Home made cages?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethetailyall

Reaction score
Ok so i need to build some cages(and can be areference for othre people) Has anyone made a cage from scrach..cheeperthen the store cages?:?Not just grid cages...like wirecages?:bunnydance:please share all the cages you have made! fromhutched to wire cages to grid cages!:colors:

Thanks Everyone!:elephant:

I've made dozens of cages. Everything from wirecages, to wooden hutches, to pens, you name it. Don't haveany pics though cept of the wire ones on my website.... sorry.

Whats your web site?For a cage thaT IS about 24by 24(inch) how mutch would it cost to make..i want to see if itscheeper for me to make it or buy it!:DE-mail me..or P.M

24 inch by 24 inch is way too small to keep abunny in!:shock:A rabbit must be able to take at least 4 hopsin it's house, there's no way that could happen in such a small hutch.

We bought a play house, and made it into a bunny house for the 2 girls,a little more expensive that a standard hutch, but way way more floorspace.:)

Are you after indoor or outdoor?

I agree. Too small for a rabbit with all thefood dishes and other things, the rabbit probably wouldn't be able tomove more than a single hop.

My favourite cages are NIC cages. They are cheap, versatile, roomy, andmy rabbits and others love them! Definitely two thumbs up for NIC cages.

How much is your price range? I built a 4 x 4 NIC cage for around $60.You could easily make a good sized 4 x 2 for around$40.

No a 24 by 24 for a baby or a dwarf...i needteperary holding spases sometimes becuse people as if i can have anunwanted rabbit..and incase i had to have it for a few days i wouldceep it in there till someone could pick it up!Or also for going toshowes..if it is overnight i bring some cages along!my lop is in a 4foot cage right now i think...or more..i dont know!I cant use cubecages there to hard to move around..and some rabbits just dont littertrain and it makes life harder to clean the darn thing!

Like this??

We have switched over to NIC cages for everyone else...but theHooligans like their hutch too much for us to take it away.They like being "hidden" and wouldn't like the open feel of anNIC. Eventually when we replace it they 'll have to learn tolike NIC'c because they are so much better!:D

24x24 is not that small. Its the same as whathoney has for sale and mine is 36x24 and its not that muh bigger.Finefor a dwarf baby.

Another good distinction to make is whether its for indoor or outdoor use, because NIC grids are too flimsy for outdoor.

Its for outdoor..in a shed perhaps..but cages get stacked...and NIC cages just dont hold up to good...wish they where better..

But thank you everyone for your replies..it was really kind of you:)

Lotz of love....Lovethetailyall:kiss:

24 x 24 inch cages areindustrystandard for most breeders with average sized rabbits. I'vemade many cages from single 24 x 24 to large 12 holestackers. Most certainly cheaper to make themyourself. The most expensive part is the pan. It'smost economical to buy full rolls of cage wire from dealers at shows soyou don't have to pay shipping. You'll need 2 x 1 for thesides and 1 x 1/2 for the bottoms.

The hardest part - cutting the wire - you'll need good quality wire cutters or you'll suffer some serious hand pain.

Pam

DHinsiderabbitry.jpg

Thanks Pam, was thinking that wasstandard but I asnt shure so I didnt want to say. The guy I got minefrom said that to me because I wanted to know an average. LikeI saidmine i a bit bigger but I just have one spoiled pet.

Ok soo cAN ANYONE LETT ME THE APROX PRICE TOBUILD A 24BY 24 CAGE..MY NABOOR IS GOING TO MAKE SOME FOR ME AND I DONTWANT TO RIP HIM OR BE RIPED OFF?:D

I guess it depends on where you are getting yoursupplies from, I could get mine for basically free because of where mydad works:), but if you are going to a storeI guess it wouldbe more expensive.

Pleasetry to make them as big as you can possibly afford,that size may be standard, but IMO it's not big enough, makes mesad.:(

What is your budget? I won't be able to help you with thatasI don't knowNorth Americanprices, butother US/Canadian members will be able to give you a more accurate idea.

I buy my 24 X 24 cages from the feed store. Theydon't come with the pans underneath and they are about $20 each...hemight have sold me some at $18 each when he got them on special.

The pans themselves run $15 or so I think...

Peg

Latest posts

Back