Holly Gets Spayed April 12th

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalballl

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know my baby girl, Holly is going in to getspayed on April 12th @ 8:30. I am sooooooooo nervous aboutit. I have opted to do the pre-op blood work.Phoning the vet completely ruined my day, I'm making myself so stressedabout it.

I have no clue what to do when she comes home. I know I'veread a lot about it, but at this point I'm not sure I remember my nameright now. So if anyone has any advice and stuff about what Ishould when she comes home, that would be wonderful. Should Ileave her in her cage and not give her, her pen for a day orso?! (She has to jump out of her cage in to thepen) She does come home with pain meds, I have no clue how toadminister them?! I've never had a rabbit fixed before,Bandit came to me neutered. I have however had both my catsdone, but they were fine.

Crystal (Bandit & Mommy's poor Holly Bally):(

Hey there!! I know how stressed you must be.

I would say keep her in the cage for the day when she gets home - thatwill keep her from bouncing around too much and over doingit.

Just watch her for her eating and drinking. You can mix thepain meds with a little applesauce or other fruity baby food or you cantry to syringe them to her if she won't eat the babyfood.I have a post somewhere on how to syringefeed, I'll see if I can find it for you.

I got Misty from the shelter 3 days after she was spayed, and she was bouncy and mischevious - just 3 days later.

You will just need to check that the scar is healing up well and isn't red/puffy and she's not chewing at it.

Don't worry - we're all here for questions and support!!

Thanks for Responding Nadia.

I thought it would be best if she just relaxed for the night and thenext day in her cage to recuperate (sp?!) I will goget some babyfood/applesauce for her meds to try and give it to herthat way! That'd probably be easier. I've neversyringe fed either buns. I did with my Girl Kitty after shewas fixed (she needed antibiotics) but never the buns.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions when she comes home. Ijust want the best for her. It's so nerve wracking.I feel sorry for the little girl.

Crystal

I'll be praying for your little girl.

Ive had 4 girls spayed now (Lucy and 3 fosters) and all wentfine. I kept all of them caged for about 2 days after thesurgery. You just dont want them jumping and running around where theycould hurt themselves.

The pain meds are usually easy to syringe to them because it tasteslike honey. I just put the syringe up to their mouths and they willusually open. If not, you can hold them close and stick the syringe inthe side of the mouth.

Getting some emergency stuff in advance is good. I always keep babyfood, canned pumpkin and pedialyte on hand in case ofemergencies. You will want to be sure she is eating at leastby the morning after the surgery. Maybe get some of her favoriteveggies as well to entice her to eat.

Keep us posted and let us know if you need any help!

Thanks Haley!

I do have pumpkin and stuff like that, and I usually have applesaucesand stuff. But I'm out right now I'll definately have allthat before she goes in. What about her litter? DoI need to change it to a certain kind? I use Yesterday's Newsright now.

And I will definately have some of her fav veggies!

Yesterdays News is fine. Just change the litterwhile shes at the vets so she comes home to a clean box. Try to keepher cage clean and loose hay picked up.

Im sure she'll be fine though. I was surprised how quickly my girlsrecovered. I had only had boys before Lucy and I was terrified, but shewas fine. And the incision was a lot smaller than I had expected.

Oh most definately, I will completely clean hercage while she's at the vets. It's definately going to be along day, I'll need to keep myself busy somehow :)

I'll be thinking of Holly that day.I'm sure she'll be just fine. I bet she'll be like Rupertwas, and not be too phased by it at all :)

Good Luck Holly and Crystal!

Try not to worry too much though. She'll be fine mostlikely. I agree with keeping her caged for 2 days.You don't want her doing too much.

If something comes up after she's home just pop on here andask. You can also pm Haley or one of the mods.:)We're all glad to help, you know that.

Thanks so much Angel. I'm sure all will go well. It's just very nerve wracking.

I will definately leave a msg and let everyone know how she's doing or if something comes up!

Okay, well this came way too fast! Mypoor baby girl goes in for her surgery in the morning. I wentand bought the stuff I need (baby food, more pumpkin) and I even wentand bought her a new Blankie and a new carrier (I needed another oneanyways). I'm gonna put her blankie she has now in with herso she feels more comfort and give her her new one when she gets home,cuz she'll probably pee on the one in the carrier.

I'm goign to bring some of her fav parsley with me and ask the vet to give it to her when she is done her surgery.

Anything else I have missed???

I'm so nervous :(

Crystal

I'll be thinking of you guys all day tomorrow!!

Hope everything goes well. I know how yourfeeling my Jessica went in last Thursday to get spayed and I was moretraumatised than her, she looked really groggy when first got her backand she just wanted to ignore me for the first few days and I wasworried she hated me, she didn't though she just wanted to be leftalone and within a couple of days she was following me around andbegging for food heehee.

I was given pro biotics which were in a syringe and I had to give hertwice a day and even with one holding her down and the other trying toget it in her mouth she went ballistic. In the end I had to mix it inwith her pellets she seemed happy enough to eat it :D

Let us know how she gets on, big bunny hugs and kisses to her xxxx

Love Mez

Oh I missed this! I'm praying for Holly Crystal:pray:, I am sure she'll make it through without a problem!:hug2:

Thank you, Mez & Michaela!!

We're leaving in about 30 mins. I'm not taking this toogood. I'm sure she'll be fine, but I'm going to worry anyways

I will leave a msg when I get back from the vet this morning.

I'm thinking of you and Holly today. :pray:

After she heals, be careful when you first allow her to play withBandit. It's not uncommon for bonded rabbits to fight after ashort separation.

It may not be an issue for you (I hope not!), but Iwanted you to be prepared just in case.

Snuggy was a monster to Baby after she was spayed. It was awful and took me weeks to get them re-bonded.

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back