Horrible pee smell!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtothis

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone had tips for smelly rabbit pee? It smells really really bad and I clean his litter box everyday. I'd like to clean eat every 2 days but I feel like the smell suffocates him. Is this normal? What should I do?

I got him about a month and a half ago. they knew nothing about him, only that he might be 8 months or a year old. I'm using Carefresh Natural Paper Bedding, I don't know about anything else since this is all new to me. please help

I never had a problem with my males pee smelling, but my female had a urinary tract infection and the smell was SO strong, so I'd keep an eye out for that. Is his bottom clean? I knew there was something wrong when her privates started to be constantly soaked with pee.

Do you know anywhere that I can buy those ? & no, his bottom is pretty clean.

Horse stall pellets or wood stove pellets? Phone around and ask.... Hardware stores, tractor supply stores, general stores, lots of places. I cant give you specific stores because I have no idea where you live as you have not included a location with your profile.

You should get him neutered.

Baron is not neutered, 8 months old and he uses peat for his litter. Keeps the odor down very nice. Also he doesn't pee outside his box. Seems to be very well adjusted.

You can buy a whole lot of peat for $10 at most garden shops, make sure they didn't add chemicals to it.

I use aspen shavings in his litter box and they work pretty well. I noticed when the hay started mixing with the shavings that it cut down the smell and more than doubled the time between litter box changing. I clean it every 3 days, and there is not much of a smell. I think it is the chlorophyll in the hay that does it. Unrelated, my sister switched her pet mice to hay for bedding and she said it is pretty much magical for getting rid of the ammonia smell. Since he is an unneutered male, Id check to see if he is spraying or urinating outside of his litter box. There's a good chance that is where the smell is coming from, rather than the litter box itself.

My 2 buns aren't neutered*in the process of trying * and you couldn't tell there was bunnies in there! I use aspen shavings and change it out every 3-4 days and tommorow is when I wash the fleeces and spray the litter boxes down.

I'm cleaning his litter box now and it's killing me lol. It's not the cage itself because he doesn't pee outside of the litter box which is great considering the fact that I started using the litter box a week and a half ago. I'm not familiar with aspen shavings, does anyone know where I can get it? and how much it is? thanks everyone for your help

You can buy aspen shavings pretty much anywhere, it is sold as small animal bedding. :) I get mine at farm and fleet. They have it at Walmart and of course at pet stores. Just make sure it is aspen and not pine or cedar. Also it is very inexpensive. Especially when you buy it at Farm and Fleet, or Walmart. Pet stores are a little more expensive for things.

It depend son where you live :) I live in texas and in the pet aisle. I used to buy expensive litter *soft wood *and I was hesitant to try it but when I bought it it was a miracle and it lasted about 3-4 weeks. Its like $4-$7! And no wonder it smells! Carefresh is really bad when it somes to litter and is also expensive! Also when cleaning the litter box buy distilled white vinegar and mix it 50/50 with water. It helps with stain and odor control! Also being a first time bunny owner can be quite overwhelming but just take it all in. I'm a first time bunny owner to 2 buns it was overwhelming at first . But then you get used to it :) Hope I helped XOXO Chester and Blue

Thank you everyone! I just checked online to see what stores near me had aspen shavings and they all do! also, I'm loving these prices :) way cheaper than the Carefresh in was using, and hopefully works better. They seem to have different brands, is one better than the other ? I live in New York by the way & you guys have great tips. I'm just trying to do the best for my bunny :)

There are really not brands better than others the ones I bought were great something band the colors were red and blue just buy bigger shavings the bigger the better! They didn't have the ones I bought before these are very small :(

I prefer the smaller shavings :) I bought a bag without looking at it last time and when I got it home, it was more like shredded than shavings. I was kinda disappointed. But I used it anyway, and it is more absorbent!

I'll probably go buy some this weekend, I'll see what they have and keep you guys updated :)Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it

Horse stall pellets or wood stove pellets? Phone around and ask.... Hardware stores, tractor supply stores, general stores, lots of places. I cant give you specific stores because I have no idea where you live as you have not included a location with your profile.

You should get him neutered.
I love using wood pellets but I think it doesn’t control the smell as well as yesterday’s news. There could be other reasons like different food etc but I’m not a fan of pine smell either. But don’t get me wrong I love the wood pellets!

Latest posts

Back