Hopping Through The Forest With Bunny Foo Foo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Foo has been a bad bun for the last few days! She keeps pulling her blanket into her litter box. I don't know whats going on with her, but she just lost a blanket for the night. I put some hay in for her to munch and sleep on, so she'll be fine. She's so silly. I think she's mad at me because I didn't let her out last night.

Anyways, here is a picture of me. Please excuse how awful I look, it was a long day at an outdoor birthday party and then my in-laws.:p I spilled chinese food on my shirt, thats why I only have a tank top on. hahaha. Its just be a long day!
meandfoo_zpsa016253b.jpg

Aww great picture! Now I can put a face with your name :)

Foo's ears are hysterical. Funny bunny.

Yes Agnes spay definetly helped with stray poops, she hardly ever pooped outside her box after the spay. Except now she's mark dropping becuz of Archie....

I know what you mean about being born in the wrong time period. I'm very old fashioned about some things too. I love handling all the "girl chores" as I call them, in the house and my hubby does the boy ones ;) I do all the cleaning and laundry and cooking, I LOVE staying home and just caring for the house and my son. I know it's not for everyone but I adore it, I could be content being a homemaker for the rest of my life.

I feel like I've neglected Foo for the last few days and by the looks shes been giving me, she feels like I have been too!
Its been a stressful weekend, a birthday party and wake on Saturday and on Sunday a funeral that took most of the day.
On top of trying to figure out what to do with the chickens this winter and trying to figure out how to keep them the warmest. And of course my regular duties of the house. We're trying to get our wood stove ready for this winter and that has been a process in itself. hahaha.

Sometimes I really feel like I need to get her a friend, but I'm so nervous about it! I try to be everything she needs, her friend, her care provider, but I'm not enough and I don't always have enough time. But who does!
I know shes mad at me, I haven't been able to really let her out for free time in the last 2 days. She won't even come up to the front of the cage when I come into the kitchen! She just sits in the corner of the cage with one ear up looking at me like "yeah mom, I'm still here! Its been 42 hours since you let me out last! I'm mad."

I don't know if I should find her a friend or not. Ughhh, any suggestions?

whitelop wrote:
I feel like I've neglected Foo for the last few days and by the looks shes been giving me, she feels like I have been too!
Its been a stressful weekend, a birthday party and wake on Saturday and on Sunday a funeral that took most of the day.
On top of trying to figure out what to do with the chickens this winter and trying to figure out how to keep them the warmest. And of course my regular duties of the house. We're trying to get our wood stove ready for this winter and that has been a process in itself. hahaha.

Sometimes I really feel like I need to get her a friend, but I'm so nervous about it! I try to be everything she needs, her friend, her care provider, but I'm not enough and I don't always have enough time. But who does!
I know shes mad at me, I haven't been able to really let her out for free time in the last 2 days. She won't even come up to the front of the cage when I come into the kitchen! She just sits in the corner of the cage with one ear up looking at me like "yeah mom, I'm still here! Its been 42 hours since you let me out last! I'm mad."

I don't know if I should find her a friend or not. Ughhh, any suggestions?

that is how it started for me!!! haha, Those same thoughts...and look where I am, bonding as we speak :)

I know what you mean. I felt pulled in a million directions sometimes and would feel uber guilty if I couldn't spend enough time with Agnes. And boy do they let you know you are lacking, huh? Agnes did the same thing. Just sulked a bit. And then I dont' know if it was my imagination but she just seemed a bit lackluster lately. I wondered if she just wanted a rabbit friend to chat with while I was gone. haha

So I found myself searching shelter rescues. Reading up on bonding. I wuold suggest you do the same. Even visit a few buns too. See if you can arrange a bunny date (after she's spayed of course) just start the initial steps.

I was SO nervous too. Like I mean sometimes at night I would wake up stressed about deciding to get another bun. WTH? Who does that?! Me evidently.....

But now that I'm doing it...omg its SO fun. Like, its stressful still and I'm no where near the end. If I have to take Archie back I'm not sure how I'm gonna handle that because I'm seriously falling in love with the lil guy, but anyway, Ive really enjoyed it. I like watching their personalities, I like seeing the unique differences. I like watching the bonding process and blogging about it and seeing where it takes us.

I think if you are willing to do the research and put in the time, its a positive thing. Of course there could be fighting and it might not work, but you'll never know unless you try.

Thanks Lisa!
I know its a huge decision to make. I made the decision to get another bunny when I found out about Scruffles. That didn't work and I was devastated by that. And I was going into that completely blind on how that was going to go, but I just felt it was going to work.
I think I'm going to start looking at rescues in my area and see if I can find a bun I'm interested in. I've looked since Scruffles, but I haven't seen any buns that I really feel a connection to. Sure, they're ALL adorable and its sad they don't have homes, but none of them tug at my heartstrings like Scruffles. ahaha That sounds nuts.
I need to also look into bunny dating, to see if the shelter near me or a rescue near me will allow dating. After she gets spayed of course. I'm going to make the appointment soon for her.

I'm also nervous that Foo will be unbondable. Shes been alone with me for her whole life. So that would suck, but I would be prepared for having two cages and separate buns for their whole lives. I could handle that I think.

Ughhh. I'm just going to take my time looking. :)

I think I may have found a bun that I would like for Foo to go on a date with. I can't post the picture because its being stupid, but here is the link http://www.petharbor.com/pet.asp?uaid=CHRL.A1038457
I'm pretty sure that he's a mini lop, it said that he's a tri color, but the picture isn't a good quality. I've looked at this rabbit before, they changed the picture. I looked at him before I saw Scruffles, I thought about this rabbit while I was trying to get Scruffles, so maybe hes the rabbit that I'm supposed to have.
I'm going to call the shelter tomorrow and see if they allow bunny speed dates. He's neutered, but she isn't spayed. That kind of sucks, but I can't have her spayed and ready to go see him by the weekend. Does her not being spayed really matter that much?

I think it just depends on the personalities of the rabbits, and also how long ago he got neutered. I had a neutered male and unspayed female bonded (she's spayed now)and they got along fine but that's mostly because of his laid back and tolerant personality. She would pester him because of her hormones, but he either put up with it or hopped away somewhere where she wouldn't bug him.

Awww he is super cute!! I see the tri color in the picture. I think there is some brown on his head. How adorable :)

As far as dating before shes spayed....well, not sure. Because if it doesn't go good it MAY be because of her hormones so you may not be able to tell......

Here is my opinion on dating. After going through this myself, I think dating is good for one thing only. To find out if they are going to outright want to KILL each other. If they don't, then no matter what happens at the date I still think it will take the same amount of work to get them to bond. Unless of course it was love at first sight which unfortunately is so rare.....

So anyway, moral of the story I think most any buns can be bonded. Not all. I know there are the ones out there that will fight to the death, but if they aren't that type (to fight to the death) then I think it could work. Whether they scuffle a little, ignore each other, hump, whatever, it will just take time to get that bond to happen.

That being said I don't want to give you too much false hope because there are bonds that just won't work. There have been a couple stories on RO recently about that. And its stressful too. So it just depends on when it gets to be too much for bunnies and owner too.

Find out when he was neutered. If he was just neutered he could still get your girl pregnant. And then in the meantime I would make an appt. to get your girl spayed too.

Let us know what you decide to do!!!

Hes been at the shelter since August, so I'm willing to bet, they neutered him when he got there. So its been a few months. He's also 2 years old, so he may have been neutered by his original owner. I don't know what his backstory is. He is just a bun that I saw and I felt a little connection to. I think I'm going to wait to do dating for Foo until after she's spayed and healed. I just talked to my husband again last night about getting her spayed and he said to go for it. (I have to talk to him repeatedly because he never remembers anything I say! Typical man.) So hopefully that will be happening soon.

But getting her spayed brings me to all kinds of new worries! Shes older and I know sometimes it doesn't go well with older buns. She'll be 4 in March, so I would like to get her spayed before she turns 4. The good thing is, the vet that I'm taking her to, to get spayed is very rabbit savvy. He's a rabbit show judge and travels all over judging shows, he owns rabbits and sees them on a regular basis. So I feel comfortable in that, but I'm still worried.

My mind is constantly racing with rabbit worries!

I'm about to start making pumpkin pie for my husbands birthday, but I only have one egg. I'm waiting on my hen to lay another egg so I can make 1 pie! hahaha.
Now I'm going to butter her up with some wild bird seed, to promote that egg laying!

Oh that's good if he's been there since august. You are right he's probably neutered and hormones are gone.

As far as bunny foo foes spay, don't worry. Easier said than done, I know, because I was nervous too but it all went SO good. Her age is fine. I was told that the risks don't go up until age 5 so she's got plenty of time there. It sounds like you have a great rabbit vet which in my opinion makes all the difference. My vet specializes in rabbits and when I compare Agnes's spay story to other ones I've heard I think hers was so smooth because of our vet. And wait til she's spayed I bet you will be glad! Her litterbox skills could improve, her pee will smell better and chances are she will live longer. It's the best decision :)

I know what you mean about worrying, I never stop either:p

whitelop wrote:
I'm about to start making pumpkin pie for my husbands birthday, but I only have one egg. I'm waiting on my hen to lay another egg so I can make 1 pie! hahaha.
Now I'm going to butter her up with some wild bird seed, to promote that egg laying!

Ah! That's so cute! My life is so different. I'd go to the store and buy some, you butter up your hen so she lays one. I love it!

Thanks Lisa, for putting my mind at ease a little. I'll always be a worrier, I worry constantly about everything. Especially my animals.

Still no egg yet. hahah. I'm going to have to get my hub to stop at the store on the way home to get some, so I can make the other pie and some muffins. I think I need more hens!

Well tonight has just been a hell night.
What started it was, I had to listen to what FIL had to say, second hand through my husband. That succeeded in p*ssing me off. Hes just a crazy wack-a-doodle who should be committed.

Then, the real icing on the cake. Bunny Foo Foo has something wrong with her. Her butt is really stained and matted. I can't usually brush her, she just will not allow it. I try to pluck the fur from her butt and dampen my hands to get the fur out, but it doesn't work. So, I've noticed for the last 2 weeks I guess, that her butt is really stained and crunchy. I finally got around to giving her a butt bath tonight and as I had her flipped over and clipping her nails, I realized how bad it was.
She doesn't have urine scald or anything, but the fur is SO matted and horrible. I'm crying right now, thinking about it. So I tried to trim some of the fur away, but I was so scared of hurting her. I got a little bit, then stopped. I just can't believe that I didn't notice it and I can't believe that I didn't give her a bath before this, when I first saw how dirty she looked.
So, as I'm holding her on her back in the crook of my arm I see something out of the corner of my eye, its a HUGE freaking spider! It came out of no where, so I'm cussing to myself about this stupid gigantic spider. Of course there were no shoes near me, so I had to tip toe around this **** spider to find a book. I killed it!
Foo sat on the couch with me for a while after I clipped her nails and some of her fur. I feel so bad, because I know I really stressed her out tonight. After the third time I flipped her over (which she does not usually tolerate) she just gave up. She quit fighting me holding her like that and it broke my heart.
I put her back in the kitchen and she seemed okay. I was cleaning out her cage and this HUGE grasshopper comes from some corner and scares the hell out of Foo. Poor thing, she skidded across the kitchen so fast. I didn't think she would be scared like that of a grasshopper, but she was terrified of it. Thats just a perk of living in the country, critters. Everywhere.
I cleaned out her cage and had to put something over the litter so she wouldn't be putting her butt in it.
I couldn't find that lighting grate stuff that people use, I looked last week. So the only thing I have is a cookie cooling rack. hahah. I put it on top of the litter box with pipe cleaners! I couldn't find the zip ties, they have mysteriously disappeared.

Anyways, I have to make an appointment at the vet for Foo, first thing in the morning, so I can see whats going on with her butt. I really hope its nothing bad, because I don't know what I would do. I'm really nervous about it. I've never taken her to this vet before. She's only been one time and the vet wasn't super rabbit savvy and it made me uncomfortable. He was really nice, but that was just for allergies. This is something big. But the vet that I'll be taking her to, he is really experienced with rabbits.

So everyone just send good thoughts Foo's way and lets just hope she doesn't have good cleaning habits.

Wow, that was really long. ahhh, I don't think I'll sleep tonight because I'm so worried about her.
I'll keep y'all posted about the vet. If I can't get in tomorrow, I'll try for Friday.

Oh goodness what a night for you. Topped off with giant grasshoppers and spiders! Yikes!

Think of it this way, her fur issue is an outside the body problem and barring any other issues she should be fine.

Let us know how it goes!

No vet trip today, because my husband woke up with his a$s on his shoulders this morning.
I'm not happy with him at all. I would like to call him a lot of things right now, but I'll keep those to myself.

Hopefully, I'll be able to take her tomorrow. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that my husband doesn't wake up tomorrow with his panties in a bunch.

I accidently left Foo out of her cage last night! hahaha. When I went to check on her last night to put her to bed, she was already in her cage. I guess I forgot to shut the door. My husband got up this morning and said, "oh, hey rabbit! You're out early" Too bad, she wasn't out early, she was out STILL. She did fine and the kitchen is totally rabbit proofed, so theres nothing that can hurt her.

I just thought it was funny.

About her bum issues. My husband is being really difficult about taking her to the vet, he thinks I'm just jumping the gun on taking her. She isn't spayed, so her litter box habits aren't perfect, she will still pee in the corner of her cage. I've already made it so her butt doesn't touch the litter when its wet and her butt did look a little better yesterday. She doesn't have any bedding, so when she pees in her cage and I don't catch it in time, she will walk through it. I'm going to attach her litter box to the side of her cage so she can't move it around anymore and she'll only pee in the box. The corner that she pees in is the only corner and its usually where the litter box is, but she moves it around everywhere.
So maybe, she is just getting in the pee and thats whats going on. I still think I need to take her to the groomer and get her fur trimmed down a little so its not matted looking anymore.
If it doesn't get any better with attaching her litter box so it won't move, then I'll take her to the vet and my husband will be more open to it. Ughh its just irritating.

Your husband is fine with her getting spayed right? So why doesn't he want a vet visit with this?

But anyway, you might be able to take care of it on your own if he still is so upset about taking her to the vet. I don't know how bad it is, but maybe try baby wipes? Also, if careful, you can try and cut off as much fur as possible from her bum?

No matter if you decide to get another bun or not, spaying her probably is the best idea anyway. It will most likely help with her litterbox skills AND if this fur thing seems unresolvable from your end, maybe you could have the vet shave her/cut out mats while she is under anesthesia??

I don't work, so I don't have any money of my own.
Trust me, I'm irritated and I feel really broken right now about all of it. I don't understand why he doesn't want me to take her to the vet. It doesn't make any sense. He DOES want to get her spayed because he wants her potty habits to improve and he wants her to live a long happy life, but I guess he doesn't want me to take her if its something that I can fix at home. He's being very difficult right now and I just want to scream at him. (I know its contradictory for him to want to get her spayed and not want to take her to the vet right now)

I'm going to get him to hold her tonight so I can trim the fur as much as I can. Its so scary to do though! I tried and got some of it the other night but I had to stop because I was doing it by myself and I was terrified!

I think that if I try to remedy it at home first for a few days and if it doesn't work, then he'll be more willing to let me take her to the vet. I'm super stressed out about it, I've barely slept in 2 nights.

Day 4 of no bum touching wet litter in litter box.
Foo's butt appears to be the cleanest I've seen it in 2 weeks. It is still stained, but the staining isn't nearly as dark as it was just a few days ago. Her fur doesn't look as matted and crunchy as it was. I have been trying to brush out that area of fur, to help with the matting. She seems to be doing a good job of cleaning and getting the fur back to white.
So after she cleans it doesn't negate the cleaning by sitting on wet litter. (I use wood pellets)
I'm still going to attach her litter box to the side of her cage so she can't move it around, but it seems that her butt touching the litter was the major problem.

I'm going to keep an eye on her butt still, to see if any more problems arise, but I think I may have solved it by putting something over the litter.

It makes me feel so much better to see her butt the cleanest its been in a while! It puts my mind to ease a little bit, but I have to give it more time before my mind is completely settled.

Latest posts

Back