Hopping Through The Forest With Bunny Foo Foo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's so great that she's friendly right from the start, and it's too cute that she peeks out at you from her cage. I bet you're just loving this :) Enjoy it, cause Jennifer's right, they just sprout up overnight. They grow so fast at this age.

I know, it's hard to believe such little babies can eat soooo much! My little guy drinks a ton too! Like twice as much as my adult hotot, and he's half the size! Just one thing on the alfalfa hay. Sometimes it can cause soft poops if they get to much too fast before they've adjusted to it. With her being such a little bun, you may just want to start out with a pinch of it, a couple times a day, to make sure her digestion adjusts to it ok. Haha, I bet Foo loved the alfalfa. My Pip goes crazy for it and anxiously awaits the little pinch of it that I give her each day.

Lol, Foo's probably wondering what the heck is going on and where this little 'rodent' came from. She probably has been thinking that she must be a person, and now seeing the baby has woken up her true bunny self. She has something to be alert and interested in now. Maybe having a little active baby will help her be more active too and have more fun.

Yeah, I know, I have rabbits coming out my ears :) I have the rabbits that most normal people wouldn't want - two grumpy girls that are both biters, and two with possible longterm health problems. Plus, that's what happens when you get a rabbit and she's pregnant with 5 babies. Pip is tiny too! Just 2 1/2 lbs, and she had 5 babies! I couldn't believe it. So now is the search for good homes, which is incredibly hard, because I am very picky where my sweet babies end up. I've found one really good home for one baby. Yay!! The people had a house rabbit for 10 years before this, and my baby will be a house rabbit too, so I'm happy.

Well, good luck with the spay tomorrow. Foo will be back home with you before you know it, and back to her old self in no time, minus the hormones :) When my two girls got spayed on the same day, afterwards was the only time they were ever able to be together and snuggle. Normally Dakota would attack Baby if she could, but she was too wiped out from the anesthesia, so she just sat there not moving much that first night, and Baby was able to snuggle with her, which Baby loved. That'll never happen again if Dakota has anything to do with it :( And of course I didn't get a picture, my phone died :pssd:

I didn't give her much alfalfa, she still has a whole litter box filled with timothy hay. I just gave her a smallish handful of the alfalfa, Jennifer did say she gave her girls too much at once and Gaz had soft poops. Its amazing what you think about when you're doing things with the rabbits, like who pops into your head. haha.

Foo has been a little crazy. hahah. Its so weird for me to see her obsessed with something other than me. lol Tonight, I gave her her salad outside of her cage on a big plate between her cage and Elvira's. I heard something so I ran in and they were fine. Then I went and sat in the floor to get Foo to come to me, she wouldn't! She sat next to Elvira's cage staring at her for a solid five minutes and would not come to me! She would look back at me and then look back at the baby. I was shocked. Normally she is all over me but not now! I guess I'm old news. :(

I sort of know what its like to have a grumpy bun. Usually Foo isn't that bad unless you reach your hand in her cage. Well, she isn't always like that, just like every other month. Now, hopefully never again! Its difficult to have a grumpy bun, but I only know a little bit about it. I assume you didn't know Pip was pregnant when you got her? Is she purebred hotot? And are her babies? I don't know what I would do if I got a bun that was pregnant! I would lose my mind. I would be so nervous having to find the babies homes, I wouldn't know what to do. I would also be really picky about it. I hope you find really great homes for all of them. Oh and I love hearing about your buns, since I didn't realize you had so many! Feel free to high jack my blog any time to tell me about your bunnies!

I am still SO nervous about Foo and her spay. I gave her a really big salad tonight and she got a few extra bites of banana. The silly rabbit didn't get out of her cage the whole day, even though the door was open. She only spent a few hours actually out of the cage and most of that time was stalking the baby! lol I told her she needed to run around as much as possible, because it was the last time she was getting out for 7-10 days, she foot flicked me and ran off! Brat!
I really really hope she does well. Every time I think about it I start to cry because I'm so freaking nervous. I just really love her and she is my heart bunny and I just don't know what I would do if something happened. I'll probably be a nervous wreck tomorrow, so maybe you guys could send us some good wishes and nose bonks.
I'm going to try to get some sleep now!
:dutch

OMG! I forgot to share my awful experience at petsmart today!
I had to go there to get alfalfa and baby pellets. My feed store unfortunately doesn't sell baby bunny friendly hay and pellets. I went to one in North Carolina, not the one in a neighboring town.(I should have gone to that one) Anyway, I got some kaytee alfalfa, it looked the same as the oxbow but it was over a dollar cheaper. Its just the 3lb bag of hay.
I was looking at the pellets and they're all timothy based pellets and most of them were filled with the 'extra' crap pieces. I was hoping to find some oxbow baby pellets, but I only found the oxbow adult bunny basics. They only had 1 kind each for rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets and chinchillas, the other petsmart has several different rabbit oxbow types. I was in a terrible mood when I was there so I wasn't completely focused. This girl walked by and asked if I needed help, so I asked if they had any alfalfa based baby pellets. She said she would go check. She comes back with 2 other associates, they're looking at all the foods that say ADULT on them and they're like 'oh this one has alfalfa in it' and its FILLED with nuts and berriers and weird things. I told them all I didn't want the stuff with crap in it. They continue to pick up bags of food that were filled with crap. Finally after one of them said 'oh well the third ingredient of this one is alfalfa, is that okay?' I SNAPPED! I said a little too loudly "no! That's not okay! I told all of you several times I don't want the food thats filled with that crap! See all these seeds in here? Rabbits aren't supposed to eat that. See all that cat food looking stuff, they aren't supposed to have that either. See all that dried fruit, its not good for them!"<that part I yelled.) I told them that the only reason they market that stuff is for the owners because people think rabbits want colored pieces of crap in their food because its fun for them to eat. And a rabbit eating all that crap in the food is like us eating a dozen nut covered doughnuts. Then one girl says to me with a total attitude "well, it says its for rabbits!" I told them all that they needed to look up what a rabbits diet was really supposed to be like, and come back and look at that crap and tell me thats what they're supposed to eat! They all just looked at me with their mouths open. Then as I was walking away, I yelled at them "thats what google is for! Learn how to do your jobs!" That part I felt bad about. But come on! How many times do I have to say that I don't want Fiesta Mix Max for my underaged weaned too early rabbit? Jeez, I was really mad.

Gahhhh...sometimes people are so stupid. They worked there, all their name tags said 'small animal' on them or whatever it says to let you know they work in that area. Maybe that store is special with the special name tags. It should say on the name tag, "don't ask me about rabbit food, because I have no idea about a rabbits diet!" I really think that the stores should train the workers to know at least a little bit about the animals they're selling goods for.

Yeah, see if I ever go back to petsmart again. I'll grow my own freaking alfalfa before I go back in there! Hopefully this bag that I bought last her a while so I won't really have to worry about it. Thankfully she's only eating a tiny amount!

Morgan, don´t you worry, your little Foo will be as right as rain but my three send bunny hugs, nose rubs and lots of kisses for Foo. They´ve had a look at her photo and think she´s really hot and will be thinking about her today.

Your little Elvira sounds perfectly normal. Bandy ate constantly at that age and look at him now. Mind you, he´s eat constantly now if you let him. Foo sounds like she´s coming round. Can´t wait till you get them together. Foo will be getting much more exercise as they should play and chase each other. I love watching mine race after each other round the living room. Sometimes makes my head spin. And she´ll have someone to cuddle up to and to groom and be groomed. That´s one of the things you´ve missed so far which I love watching. It´s fascinating watching two rabbits or three groom each other, I love seeing Bandy shove his head under Houdini´s head as it´s his way of telling him he´s like his ears cleaning.

Let us know how everything goes today, good thing is you can give Foo her treats right up until she gets to the vets and you should take something with you for her so she can have something when she comes round.

I just love hearing about Foo! She just seems like quite a character, and you describe her reactions to things so well. It's almost like I'm there watching it :)

Pip being pregnant was a surprise and it's been fun raising the babies. They are full dwarf hotot, which is a good thing because I have a better chance of finding good homes for them since they are purebred, but it usually just takes a little longer.
Oh and I love hearing about your buns, since I didn't realize you had so many! Feel free to high jack my blog any time to tell me about your bunnies!
Is this a subtle hint to start my own blog? :) Sorry, I guess I did get a bit chatty. Just don't ask me about my rabbits again or I might start rambling on about them :humour:
Ok, I'm sorry but I'm just cracking up right now. I missed your post about petsmart, and just read it. That's crazy, it's like they had a brain cloud and didn't hear the first time that you weren't interested in that crappy food. Pretty typical though. They're just there to help sell the products. They don't really know anything about the animal itself. Lol, next year I can just see you growing alfalfa and all of Foo and Elvira's yummy veggies. You're going to have this great garden just for your rabbits :)... Do you have a walmart with a small animal section? Mine sells a plain alfalfa based rabbit pellet without corn in it, which is basically what you need for your baby. Also if your feed store has manna pro, that's supposedly a good alfalfa pellet, but I don't know if it comes in something smaller then 50 lb. Your feed store really doesn't have alfalfa hay?

Sending good thoughts your way for you and Foo!

Last edited:
Sending hugs and kisses from Hippogryff and Phoenix for Foo today!

Make her a care pack for when you bring her in and bring her fur blanket and shell be fine. Do what I did, call a bunch of times. It's stressful and it is nerve wracking but it's not as horrible of a recovery period as what I've read. Foo is a healthy (and feisty) bun shell pull through fine :headflick:

Elvira is a beautiful name and it looks like it suits her well. I still am just trying to grasp that you got a new bun! It's nice because foos hormones will calm down by the time Elviras star coming in and hopefully before then you can get some early bonding time in :)

Do post pictures often!!

Your petsmart story rings true even here in Canada. Sometimes you will get lucky and meet an employee who really knows their stuff but most of the time they don't know anything. The store I work at only sells supplies and they still make us do modules and certification in nutrition.
Sorry pet stores like that anger me.

Wow new bun still can't get over it! Has your husband warmed up to her yet?

Is this a subtle hint to start my own blog? :) Sorry, I guess I did get a bit chatty. Just don't ask me about my rabbits again or I might start rambling on about them :humour:

hahaha. You made me laugh out loud with this! No! I was being serious! I would love to hear all about your buns. You hear all about mine! So really, if you want to chat about them and not have to start your own blog, bring it here! I was being totally serious!

And no, the feed store I go to is pretty small and they don't have alfalfa hay, they only have coastal because thats what she feeds her horses. They live right next to the feed store and their horses eat that hay. The animal supply store I go to, to get dog food and such doesn't have alfalfa either. They only sell the 6lb mini bales of timothy. But come to think of it, I could probably get him to order the alfalfa for me, we know them personally. I might run up there today to see if he can do that for me! It would probably be cheaper to get a mini bale or something like that, then the bags of kaytee/oxbow.

I did look at walmart yesterday at the hay and stuff, but I didn't actually look at the foods. They had kaytee forti-diet and then the living world or small world food, whatever its called. I may look and see what they have. I was just grabbing a new water bottle and I got Foo some timothy cubes to play with.
Would Elvira be okay eating timothy pellets and eating alfalfa and timothy hay? If not, I'll definitely find some alfalfa pellets. I may order them from Sherwood Forest and get the sample bag, since I'm going to work her into pellets so slowly, that 2lb bag should last a long time! lol

Foo has been a little crazy. hahah. Its so weird for me to see her obsessed with something other than me. lol Tonight, I gave her her salad outside of her cage on a big plate between her cage and Elvira's. I heard something so I ran in and they were fine. Then I went and sat in the floor to get Foo to come to me, she wouldn't! She sat next to Elvira's cage staring at her for a solid five minutes and would not come to me! She would look back at me and then look back at the baby. I was shocked. Normally she is all over me but not now! I guess I'm old news. :(

lol, reminds me of the time I caught Nala watching "hammy TV"... probably still trying to figure out what the strange thing is that's in her kitchen :p

OMG! I forgot to share my awful experience at petsmart today!
Gahhhh...sometimes people are so stupid. They worked there, all their name tags said 'small animal' on them or whatever it says to let you know they work in that area. Maybe that store is special with the special name tags. It should say on the name tag, "don't ask me about rabbit food, because I have no idea about a rabbits diet!" I really think that the stores should train the workers to know at least a little bit about the animals they're selling goods for.

if you're stuck with the little bags of alfalfa, they're cheaper at walmart anyway ;). you might also check Petco's website regularly, as their sale changes periodically - I once got alfalfa for $3.00 a bag. as someone who spent way too much money on little bags of alfalfa, though, I really do recommend tracking down a bale - she'll eat most of it by the time she needs to be weaned off of it.

as for the scene you made at Petsmart... was the manager in the group of employees you yelled at? I really hope so. they NEED to hear how ****ty some of their products are for rabbits and how under-qualified their employees are. if I worked at a pet store, I'd take the time to research the various animals I was in charge of selling stuff for even if they didn't tell me to, just because I wouldn't want to recommend bad stuff.

give Foo a hug for me and tell her I said good luck with her spay today! I'm sure when I wake up, you'll have good news for us :)

[edit: so... I can get words like crap, ****, hell and bitchy past the filter, but not "sh*tty" or "pissed"? WTF, lol.]

Last edited:
Chris, thank you for your kind words and nose bonks from the boys!

Michelle, I'M still trying to grasp that I got another bunny! hahah. I'll be honest, I got her on such an impulse, by the time I got home and calmed down a tiny bit I was like "omg, what am I going to do?!" haha. Its still really strange to me. Its going to be really weird letting them out separately for play time, since Foo is always out of her cage. At least she'll be recovering from her spay and will have to stay in for a week or more. lol Maybe the baby will get some out of the cage time. I need to get her a play pen or something, she's so tiny I might lose her in my kitchen! haha
Most of the people at the pet stores are really stupid when it comes to diet and cages and things like that. Its really awesome to hear that the store you work in requires you to be knowledgeable about animals and their needs! Its pretty refreshing actually. Too bad I'm not in Canada to only shop in the pet store you work in! lol

FOO UPDATE:
I dropped her off at 8am. I've never been to this vet before, but everyone was SO nice! I was the doctor's only spay today, so when I walked in the receptionist asked if I was dropping off Bunny Foo Foo! haha. The vet tech that took all my information was very rabbit savvy. She made sure I had all of Foo's hay and made sure to tell me that there was a fridge for them to put Foo's cilantro in. She was like, "you have to keep that gut moving! So lots of food for the bun!" it was funny.
I packed her half a bunch of cilantro, a leaf of romaine and a sprig of rosemary. Her three favorite things, outside of bananas. Then I packed her all her different kinds of hay, in a 1 gallon freezer bag. The hay was filled all the way up! I wanted to make sure she had enough food because I don't know when they'll do the actual spay! haha. I also packed her fur blanket and her little bowl.

I put her in the carrier and she immediately started eating hay! She's such a little piggy. So I put some cilantro in there for her so she wouldn't be scared and she ate all of it in like 2 minutes! I also gave her a too big bite of carrot. lol She ate hay in the car on the way there and hopefully she will eat while she is at the vets office.
I think she'll be okay, everyone there was SO nice and they all seemed so knowledgeable about bunnies, so I felt pretty good when I left. I did have a little knot in my throat though. :(

OHH. And I've already realized how strange it is without her here. My son eats a banana every morning for breakfast, so as I cut the banana on his plate, Foo gets one end and I get the other. But she wasn't here this morning to get the end. :( I had to eat both of them, since Elvira can't have banana's yet. Its weird.
But I'm going to get Foo's cage cleaned out and vacuumed, clean her litter box and hay box. That way when she comes home she'll have a nice clean cage to rest in.
I'm going to to have to go to the store though and get her some more cilantro, she ate the two bunches in a little under two days. haha. I gave her a big salad last night and then a small one this morning. I can't wait to see how much she weighs.

(as I'm tying this, I'm watching my son figure out how to put something in his fleece jacket pocket. lmao he's so funny! he got something in there.)

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and nose bonks! Foo and I greatly appreciate it! I'll keep everyone posted on her progress and how she's doing. I'm excited to get her home though. :dutch

as for the scene you made at Petsmart... was the manager in the group of employees you yelled at? I really hope so. they NEED to hear how ****ty some of their products are for rabbits and how under-qualified their employees are. if I worked at a pet store, I'd take the time to research the various animals I was in charge of selling stuff for even if they didn't tell me to, just because I wouldn't want to recommend bad stuff.

give Foo a hug for me and tell her I said good luck with her spay today! I'm sure when I wake up, you'll have good news for us :)

[edit: so... I can get words like crap, ****, hell and bitchy past the filter, but not "sh*tty" or "pissed"? WTF, lol.]

The filter is baffling to me too! lmao. I laughed really hard at that! Sometimes it will let me put a$shole, but I have to go back and change it because I think better of using the bad words sometimes! But then sometimes the filter gets extra thick and lets nothing through. I don't think bitchy is a word, I used it in an earlier post and you've used it before but technically I don't think its a real recognized word, lol.
Sometimes I wish I had a filter in real life. What happened to the cute little words it put instead of the cuss words? Those were hilarious!

I don't think a manager was in the group. lmao they all looked younger than I am, and I'm 23. There was one kind of nerdy guy who was the only one listening and then two girls who were the ones looking at the food not listening to me. The one was a super _______(fill in your own bad word there!) and she was the one who started with the crappy food and then said they were all for rabbits. Surprisingly enough, I didn't cuss at any of them. I said crap instead, because there were children present looking at hamsters. The mom was listening to me though and watching, she was a little impressed with it I think, because they had small animals. There were grabbing little wooden toys and some hay and a little tiny igloo house for their hammies. They didn't buy a hammy, they already had them. I heard the kids talking about them before the workers came over to "help" me. lol
So I used my personal filter with that one! I'm surprised with myself.

Anyway, I won't be going back to petsmart and if I do have to go there for whatever reason, I'll go to the other one. They don't sell alfalfa bags at my walmart. Its a stupid walmart that doesn't have all the stuff that bigger ones have I guess.
I'll just grow my own **** alfalfa and that will be the end of it! lol I will try to find a bale or so before summer. Then I probably won't need to grow it, I can just grow another grass hay. lmao

Now I'm really rambling. I got very little sleep and have not had a cup of coffee yet. :headflick:

Okay so I'm so sick I barely have enough energy to log on and type this but I wanted to say good luck with Foos spay. I didn't read any of your recent posts and I'm also curious about how the baby is doing but I feel so yucky that reading eve hurts,,,,UHg..,

Back to bed I go but wanted to wish Foo luck and hopefully I'll be back in a day or two.

OHH. And I've already realized how strange it is without her here. My son eats a banana every morning for breakfast, so as I cut the banana on his plate, Foo gets one end and I get the other. But she wasn't here this morning to get the end. :( I had to eat both of them, since Elvira can't have banana's yet. Its weird.
But I'm going to get Foo's cage cleaned out and vacuumed, clean her litter box and hay box. That way when she comes home she'll have a nice clean cage to rest in.

yeah, it was REALLY weird to me when I had a bunny-free house for a day when the girls got spayed! I spent much of the day deep-cleaning their pen and condo.

The filter is baffling to me too! lmao. I laughed really hard at that! Sometimes it will let me put a$shole, but I have to go back and change it because I think better of using the bad words sometimes! But then sometimes the filter gets extra thick and lets nothing through. I don't think bitchy is a word, I used it in an earlier post and you've used it before but technically I don't think its a real recognized word, lol.

bitchy may not be a word, but bitch is and it must not filter that if it doesn't filter bitchy since it filters the "ty" version of sh*t. maybe it thinks it's ok because it can also mean a female dog? who knows. I just think it's weird that crap is ok but sh*t isn't... and it still baffles me that "pissed" is naughty enough to warrant filtering. I was allowed to say "pissed" as a little kid, but got in trouble for saying "dammit".

[edit: *blink* WTF... now I can say pissed? I'm more confused than ever!]

Foo will be just fine today :) She will be very sleepy when she gets home (all rabbits are different as we know, Olivia was very sleepy when she came home). Her appetite wasn't her normal hearty appetite, but she did still eat. So just make sure she is eating something. I didnt pick her up the first few days because I was scared to hurt her. She did pop her incision open so we had to go back to the vet. So, keep an eye on the incision. Other than that, you and Foo will be just fine.

I know my Walmart carries alfalfa pellets. I know you hate walmart hahaha, but you should check there.

And if Elvira goes missing, it wasn't me ;)

Okay so I'm so sick I barely have enough energy to log on and type this but I wanted to say good luck with Foos spay. I didn't read any of your recent posts and I'm also curious about how the baby is doing but I feel so yucky that reading eve hurts,,,,UHg..,

Back to bed I go but wanted to wish Foo luck and hopefully I'll be back in a day or two.

awww :( feel better soon!

I'm not sure about how Foo will be after her spay but the vet told me to keep Phoenix confined for atleast a week and then limited space out time for the next few weeks since their skin is so sensitive and thin. Sounds like you took her to a good vet though! She'll be home before no time!

Foo went into cardiac arrest coming out of anesthesia, she did not make it. I'm devastated and i don't know what to do with myself. I can't believe it.

Oh Morgan, I'm so sorry. I'm just so sorry. My hearts just breaking for you. I wish there was something more that I could do for you then just sit here reading this.

Morgan, I can´t believe I´m reading this, I was so sure she´d be fine. You must be absolutely devastated. I don´t know what to say as there just aren´t any words to express what I´m feeling, tears pouring down my face. I´d only known her through your blog but felt as though I knew her. My thoughts go out to you and to your family, your little is going to need you as he won´t understand exactly what´s happened. You´ve now got Elvira to look after and it´s not the same as sweet, dear Bunny Foo Foo but she will fill a gap that your precious little girl has left.

An enormous hug and we´re all here for whatever you need.

:heartbeat:

I am in complete and utter disbelief and shock....I am so terribly sorry. My deepest condolences to you. :(

holy crap! I couldn't believe the news when I read it, I had to read it like three times. this feels like a horrible dream... I keep wishing I could wake up from it! I can't believe Foo is gone, it was just supposed to be a routine surgery! :tears2:

I don't even know what to say. I feel so awful for you, and for Foo! I feel bad that I was one of the people encouraging you to get her spayed before you decided for sure, and then one of the folks assuring you that it would work out just fine. I'm in tears right now because I know how beloved Foo was to you and how devastated you are... I wouldn't have known what to do with myself if one of my girls hadn't made it.

in retrospect, it's interesting the timing with which Elvira came into your life... it'll never be the same as Foo, but it's a cute little bunny face to hug when you need one the most. sort of like the universe just knew you were going to need each other.

did they say if there was some sort of underlying medical problem that caused it? it's very unusual for a healthy bunny to react that way to anesthesia...

god, I'm SO sorry! I wish I could give you a big hug, I'm sure you could use one right now :tears2:

Latest posts

Back