hey yall new here with a rex

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgrl

Reaction score
this is my first rabbit, though i did have one when i was little i dont think that counts lol. but i just got him, right now he is in a rabbit cage from the store but next week he will be getting a upgrade, ive been reading on here about the xpens, and thats what i will be getting him or her, he is just a baby, i dont know what im going to call him/her but i will have a name soon, any suggestions on names would be helpful. he is all white with a little bit of brown by his eye, and a spot on his back, i would add pictures but i dont know how.

Welcome to RO!

The easiest way to post photographs is to use the RO Gallery. All you need to do is upload photos to the gallery, then click on the "G" icon when you're composing a post to insert the photo into the message.

We've got a thread on how to use the photo gallery in our "how to" forum.

ok i uploaded to the gallery but still dont see the G button on here so here is a photobucket picture i know not the best pictures but i didnt want to disturb him
IMG_20121009_121519.jpg

IMG_20121009_121504.jpg

Cute bun.
Until you get your x-pen, might I recommend putting a towel or something soft on the floor of your new friend's cage?
It will help him/her to feel more comfortable, and also keep the bunny feets from getting sore.
Good luck!

Ditto on the towel. Also, maybe a box or some sort of hideout for him/her. Rabbits get stressed adjusting to new homes.

I would also recommend littertraiming. You can start that now too with a litterbox and safe rabbit litter (not clay cat litter) hay racks can be made with an Kleenex box have the hay stick out where the Kleenex is.

Also toys can be toilet paper rolls or boxes from around the house.

As far as bonding with him or her, allow your rabbit to set the pace. Shy and skittish, move slow and don't rush things. If he/she seems curious, let her out to explore you.

Welcome and congratsnon your new bun :)

Oh how cute! :inlove:

How big is he? He looks like a mini rex to me, but I have a castor mini rex so they all tend to look mini to me unless there is a size reference. :)

Welcome to RO!

Hi! I am with Gainesville Rabbit Rescue. If you have any specific questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our program director Kathy @ 352-318-00328. She is about 30 minutes from you. When you are ready to get your bunny fixed, we have a vet that can do it for $65 through our low-cost program.

@minilophop he is pretty small, he can fit in my hand, i got him at a petshop, i know bad choice, but i have been wanting one and then i walked in and seen him or her and another one, i almost got both, do you think i should have gotten both would they have been happier? i can go back and get him tomorrow :) any who i was thinking mini rex also, rex's are the one with super soft fur, his literraly feels like cotton.
@slavetobunny,i will deffiantly be getting him neutred thank you for the info i was reading on here how they NEED to get neutered, which i didnt know. i have been on all day reading. except to take breaks to let him out a few times to climb on the bed with me, and he did great he would check things out then come back to me and climb on me. on the floor he doesnt want no part of me so i think for a few days till he gets used to me he will be let out on the bed with me on it.

most rabbits are happier if they have a friend of the same species :)

if I were you, I'd make sure to learn how to sex rabbits before going back to consider the other one - if they're definitely the same gender (confirm this for yourself, don't trust the pet store folks!), you can keep them together until their first fight and then get them fixed, wait for hormones to die down and then re-bond them. if they're an opposite sex pair, because you can't be sure of their exact ages and because some bunnies are early bloomers, you would want to keep them separate (but near each other) from the get-go to make sure there's no chance of an "oops" litter.

the benefits of getting a second bunny now:
#1 you JUST got the first bunny so pretty much your whole house is neutral territory. not that it matters because...
#2 babies will bond with anyone
#3 if they bond as babies and you get them apart before they can get fight much after the hormones kick in, it makes reintroducing them later much easier as long as they're always close enough to see/smell each other without being so close that they can fight through the bars
#4 if you're lucky, they might be able to get fixed before they even get hormonal, at least w/females (with males, they generally get neutered once the testicles descend which I believe is also when the hormones start... females can be fixed once they're 4-6 mos depending on the vet and their size and puberty may or may not have kicked in yet.

I think an opposite-sex pair is risky with babies, though, because you have to separate them so young to ensure no chance of a pregnancy that they won't really have time to establish a sufficient bond and once they're fixed adults, you just have to cross your fingers that they get along.

the benefits of waiting until after your bunny is fixed and the hormones are totally gone:
#1 no worries about that first fight; no hassle of having to house them separately for what could be as much as 2-3 mos depending on how quickly after they get hormonal your vet is willing to fix them and how long after that it takes for hormones to subside.
#2 you can find a shelter that allows bunny dating (where you bring your bunny in to meet potential matches) and let your bunny pick their own friend, increasing the chances of a successful bond. most that allow dating also allow you to return/exchange the second bunny if the bond just won't work. this means there's no chance of being stuck housing two bunnies separately on a permanent basis if they don't get along as adults.

if you want a M/F pairing, I would definitely go the second route of waiting for your bunny to be a fixed, non-hormonal adult and then finding a shelter bunn.

I currently own two females who are almost 5 mos old but haven't had any fights yet *knocks on wood* and are due to be spayed in 7 days, so it looks like the 2 babies thing is going to work out very well for me without ever having to separate/re-bond... however, that's certainly not always the case and there is an element of chance involved in getting two rabbits as babies.

Not to be a downer, but with so many rabbits in desperate need of homes please consider not getting another from a pet store. The Gainsville rescue is so close and they do a wonderful job of bonding. You could even get an already fixed bun to bring home now if you wanted a pair already. Then you could safely have a M/F pair (easiest to bond) without needing to wait and risk an oops or a visit from the gender fairy, which happens more than you would think.

and i will never introduce meeko, my dog,with my rabbit for sure, when he is around the cage that is all he does, just sits there and stares, and gets really excited. so if he doesnt change his reaction there will never be a meeting between them.

MiniLopHop wrote:
Not to be a downer, but with so many rabbits in desperate need of homes please consider not getting another from a pet store. The Gainsville rescue is so close and they do a wonderful job of bonding. You could even get an already fixed bun to bring home now if you wanted a pair already. Then you could safely have a M/F pair (easiest to bond) without needing to wait and risk an oops or a visit from the gender fairy, which happens more than you would think.
honestly, I'd still recommend waiting, as your bunny will need to be fixed before you can bunny-date at a shelter to help find the best match.

shelters really are great, though. I couldn't find one with bunnies in my area and had to get my bunnies through a breeder... it's going to cost me $210 each to get them spayed next week - $55 for an already fixed rabbit is a GREAT deal!

Yes, our adoption fee is $55 for an already spayed/neutered rabbit. As I already mentioned, we can have your current rabbit fixed for $65. We will do bunny dates with your rabbit to find the best match. One other thing I should mention, is that we do not adopt to homes with unaltered rabbits unless there is a health reason for not altering.

I hope we can help you find a soulmate for for your bunny!

Latest posts

Back