Hope has hurt her mouth; RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellissian

Reaction score
About half an hour ago my son was trying to get Hope out of her cage, he said she ran and smacked her face off her cage.

She was bleeding quite a bit for a couple of minutes...at first I thought it was her nose but after I've cleaned her up and the blood flow slowed down I noticed its her mouth she has hurt. She appears to of stopped bleeding now...I've checked her teeth and they seem fine...I cannot find exactly what she has hurt, although one side of her mouth is very slightly swollen.

She is acting ok in herself, she hasnt ate or drank anything as yet.....her temp hasnt lowered and she is still acting her fiesty self but a little quieter than normal.

I've tried temping her with veggies but she doesnt want to eat at the moment. I have some metacam in left over from Milly.....should I give her this dose or will it be out of date?

A w w w w w ... poor bunny. :(

You can't tell if it's her lip, toothor tongue or what, huh. Best to pinpoint the bleed if you can.

If she continues not to eat and drink, I'd consider the Metacam,although it's a catch 22 -- it needs to be taken with food and a lot of water.

It's good for at least six months I think. Doesn't need refrigeration. (Is it the flavored kind?)

Butif it's a serious enough injury to keep her from eating, I'd also make a vet appointment.

Hope Hope is okay! :pet:

sas :purplepansy:

Thanks for replying Sas :)

The bleeding is definately stoppednow as far as I can tell, it doesnt seem to by her teeth....maybe its her mouth but Im more inclined to think it could be her tongue as its the only place she wont let me check.

It looks like she is attempting to eat but can't...I've sent out for some baby food...hopefully he can find some pumpkin flavour, as I'm going to start syringe feeding her just to be on the safe side.

She is a little bit quieter than normal but is still fiesty so fingers crossed....I will hold off with the metacam for now, I will see how she goes for the time being.

With regards to the metacam I'm not sure if it's the falvoured kind or not....I've only got 0.05mls and I'm not sure if this will be enough for her....she weighs 3.5lbs now.

She has just took 15mls of baby pumpkin food but only 2mls water.....oh she is eating the pumpkin food I put on a plate for her right now too! :)

She keeps sniffing at her pellets and hay but doesnt eat any so I assume she wants to eat them but is in pain. :( I also gave her one of her favourite crisp bread treats and she didnt eat that.....Im going to try raisins next. She is really active again.....no teeth grinding which is good but no tooth purrs either.

What do you think about the metacam...give it now or hold off for a bit?

Thanks

Right I've been out and bought her some childrens 100mg Ibuprofen. She weighs aroung 3.5lbs so does 0.5ml sound about right....I would hate to give her too much!:nerves1

Thanks Nadia :) I gave her that dose at around 3.30pm, it also says as required but I'm guessing around 3 - 4 times a day like you would give a child. It this right?

Yup, but I would only give it to her if she really is showing signs of pain and not just continue the dosing. If she starts eating, then hold off.

I'm so stressed about Hope today!!!!:tears2:

Yesterday she would eat soaked pellets, baby pumpkin food and chopped veggies from a dish. She ate nothing during the night so today I've syringed 20mls of soaked pellets mixed with pumpkin early this morning and a further 30mls around lunch time, she is taking it well but will not eat by herself at all. I am only managing to get a few mls of water into her mixed with dioralyte.

She is otherwise very active but really jumpy and not acting like herself at all, she is'nt really cleaning herself much either. I did give her doze of ibuprofen this morning but does this medicine give side effects? She seems a little hyperactive not long after I give it to her....with are eyes all like.....wide.

Her lip is still swollen and I can't move it to see the base of her teeth.

Am I getting enough food into her and is there anything else I can do for her?

Thank you

I have never used pain meds for the bunnies. I think if she's still sore at this point, you might want to start looking at taking her to the vet.

Hope still wont eat her hay, pellets or even drink water.

Yet she willtake water,banana, raisins and the pellet/pumpkin mixture but only if I give it to her. If she was still experiencing pain I'm guessing she wouldnt eat the raisins or banana. I don't know whats going on. :(

ellissian wrote:

Yet she willtake water,banana, raisins and the pellet/pumpkin mixture but only if I give it to her. If she was still experiencing pain I'm guessing she wouldnt eat the raisins or banana. I don't know whats going on. :(

Some things are worth the pain, some aren't.

She could have a broken jaw, I really think she needs to see a vet asap. Poor girl. :( Poor Ellissan. :( :(

:pray:

Definitely vet time, I would say. Poor girl...sounds like she probably still has a sore mouth and it might be hard for her to eat certain things. It might simply be a case of her mouthing being tender, and she's choosing softer foods...but it would be best to find out what's wrong now to rule out anything more serious, and just in case complications could set in.

:hug2: for Hope and ellissian :)

Pipp wrote:
ellissian wrote:

Some things are worth the pain, some aren't.

She could have a broken jaw, I really think she needs to see a vet asap. Poor girl. :( Poor Ellissan. :( :(

:pray:
Could be a tooth is loose or just sore, and yes could be a broken bone. She might be able to stand the pain of chewing a banana or raisen vs. the hard crunch of a pellets 0r as you say - maybe they are just worth the pain!

Definitely at this point it's time to see a vet.

How guilty do I feel!!! :(

I took her off the ibuprofen yesterday as I thought she was having side effects to it and was hand feeding lots yesterday too.

Since I read all the replies I gave her a dose and within 20 mins she was tucking in grass and eating the pellet mixture alone. Poor baby must of been in pain all along. :( :tears2:

Maybe I shouldn't own rabbits after all :(

Naw, she's just hurt. They all can have stuff happen.

Cloverbunny was all upset today cause i had Bo holding him while she was playing. My daughter put him back in with her and within minutes she bit him and yanked out hair.

She's such a bully.

Latest posts

Back