Hope has hurt her mouth; RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been responding to this thread much because I'm not comfortable with self-medicating in cases like this, although being a weekend, the Vet visit is more problematic, andit's not a dire emergency -- at this point.

But if a rabbit has an injury serious enough to cause pain for more than a day or so, you really have to confirm the underlying cause, and not just mask the pain.

She may have a cracked tooth, a broken bone, a budding infection --- all sorts of things.

I hope she bounces back with no ill effects, but it's looking like it might be something that needs further review.

sas :?

I second what Pipp said. Especially since mouth injuries can easily get infected. Well I think... Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to get this checked out. Especially if it has caused enough pain to stop her from eating.

yep, and they do tend to have this stuff happen on Fridays here. So, I either wait out the weekend if it's not a dire emergency or go in at the risk of a not-needed appointment to see the vet.

I usually end up at the vet.

If she's got a broken jaw or molar and she gets osteomyelitis, that isn't good at all. It carries a poor prognosis. Really....I'd get her into the vet very soon. Broken bones or molars in a rabbit aren't something you mess around with.

ellissian wrote:
Maybe I shouldn't own rabbits after all :(

Now don't you dare think that. You are a great bunny mom and you're trying to do best by Hope. You can't possibly know everything there is to know about injuries or illnesses in bunnies, that doesn't make you a bad bunny owner.

I'm with Pipp on this one, self medicating for this length of time isn't the answer, you need to establish the cause. Hope is clearly in a lot of pain and you have done all you can for now so take the advice given here and get her to the vets. She might need an x-ray or a thorough examination of her mouth and a vet is better equipped to do this. Good luck and keep us posted.

Good news!!!!......My babies all better! :biggrin2:

Yesterday she was still a bit off her food but started to eat pellets towards the night time. Today she is back to eating everything....including pinching some toast crusts off me earlier. I'm so happy she is ok, she gave me quite a scare for a while.

There has been some good things that have come out of her getting hurt though. Hope and I have bonded so much more, I love her heaps and heaps. :) She is so much more affectionate now and I tell her I love her countless times a day...where as before she was lucky if I told her once. She has constant floor time too and gets on well with my dog and cats...just like Milly did. Hope will never be Milly and I doubt I will ever love her as much as him but I do love her lots and lots. :)

Thats great news!

Be sure she's not just adjusting to the pain - check her mouth and keep an eye on her for a few days more at least.

Ya know....... I'd feel so much better if we could see some pictures of her to confirm ..... :camera:big wink:

Oh, I am so sorry I missed this thread. Wish I had known what you were going through this weekend.

Glad to hear that Hope is feeling better...and even "gladder" to hear that you are loving her even more.

Don't think you are a bad bunny-mom. You can't help that Hope is a hyperactive bun. Sometimes Emmaline does insane things and I worry that she will get hurt. But I can't stop her from being energetic and curious. All I can do (and all you can do) is make the environment as safe as possible for our "wild girls."

So...where are those pics? (hint-hint)

-Mary Ellen

Erm I did take pics of her yesterday but being a hyperactive bun as you say....the majority of them are blurry! lol :biggrin2:

I will try and take more of her today. :)

Finally the pics of my baby Dopey Doo. :) I can't believe how close we have become because of what happened, I really do love her soooo much and she loves me too.:biggrin2:

HPIM0780.jpg

HPIM0768.jpg

HPIM0765.jpg

HPIM0747.jpg

HPIM0738.jpg

HPIM0728.jpg

Sorry I got a bit carried away!!! lol :biggrin2:

Hmm....just a bitnortheast ofLeeds...think I canfind that beautiful girl. But since she's an indoorrabbit, bunnynapping will be abit trickier than I'd first imagined...

I know...I'll sneak in from the east coast. They'll never suspect me that way!

*chants: Here I come, Hope! Here I come, Hope...*

Latest posts

Back