to the area he won't feel the need to mark. So expect it to be worse at first.

Don't sweat the scattered poos, though. They are dry and odorless and are easy enough to sweep up. ;)

I imagine most people would take photos right after they are cleaned. :) But a free-roam rabbit shouldn't be making much of a mess outside of his cage area.

If I recall, it has not been 2 months past his neuter yet, right? If so, remember that his hormones are still in flux. His potty habits should get more consistent as time goes on.

If he likes to dig at his litter box (which may subside with his hormones) then you can try a box like this instead (hay rack not required):
View attachment 47252

As for his poos, it's pretty normal for them to be scattered about in his enclosure. If you move him to a new (carpeted) area, he will likely lay down more poos to mark the area. That is normal too but will subside also. Once he's used to the area he won't feel the need to mark. So expect it to be worse at first.

Don't sweat the scattered poos, though. They are dry and odorless and are easy enough to sweep up. ;)

Actually, it has only been 2 weeks since he was neutered. it is not that big a deal. I am more concerned, as I posted in a different thread, Behavior Change, he never wants to leave his cage right now. That makes me sad...

Trixie is litter trained and will pee and poop in her box 98% of the time...the other 2% she has purposely pooped on my bed to mark her territory and peed there too when she was upset that I did not clean her box in time (diva I tell you haha). I personally clean up her area every 2-3 days, vacuum included so it’s generally clean. The only time when it gets super messy is when she’s eating hay cubes because those things make such a mess.

Back