Himalayan Buck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
There is a himalayan buck kit we will likely be taking home :D He comes from wonderful lines and his breeder is going to help us get into showing to see if we'd like it! We are very excited, as I used to love to show dogs. The breeder is strict about the temperament of their rabbits, and they have a free roaming house show bunny :D I like that they love their bunnies in their home and are willing to help us start out our showing. I have a few options. The rabbits are not posed in these pics, but the first is a blue and he is 6 months and the second is a lilac and he is 10 weeks. It is standard for himalayans to have pink eyes in case you are not familiar with them it is not red eye from the camera. Thoughts?

As an aside, they are a little smutty right now - I'm aware of that!

IMG_0860-1.jpg

IMG_8238-1.jpg

I like the length on the blue buck. His points look like a nice blue color Its really hard to tell type on either of them because they arent posed really well and/or the camera angle isnt good. Could the breeder get better pictures and some of the boots and front feet? A head shot would also be great to see the egg and ear base.

Is the lilac dirty or is that his actual fur color?

Temperment is nice but you dont want to sacrifice quality for a nice disposition. Himis are awesome and very sweet rabbits in general, especially the bucks. If you aren't going to have very many (as in maybe a pair or trio for starting out) then I would suggest to focus more on the quality of the rabbit and disposition should come second, as they are usually very sweet rabbits. If these were britannia petites I would suggest disposition over quality but they arent lol

That's so funny you say that about the britannia! Another person used them as an example when talking about bad bites!
The little ones are sometimes all silver at birth and then get lighter, so the baby is a little smutty and silvery right now. As far as color on him, it's just too early to tell. 6 months is usually when you can kind of tell, but they just don't need anymore bucks and have a few excellent ones, so they don't really need any more. I will get some posed pics if I can. I should stress that while I might show this one rabbit, I will probably NOT be breeding and he is mostly a pet :D For THAT reason, I was most interested in temperament.

I didn't realize that Himmies could be born silvery. I wonder if it's similiar to some Californians being born gray? I know their fur usually turns white as they grow.

If both have good temperament then their points and coloring would be the next thing to look at. I'd be interested in seeing some posed shots also. I also like the length on the older one, as well as his color. His egg looks like it might be a little ragged, but it's hard to tell from that angle.

Brits get a bad rap sometimes, lol! There are some sweet ones out there, but there are probably a lot more that aren't.

I will try to get some posed pics for everyone here :D It's just a terrible time to be looking at himalayan anything now with it being so freezing cold where I am all the rabbits seem to smut up in the winter...I assume its the cold though I have heard many many theories...should I wait to buy until the spring when the rabbits around here clean up a bit?

The blue looks pretty clean..the dark coloring over the eyes may be from the cold., although I know that does especially get this as they get older and has little to do with the temps. I was fortunate with my Himalayans and didn't have too much problem with smut in the cold weather...but it does happen, more so if they're outside. Smut will disappear with their next molt.

Right now is a horrible time for smut in Pennsylvania. Most of the Californians were DQ'd at the show last weekend, along with almost all of the Himis. So there are a LOT of us that are hoping for a big huge molt before the PaSRBA Convention next month. LOL With that said, I like the blue one. He's probably blue all over because he got chilled in the nest box. We had a litter of really dark blue baby Cals until they molted.

Right now is a horrible time for smut in Pennsylvania. Most of the Californians were DQ'd at the show last weekend, along with almost all of the Himis. So there are a LOT of us that are hoping for a big huge molt before the PaSRBA Convention next month. LOL With that said, I like the blue one. He's probably blue all over because he got chilled in the nest box. We had a litter of really dark blue baby Cals until they molted.

Do you mean the blue junior or the lilac baby that is sort of standing?

HAHA! I shouldn't type after being on a steady intake of Nyquil...even awake I'm in a fog. LOL Anyway, I meant the lilac one will probably shed out all the extra coloring...but I like the blue one (top picture). But I also know next to nothing about Himis and they aren't posed. :)

I know with californians that they can get what is called nest box chill. When that happens they look blue all over or smutted all over. I had one really experienced breeder at Houston say that smut was hereditary. That was the ONE reason why she did not buy my rabbit.

How old was the rabbit with the smut? Where is the smut located? Every single breeder I've talked to....and every single judge that has judged them...knows that in the cold rabbits that ordinarily don't have smut get it. And it leaves again when they molt. There are some rabbits that always have smut and those shouldn't be purchased. The breeder may have told you that was the reason, but chances are there were others, too.

1 rabbit is 6 months the obviously older cleaner blue and the lilac baby just getting his points is 10 weeks. I agree a breeder might lie about the reasons their rabbits have smut. The baby has a full brother that they have as a house rabbit and he is clean, clean, with very few drags and no body smut. That is why I think she is being honest.

They did not breed the 6 month old but rather bought him from a judge friend and realized they didn't really need so many blue bucks. He has not lived indoors but there are pictures of him being held by a very young girl and she is just kind of dangling him and he is chill as can be, so I think he could become a pet.

Oh no, that comment about the smut was for Lauren, when she said a breeder wouldn't buy a rabbit from her only because of the smut. I don't think the breeder is lying to you at all. Cold DOES bring out smut, unfortunately. And heat takes away the coloring, too. Kitty's Californians ended up with gray points this summer because of heat. Now they're all black as black can be. And some have a tiny spot of smut now. It is what it is. lol Have you thought of names yet?

Well, I believe they both have paper names, so I was thinking I would hear those and try to play something off of that. If I absolutely hate it, then I will just give him a 'call' name totally different from his paper name :D

I read somewhere that big time cali and himmi breeders in the south can sometimes have chiller rooms to keep the rabbits between 45-65 degrees F so they are dark enough!

I don't doubt that! Next summer her show stock is moving into the basement. It stays super cool, thank goodness. Otherwise we're going to need to fix up a well-insulated stall in the barn and put in an A/C for them. haha

There are several breeders in Texas who have their Cals in an A/C barn. You can tell the difference, too. Their rabbits look beautiful summer and winter. We've had Cals and Himalayans and I think our Himmies kept their points better than the Cals did through the different seasons.

My daugter has a Tan whose paper name is Sinatra, but we've always called him Monster. I honestly can't remember why we changed it though, lol!

Back