Home Remedies for Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
Fire ants: 50/50 boric acid and water in a spray bottle. Spray at the bottom of the cage and around the ends. Mixture won't harm the rabbits, but will kill the ants.

Cleaning white fur: 50/50 white vinegar and water in spray bottle. Spray on area to be cleaned, rub in corn starch - wait for consistency to form like a paste, let dry, then brush off.Also, just white vinegar works well too, but it may have to be applieda few times.

If you have any home remedies, please share them.

-Carolyn

cool moist teabags for slight eye infections, and for openingstubborn kits eyes ,

In lue of straw matswhen some cannot befound , regular strawor bedding hay as a cushionfor sore hocks , along witha well rubbed inointment called heal away . all naturaland can be purchasedat Blue Seal . I will get back to youwith more my brain just wentdead lol .
edit:

also moist coffeegrounds work well forAnts also they dont likecrossing over the grounds becauseof an acid that issecreated from thewet grounds.

Mites: It's said that Listerine helps rabbits with mites if one doesn't want to use Ivermectin. You'd have to spray it each day on the rabbit and around the cage area until they're gone.

Rosemary, in addition to may other good uses, is said to be used as a preventative measure in fighting off mites.

-Carolyn

Have you ever seen Rex or Mini Rex that lose fur on their foot pads? It's pretty common in those breeds. We use White Iodine on the Mini Rex who lose fur on their feet. (Available at the pharmacy for about US$4.00.)Do it before the feet develop abscesses. It smells bad, but the bunnies don't lick it. Put it on once a day with a cotton swab. The feet clear up in about 7-10 days and thefur starts coming back... I also give them Sheetrock to siton (don't put it in the corner where they usually pee...).They may chew it, and they LOVE pulling the paper off the top, but my vet felt that the limestone in the board was very good for their feet(and not harmful if they do chew it). Change the board if it gets soiled.

Thanks Emmy-Webby. :wink:

Poisoning: "Activatedcharcoal is used orally to prevent the absorption of various toxins(e.g. insecticides, aspirin overdose) from the stomach and intestines.It must be given soon after the ingestion of the toxin/poison. It isnot an antidote and other supportive care and medications may be neededfor the treatment of the poisoning."

http://www.brentwoodpetclinic.com/veterinarymedications.html

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,832,00.html

Something I noticed at a friends house the other day was they had sandwich bags half-full of white vinegar, and they poked a hole about the size of a pencil in one side. They had several hanging around as they are breeders and all the bunnies are in a barn,the flies seem to be very attracted to this and it seems to work very well for them.

BlueGiants wrote:
Have you ever seen Rex or Mini Rex that lose fur on their foot pads? It's pretty common in those breeds. We use White Iodine on the Mini Rex who lose fur on their feet. (Available at the pharmacy for about US$4.00.)Do it before the feet develop abscesses. It smells bad, but the bunnies don't lick it. Put it on once a day with a cotton swab. The feet clear up in about 7-10 days and the fur starts coming back... I also give them Sheetrock to sit on (don't put it in the corner where they usually pee...).They may chew it, and they LOVE pulling the paper off the top, but my vet felt that the limestone in the board was very good for their feet(and not harmful if they do chew it). Change the board if it gets soiled.
Thanks, my rabbits are rexes and although they don't loose fur on their feet i will remember this for if it ever happens.:)

FLIES - Take a large ziplock plastic bag and fill about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Hang outside any open doors or windows. The flies will not enter your house. I also hung one near the dog kennel and it has worked like a charm sof ar.

It is thought that the reflection from the bag fools the flies into thinking that there is a hornet or wasp nest near by so they avoid the area.

Jenni doyou put in just clear water? how interesting I have got to try that , hmm a baggie a day keeps the flies away lolI like it

I've used just clear water and it has kept the flies away from my GSD. Poor dog looked like one of those starving kids you see on TV with the flies on them.

I'm going tohang some from the rafters of the front porch next.

To remove ticks, mix a drop of Dawn dish soap with warm water. Using a medicine dropper, drop one or two drops of the soapy water on the tick. Wait a few seconds (you might even be able to see the tick back out of the skin) then pluck out. Drop the tick in a fireproof dish, and burn.Use one drop of Bactine on the spot. And be sure to disinfect your tweezers.

From healthypetcorner.com

"Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and
learn how to handle them and pretty soon, you have a dozen." John Steinbeck

[size="+1"]Basil[/size][size="+1"]
Leaves can be rubbed on insect bites to reduce itching and inflammation. Leaves can also be taken as a warming and uplifting tonic for nervous exhaustion or any cold condition. The juice with an equal quantity of honey can be used for ringworm and itching skin. An infusion (tea) of Basil combined with Wood Betony can be given immediately after birthing to prevent a retained placenta orafter birth. Cautions- do not use essential oils externally orinternally. Harvest before flowering. ~ Cheryl

[/size]

[size="+1"]"Comfrey
Highly recommended for rabbits. It is a digestive aid, helps with wool block and is used for many other things. It is an old remedy which should under no circumstances be discounted. In extreme doses, comfrey can cause diarrehea. This is its effects working too hard and if left unnoticed, the rabbit may dehydrate. When used with common sense, Comfrey is one of the best herbs we can give the bunnies!"Rebecca[/size]

[size="+1"]Dandelion
[/size]
[size="+1"]"Dandelion is an excellent food given fresh in unlimited quantities. Fermenting or wilted plants can cause bloat.Dandelions are one of the most nutritious food plants for rabbits.Being rich in protien and poor in fiber. The digestibility percentageis high at an estimated 70%. Well known for it's curative powers. The bitter milky sap stimulates the working of all glands, including the milk glands of lactating does. The plant has both laxative and astringent qualities and regulates constipation and diarrhea.

[/size][size="+1"]Dandelion is good for many things in people and can beused for rabbits with these problems also: preventing osteoporosis (for the old bunny), bladder infections, lactating, liver problems,swelling, tonsilitis, warts, and pneumonia.

[/size][size="+1"]I feed alot of Dandelion every day, especially to my babies and they just love it, but you have to be careful because that is all that they will want and won't eat their pellets. So I limit itto a few small handfuls a day." Cheryl

[/size][size="+1"]Dandelion Made My Bunnies Glow With Health!
[/size]
[size="+1"]"I have been giving my rabbits Dandelion leaves every morning for the last two weeks. Two (2) leaves to my Dwarfs and four (4) leaves to my Mini Rex and 6 to 8 leaves to my Flemish. After two weeks they all seem to glow! They are eating well, increased drinking, their fur is looking great and recovering from moult in fine fashion - not lingering in moulting for weeks and missing the shows. I now have a little "dandie" garden, because I can't believe the extreme changes with my concentrated efforts of daily dandelion leaves."Deanna[/size]

[size="+1"]Lavender[/size]
[size="+1"]Common Lavender - or - Narrow leaved Lavender - or - Lavender Spike (Lavendula augustfolia)[/size]

[size="+1"]"Lavender is not to be used lightly or frivously in breeding stock. It has a direct effect upon the uterus in helping to expel the contents, dead or alive, as well as being a diuretic. A late birthing doe will benefit from a little Lavender in order to naturally speed the process and it saves using drugs. The flowers are actually a mildt ranquilizer, acting upon the heart in easing blood pressure rather than acting upon the brain as an anti-stimulant. In other words, good for a stressed out rabbit.[/size] [size="+1"]LavenderCotton[/size][size="+1"] (Abrotonum foemina, Chamaecyparissus) is a specific medicine for internal worms, and also assists the kidneys in cleansing and breaking up of stones. It also helps reduce swellings if applied outwardly, and is generally good taken internally for the liver, chest and uterus." Judy[/size]

[size="+1"]Lavender is analgesic or pain-relieving, anticonvulsive,anitdepressant, anitmicrobial, antirheumatic, antiseptic,anitspasmodic, antitoxic, gas-relieving, bile-stimulating, deodorant,diuretic, insect-repelling, relaxing, circulation-stimulating, tonicand worm-repelling. Effective against burns & scalds,neutralizes the venom of insect bites & stings.

[/size][size="+1"]LavenderOil - Inhaled or ingested, it treats respiratory conditions. Orally, it relieves nausea, prevents flatulence, alleviates cramping, improves digestion & clears urinary tract infections.Applied to the skin & coat, it helps repel insects &treats abscesses, fungal infections, ringworm, lice, scabies, sores,sunburn, dermatitis, earache, wounds & inflammation. Reducesanxiety & lifts the spirits.[/size]

[align=left][size="+1"]"I haven't tryed straight Lavendar Oil by mouth or used it that way on my rabbits. I have used it in apple cider vinegar or water. I have made Lavendar tea from the flowers to give my rabbits by mouth and I've sprinkled some of the flowers on top of their food.One of my books says to add 3 to 5 drops of the oil on a sugar cube and take twice a day orally. So you may want to duilte it with carrier oil,water, or apple cider vinegar." Patty

[/size][size="+1"]Marjoram, Sweet[/size] [size="+1"](Majorana, Sampiucus, Amaracus)[/size] [/align]
[size="+1"]A diuretic, opens obstructions of the liver and spleen, isgood for colic pains and for disorders of the head (whatever they are)and settles the nerves. ~ Judy[/size]

[size="+1"]Marjoram, Wild[/size][size="+1"] (Origanum Vulgare)[/size]
[size="+1"]For "colds"- although rabbits do not actually contract the head cold as we know it. Useful for coughs, pleurisy and obstruction of the lungs and uterus (take care here) and is also calming. This one,crushed and applied direct, will help control swellings and eruptions and bruises. Apparently the distilled oil of this will ease toothache.~ Judy[/size]

[size="+1"]Mint[/size]
[size="+1"]Used for colds, eye inflammation, liver stimulant, and used to relax the muscles of the digestive tract and stimulate bile flow so are useful for indigestion, flatulence and colic and similar conditions.Reduces milk flow. Cautions are to avoid prolonged use, it can irritate the mucous membranes. Do not give any form of mint to young babies. Tobe harvested just before flowering. ~ Cheryl

[/size][size="+1"]Plantain[/size][size="+1"] (Plantago spp.)
Character: Slightly sweet, salty, and bitter; cool, mainly drying

Leaves: Relaxing expectorant, to nify mucous membranes, reduce phlegm, antispasmodic, topically healing[/size]
[size="+1"]"The leaves soothe urinary tract infections and irritations.Good for gastric inflammations. Juice pressed from fresh leaves is given orally for inflamed mucous membranes in cystitis, diarrhea and lung infections. Use the juice for inflamations, sores, and wounds.[/size] [size="+1"]Plantain does not cause digestive problems. The plant regulates the function of the intestines and is generally good for the mucous membranes. Useful in the diet of weanlings and can be harvested year around." Cheryl[/size]

[size="+1"]Rosemary[/size]

[size="+1"]Ideal for exhaustion, weakness, and depression. The arial parts (stems, leaves) invigorate the circulation, stimulate the digestion, and are good for cold conditions. Harvest fresh year-round.~ Cheryl[/size]

[size="+1"]Sage[/size]
[size="+1"]Reduces lactation when weaning, digestive stimulant and auterine stimulant. This herb should be used with caution and should be avoided during pregnancy. Sage contains Thujone, which can trigger fits in epileptics. ~ Cheryl

[/size][size="+1"]Thyme[/size]
[size="+1"]The arial parts (stems, leaves) are ideal for deep-seated chest infections marked by thick yellow phlegm. They are also a use fuldigestive remedy, warming for stomache, chills and associated diarrhea(irritable bowel). Expels worms. Cautions are to avoid therapeutic doses of thyme and thyme oil in any form because the herb is a uterine stimulant. Thyme oil can irritate the mucous membranes, so dilute well.Harvest before and during flowering in summer; discard the woody stems.~ Cheryl[/size]

Kricket wrote:
To remove ticks, mix a drop of Dawn dish soap with warm water.?Using a medicine dropper, drop one or two drops of the soapy water on the tick.? Wait a few seconds (you might even be able to see the tick back out of the skin) then pluck out.? Drop the tick in a fire proof dish, and burn.? Use one drop of Bactine on the spot.? And be sure to disinfect your tweezers.?

Hi Kricket, :wave:

I love Dawn dish washing soap. I also understand that it's good at removing stains on their coats.

Do you have to pluck it by getting it's head first or will the tick just succumb and fall out after the soapy mixture is dropped on it?

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Kricket wrote:
To remove ticks, mix a drop of Dawn dishsoap with warm water.?Using a medicine dropper, drop one or two drops of the soapy water onthe tick.? Wait a few seconds (you might even be able to see the tickback out of the skin) then pluck out.? Drop the tick in a fireproofdish, and burn.? Use one drop of Bactine on the spot.? And be sure todisinfect your tweezers.?

Hi Kricket, :wave:

I love Dawn dishwashing soap. I also understand that it's good at removing stains on their coats.

Do you have to pluck it by getting it's head first or will the tickjust succumb and fall out after the soapy mixture is dropped on it?

-Carolyn

Hello,My Dear:D

Well, I have only had to remove four ticks. All of them havebacked out of the skin and I haven't had topull them out oftheir skin. When I tweeze them off, I do grab those nastylittle creatures by the head and they fall out.:mad: SOooooo disgusting!

I will have to try Dawn for stains. Gave the buns half astrawberry each today. My poor brother was SO concerned whenhe saw the red stains on Star's paw. He called me at work andsaid she was bleeding...he was kind of frantic, then I suggested it wasstrawberry stain. He sounded embarrassed. :p

Hugs! Krick

Thanks for the follow-up, Kricket! :highfive:

I'll definitely put this thread in my binder.

You can also use white vinegar for 'tough stains'. You may have to apply it a time or two, but it's very effective.

Ear mites: A drop of mineral oil in each ear has worked for me.

Although messy, as the rabbit tries to dig it out and gets rather oily, it does kill take care of any pests inside.

The oil clogs up the pores in the mite and it suffocates.

Protecting your wooden furniture[/i]: Sprinkle on your dusting towelsome Tabasco sauce, and then spray over it your furniture polish anddust away.

The idea is that the rabbit tries to sink its teeth into yourfurniture, gets a taste of the hot sauce and doesn't want to go anyfurther.

This has proven great results for me. That said, Tucker - my Polish -loves hot and spicy. He licked the Tabasco Sauce up like it wasa lollipop. :disgust: I had to get "Dave's Insanity" at therecommendation of the wildlife biologist. I can only get it online asit does come with a warning.

The hot sauce doesn't do anything to your wooden furniture or its finish.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back