Hopping Through The Forest With Bunny Foo Foo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Morgan and my rabbit is Bunny Foo Foo. We just call her Bun.
I am a 22 year old stay at home mom of an almost 16 month old son named Anderson.
We live in a small, 90+ year old farm house on 5 acres of land, where we have our small 'farm'. (When I say "we" I say that lightly, because its mostly just "me" with the animals)
I have two chickens, they're Blue Jersey Giants, although neither one of them are blue. The rooster is a splash, so he's mostly white with a few really nice blue feathers, and the hen is a blue/black. She looks black, but when she gets in the sun you can see the blue sheen to her. We will be adding more chickens to the flock soon, so I can start selling the eggs.
I have four cats. Three are inside, but go out during the day. They are: Smedley, a rescue from a parking lot. Shes 12 and the mother of Cali, who is 11.
Then, Smokey, she was a sort of rescue. We lived in an apartment when we were teenagers and the little old cat lady died unexpectedly, so we agreed to take her two cats because her niece didn't know what to do with them. Smokey was only about one when we got her, she was the smartest cat and so sweet. She fit right in. When we moved she came with us and we wouldn't have it any other way. The other cat that I took, was 17 years old and it total kidney failure. So, I caught her one day and took her to my vet and had her put to sleep. Its an unfortunate thing to have to do with a cat you've only met once, but I did the right thing.
Last but not least in the cats is Bronco, our outside tom cat. He and his sister were dropped off at my house when they were about four weeks old. I found them and fed them. It took them a while to come to us but they stayed around. I had the sister (Sasha) spayed and she stayed here for about six months after that, then disappeared. Bronco is still here and he just got neutered two weeks ago. He is the sweetest tom cat I've ever met and a born mouser, so he's great to have around.
We also have a dingo dog. His name is Woody and hes constantly under foot. But he is great with my son, he lets my son pull his fur and tail and lets any kid hang on him and pet him. Hes also very protective of my chickens, and had chased away several raccoon's.

Soon, hopefully we will be adding a few alpacas to our farm, to make it a real farm! I'm in the process of trying to find the right place to get them. I want them for only wool, no showing or breeding. So I've looked at some rescues and I think I found one that I like in PA. Unfortunately we live in SC. But, my husbands family lives in Pittsburgh, so when we go up there in March, we might be able to pick up the alpacas while we're there. As long as they accept my application and we get our barn renovation finished in time. I know it seems like a crazy thing to want, but they're amazing. I always joked with my husband and told him if we get anymore farm type animals, I want it to be alpacas or ostriches. Then last weekend we were in Charleston, SC at the slave market and we found this teddy bear who was super fluffy. I picked him up and could not believe how soft the fur was. It was like petting air it was so soft. I looked at the tag and saw 'alpaca' and made my hub feel it. He didn't know what it was, thought maybe rabbit. But then I told him alpaca and I saw the spark in his eye! We've been talking about it since Sunday and I've almost got him convinced to let me get them! Everyone keep your fingers crossed with me for the alpacas!

Wow, that was a lot about me! hahahaha.
I'll share some stuff about Bunny Foo Foo now. She is a 3 year old white mini lop. She has two small reddish spots on her back and her ears have reddish fur. She isn't show quality or anything like that. But she's my sweet girl and I love her dearly. She is very smart. I finally got around to litter training her,(I don't know why I didn't do it sooner) It took her about a week to get a hang of the litter box (different litters and all) and now she is so good at it! She likes the kiln fired pine pellets, its like the equivalent of feline pine, just with a smaller price tag and its for horse stalls. ($8 for a 40# bag) I scoop it out every day and she uses it like an old pro! She doesn't have a NIC cage yet, but once we get our house painted I'm going to build her one. She has one of those gigantic pet store cages that is a little small, but she only stays in there at night. She spends her days roaming my kitchen, rearranging. Stalking my cats and dog, and starring at my son though the baby gate. She probably wonders why he's always screaming at her. He wants to get to her so bad, but I haven't introduced them yet and I'm waiting until he's a little older. She never runs from him though. She loves my cats, especially Smedley, who is the best mama cat EVER. She cleans the bun and cleans Cali(her daughter) and cleans my son. The bun also loves the dog. The dog will sleep in the kitchen and the bun will flop down next to him and relax for a bit. Its a really funny sight. I can never get a picture though because she always gets up to greet me when I come into the kitchen.

I think thats enough for today, since this is super long.
Thanks for reading!

Hi Morgan, welcome to RO. Wow you have a nice place. My dream has always to live on a farm. Lucky you.

I can certainly tell you LOVE all your Fur kids alot. :)They sound lovely too.

Love Bunny Foo Foo's name,she looks adorable. We must see many more pictures of her. :eek:) Cheers

Susan:weee::bunny19

My dad tells me I have a petting zoo.
And when I get my alpacas I really will have one! hahaha.
I think I found a good farm near by to get the alpacas from, I'm so excited!

Last night for dinner I made a roast with carrots and rice. It was pretty good, but not my best.
But, I made this bread. OMG! This bread was to die for. Its beer bread. It was the first time I've ever made it, I just needed a bread to go with dinner.
It was the easiest bread to make! It has a crunchy buttery crust all around the outside, and its soft and lovely on the inside. Its a pretty hardy bread, not to be mad into a sandwich. But, it would be perfect with any dinner. Its going to be a staple for dinner from now on!
If anyone wants the recipe, I'll post it.

I also walked into my kitchen last night to find my bunny covered in her blanket in her cage. It was soo funny.
This is what I saw:
bunfooblankey_zps70f72a48.jpg

Please excuse her dirty newspapers in the corner. Her water bottle has a little leak and she was playing with the paper and left it once it got wet. All clean now though!

At one time we had 4 tarantulas, a garter snake,2 mice, 2 iguanas, 2 alligator lizards, 2 cats, 3 dogs, and 4 bunnies and a koi pond with 7 fish and 8 aquariums. Felt like our own pet store. Most of our animals were rescues as I new too many people and seemed to be at the top of their sucker list.

Larry, I tend to be at the top of everyone's sucker list too.
There was a time when we had 4 dogs, 5 cats, 3 chickens and my bun. Two of the dogs were rescues/fosters and have since found their new forever homes, and one that was actually our dog passed away. One of my cats has disappeared, which is sad but we live in the country and sometimes it happens. One of the chickens passed away. We still have the bunny, of course.
Not to mention that I have found several dogs on the side of the road and brought them home, to find them homes later.

Bunny Foo Foo has been very cage aggressive for the last 2 days. She attacked my hand and my mini broom/dust pan has I swept out her cage last night. My mini broom took the brunt of the attack. The last time she was like this, she bit my thumb nail when I was trying to feed her and put a hole in the middle of my nail.
I just tried to feed her half a grape and she lounged at me. I guess she's having some hormonal issues right now. :/ She is usually very docile and has only ever bitten me that one time. I can usually feed her the smallest thing from my hand and she'll eat it with no problem. Even when she's in the cage.
She is also making a lot of cecal poops and leaving them everywhere while she's out running around. I made a thread about it because I was a little concerned. I did order a sample of Sherwood Forest food to see how she liked it and if it was worth ordering regularly. Maybe that will help with the cecals and I'm going to start measuring out her pellets. I haven't been measuring them.
So hopefully she'll be less cage aggressive soon. I'm going to make arrangements to have her spayed soon, maybe that will help.

Oh yes. I open her cage at 6am and leave it open until around midnight when i go to bed. Sometimes she comes out and is out all day long then other times she only comes out in the evenings. She has the choice to be out al the time though.

Peter and Commander Bun-Bun used to show hutch aggression which I mostly ignored till they bit and drew blood. I grabbed them up and flipped them on their back, while discussing that I was sad that they acted in that fashion and would appreciate less biting. Two times was all it took as rabbits are very fast learners--treating them in the manner that an alpha rabbit would is also a key part to getting them to behave. They were both neutered, so it wasn't hormone behavior, just normal rabbit/territorial behavior. If you've established yourself as the Alpha, they will defer to you in most cases.

I'm a little slow at getting to read people's bunny blogs. It's hard enough to keep up with the regular posts.

I absolutely love old homes. How nice that you have a 90yr old house on a mini-farm to boot!

My very first rabbit was also named Foo Foo. I was in my early/mid twenties when I got him too.

I love old houses! My house is TINY and old and it leans like crazy. hahaha. None of my floors are even, but it makes for a good game of rolling the ball by yourself for my son! He likes it. But in spite of all thats wrong with this house, we love it! We try to fix things little by little, as to not shock the house. (because yes, it has a mind of its own.)
But, I love this house!

As some of you may know, I'm trying to get a bunderground railroad up and running to get a rabbit from Arizona. Blue Eyes is the one who found the rabbit and has been a huge help with talking to the Petco people. Megz (CosmosMomma) has stepped in with a gusto and is trying to help us form the railroad. Along with Patti (slavetoabunny), who has set up the last leg of the railroad.

I know that some of you probably think that there are rabbits everywhere that could be adopted. My animal control/shelter doesn't have any rabbits right now that I'm aware of and the rescues have a better chance of adopting them out. I haven't ever encountered a rabbit at a Petco. I've seen them at pet stores and it makes me sick, because I know that I can't take 20 rabbits home. I just pray that they find a good home that will love and take care of them. But this rabbit in Arizona. He's a larger breed 5 year old rabbit that someone dropped off because their kids were bored with him. At first when I read it, I thought "oh just another sad story for a poor rabbit" Then I looked at my Bun who hopped in front of the gate into my view and I knew that no one would want to adopt an older large rabbit. (We think its either a french lop or a french lop mix, so a bigger rabbit, but not a giant breed) My bun is 3 years old, she'll be 4 in spring and I know that if god forbid she had to go somewhere like that no one would want to adopt her. She is adorable sure, but shes big and older. Not old at all. But not a baby, which is what people want. Only the babies.
They only want puppies and kittens too, how many older dogs get adopted out? Not that many.

Anyways, so as I sat there for a minute looking at my buns adorable old face, I knew that I had to do something for this rabbit in AZ.
I haven't even seen a picture of him yet, I'm just going on Suzette's word that he's adorable and fluffy. But even if he wasn't, I wouldn't care. He could have one ear and 3 legs and I wouldn't care at all.

My whole point of this is to explain why I want the rabbit, and hope that it helps get up stops/legs for the bunderground railroad from AZ to at least TN.
So can anyone who hasn't already volunteered, please volunteer to help us? There is another thread, its called Bunderground RR coming through. It has the map and the list of legs. But if anyone is off the beaten trail and not on the city list of legs, you can still help to.
I feel bad because I'm pleading with you guys now, but I feel like this rabbit should be at my house with me, and bonding with my Bun Foo.
Help if you can, if you can't...wish us all luck!
Thanks for reading!

I just got my sample of Sherwood Forest food! I'm so excited to try it. I just mixed some in with Foo's regular pellets. She ate some of it, but I don't know if it was the Sherwood or regular.
I was actually surprised that the Sherwood got here today, I ordered it Thursday. Thats some pretty good service! Hopefully she'll like it and I can order some more.

She's still being cage aggressive today and about took my hand off when I went to feed her. Forget about taking her litter box out to scoop, I'll have to do that when she gets out of her cage.

What? Does my dewlap make me look fat?

bunfoodewlap_zps5af77ea7.jpg

Sorry for the shotty picture quality and all the poop on the floor. hahah. The poop bomb went off!

So far tonight, I've been chinned to near death, I've been hopped over 748 times, and I've been nose bonked. She's peed on the blanket I'm sitting on and knocked my drink over into my lap. I've been sitting in the kitchen floor with Foo for 4 hours and we've had a good time. She goes between my back and the kitchen cabinets, then jumps over my legs and back around. I've been her personal play toy tonight. She can't really binky because of the hardwood floors, but she'll 500 like crazy and skid into something.

The only thing is, I think she may be in LOVE with me. hahaha. God, I gotta get her fixed!

But, its been a good night; spent with my Bun Bun Foo.

Morgan, I finally got around to reading your entire blog! I think I have here and there before but never all of it.

I knew you had a mini farm but I had no idea that many animals! How fun. I'm sure with your son and animals you have barely any time to yourself.

Do you have plans to get bunny foo foo spayed? I bet that sure would help with cage aggression.

She sounds like quite the character! I'll be watching for more bunny foo foo updates. And oh, if you feel like it I'd love to see a picture of you!!! :)

I do plan on getting her spayed, at first it was just finding the vet to do it. My vet doesn't usually spay buns, but I ran into him at the store a week or two ago and he said he would spay her for me. I guess, it helps when you've been going to the same vet for 20 years. hahaha. So, now I just have to make the appointment.
I feel like getting her spayed will definitely help with the cage aggression and help with her potty habits. She still poops up a storm on the floor, but pees only in the box.
She is a character, she's so funny. She does crazy things, but she makes me laugh.

It is very hard to get time for myself in. haha. I'm usually okay with no 'me' time, but I need at least a break a month to get out of the house and do something without child and animals.
But its alright, I love my little farm and my son!
Besides, I think I was made for this life. For apron wearing, cooking, doing yard work, tending the kids and animals. I think I was born in the wrong time period. lol.

Latest posts

Back