Home made cages?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i get a 24 by 24 for about $30 or so dollersfrom a cage maker....but my naboor is going to build some for me...solike im trying to figure out how mutch the material would costfor a 24 by 24 so i can pay for material andlaboor.:?Pamnock?? you know?

Ohh dont worrie..the 24 by 24 is for a netherland Dwarf..so it an ok size.

Michaela wrote:
I guess it depends on where you are getting your supplies from,I could get mine for basically free because of where my dad works:),but if you are going to a storeI guess it would be moreexpensive.

Pleasetry to make them as big as you can possibly afford,that size may be standard, but IMO it's not big enough, makes mesad.:(

What is your budget? I won't be able to help you with thatasI don't knowNorth Americanprices, butother US/Canadian members will be able to give you a more accurate idea.

lovethetailyall wrote:
Ohh dont worrie..the 24 by 24 is for a netherlandDwarf..so it an ok size.

Michaela wrote:
I guess it depends on where you are getting your supplies from,I could get mine for basically free because of where my dad works:),but if you are going to a storeI guess it would be moreexpensive.

Pleasetry to make them as big as you can possibly afford,that size may be standard, but IMO it's not big enough, makes mesad.:(

What is your budget? I won't be able to help you with thatasI don't knowNorth Americanprices, butother US/Canadian members will be able to give you a more accurate idea.
Actually the smaller breeds need more space as they are so hyperandactive, Netherlands should have a lot of space to runaround.

I'm not going to keep at this, I just don't want people who are new to bunnies to read this and think that is ok.

Do you not understand this is for a baby that ihave gotten..she fits in the palm of my had...I know that there areload of other people that ceep reglar sized rabbits i small cages..anddid i not metion the rabbits run around during the day?:?theyjust sleep in there cages:eek:hwell:

Are you forgetting what happened the last timeyou ignored a senior member'sadvice:disgust:? Anyway heres what myoutdoor cage looked like for an nerthland dwarf

Flopsy4-2005003.jpg

Flopsy4-2005001.jpg

fluffy003small.jpg

lovethetailyall wrote:
Do you notunderstand this is for a baby that i have gotten..she fits in the palmof my had...I know that there are load of other people that ceep reglarsized rabbits i small cages..and did i not metion the rabbits runaround during the day?:?they just sleep in therecages:eek:hwell:

Baby rabbits grow.

You did not mention that this was a baby or just for sleeping, this isthe first we've heard of it. So your rabbits run around all day evenwhen you are at school and can't supervise them?

And you say your neighbour is building some cages, why doyou need more than one if this is for one baby rabbit?

Big and smaller cages.Small for when younger,bigfor wen bigger my other Netherland is in a cage that is about.. 5 feetor so (long) and two feet or so wide.My mom is home during the day andopens up the cgaes..and until i get soemthing set up outside they willbe able to go outside too...Im not seprive animals of there space.Ihave seen picts people have posted on the forum of the cages they useand they are SMALL.:)

First, I've seen other member's whose cages aresmall too. And I disagree with that aswell, but just becausethey do it doesn't make it right.

But my question is, if some cages are for when they're small, and somefor when they're big, why have two separate sets of cages? That's onlya waste of time getting them, space putting them, and money buildingthem. Why not just build a big cage from the beginning, so the rabbitcan grow into it?

Also, does your mom supervise the rabbits every minute they are outrunning? (I really wonder if your mom stands out there for hours at atime just watching rabbits). My rabbits have land that is fenced in andbunny proof. But I still sit out there and watch them, about 1.5 hoursper bunny (they also run around the house, the 1.5 hours is just theiroutside time).

As usual (this is beginning to get monotonous) no one is judging you, they just have the rabbit's best interest in mind.

lovethetailyall wrote:
Thanks! yep the cage my Grown netherland is in he canmake about..5 hops or more:D
Is there any way you could post a picture of your cage? I'm justcurious as I've heard you talk about it, but never seen it before.

I dident say im takeing no ones advice..imjust trying to figure out a resonable L+W of a cage so i can tell mynabbor what sixe to build..Nice cage..is the front made of a dog crate?its an asome looking cage for shure!:cool:

Flopsy wrote:
Are you forgetting what happened the last time you ignored asenior member's advice:disgust:? Anywayheres what my outdoor cage looked like for an nerthland dwarf

Flopsy4-2005003.jpg

Flopsy4-2005001.jpg

fluffy003small.jpg

lovethetailyall wrote:
Do you notunderstand this is for a baby that i have gotten..she fits in the palmof my had...I know that there are load of other people that ceep reglarsized rabbits i small cages..and did i not metion the rabbits runaround during the day?:?they just sleep in therecages:eek:hwell:

yea hold on i go a camerah down stairs he ismissing about some grids.My broth needed it for a project..soemthingabout a metal net..so he is deprived of two pannes of lenght and twopannels of width!I will take the pict tonight..and dont mind the fewpoops in the cornder..he desided he was going to move his litter so helet his poops out there...:?Its silvers cage by theaway..will be posted in a few hours.

Yup yup the biggest dog crate we couldfind. Is this for an outdoor or indoor rabbit? Ifits outdoor I suggest a cage like mine but if its indoor. NICis really the way to go:nod

Right now there getting let out in thebasement..yes she will wach them..but in the summer a rabbit proof penwill be set up and wile my mummy is garding tending to the pool and allthat mom stuff she will watch them..:DAnd when i get home i let themout too.

MyBoyHarper wrote:
First, I've seen other member's whose cages are small too. And Idisagree with that aswell, but just because they do itdoesn't make it right.

But my question is, if some cages are for when they're small, and somefor when they're big, why have two separate sets of cages? That's onlya waste of time getting them, space putting them, and money buildingthem. Why not just build a big cage from the beginning, so the rabbitcan grow into it?

Also, does your mom supervise the rabbits every minute they are outrunning? (I really wonder if your mom stands out there for hours at atime just watching rabbits). My rabbits have land that is fenced in andbunny proof. But I still sit out there and watch them, about 1.5 hoursper bunny (they also run around the house, the 1.5 hours is just theiroutside time).

As usual (this is beginning to get monotonous) no one is judging you, they just have the rabbit's best interest in mind.

SOme of my cages are stacked so i find thatthe NIC are to flimsy..shure i have them is there on there own but iprefure outer cages...I have thoght about useing dog crates...but sometimes the bar spaceing is to big:?

Flopsy wrote:
Yup yup the biggest dog crate we could find. Is thisfor an outdoor or indoor rabbit? If its outdoor I suggest acage like mine but if its indoor. NIC is really the way togo:nod

I'm interested in seeing a picture of your cage too.

Dog crates would be a good idea, if you find the bar space too big youcould cover it in a lighter wire, like Rosie (Maherwoman) does with herNIC cages.

Flopsy, I did want to mention that the 1/2 x 1/2inch hardware cloth used in the bottom of your cages is not a suitablenor safe flooring for rabbits. The wire does not offer enoughsupport and can rust through quickly. The side wire is also arisk for small rabbits that can shove their heads through and get stuck- a broken neck can result.

lovethetailyall- Labor is approx. what youwould spend in materials. Depending on how you purchase thewire, materials are approx. $25 for a 24 x 24 cage, so labor paid percage should be $25.

Pam

Pamnock- I don't know the difference between 1cmand 1/2 inch. But the wire is 1cm x 1cm. Thats thesame as an 1/2in x 1/2in right? What is the maxium "safest"wire size? I always thought mine was fine, shows what I knoweh? :D Our wire was fine for 4 years. I never liked the factof pet rabbits being on wire anyways:bunnydance:

ilovethetailyall- How many rabbits do you have?

6..at the time...and to piggys..may i say thepiggys are crazy..they squeeek all day..and near din din time!!!Weeeeattt weatttt...mommy mommy i want veggies!:D

Latest posts

Back