Hey Misty - we wanna see your new bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mistyjr wrote:
Yeah! We bought the Black Tort Buck... Everybody or some said on here that hes not a good Lion-Head but he is sure loosing that fur and its coming in very good.
I just went and checked that other thread - seems to me that the fur was only part of it.

Unfortunately - you can't molt your way into good type if you have bad type and long ears, etc.

Some things can be helped with time - others can't.

hey misty, a pointer I want to give you, sometimes when you are at a show looking at rabbits to buy, get a second opinion from another exhibitor or a judge. With judges you want to talk to them before the show starts. most are nice enough to give you an opinion on a rabbit you want to buy.

schneider1022 was actually next the the lady that I bought the Lion-Head from.. And some of lines came from her rabbits.. And I have talked to a few Lion-Head breeders in Michigan and Wisconsin and they like him and my other Lion-Head doe said shes a keeper.. Yes, I need to take him to the next show and see what they have to say about him.. People on the internet cant hardly tell by picture then real life.. But like I said I have talked to other breeders also.

Lionheads are all unique they don't all look the same that is partially why there not a recognized breed it is hard to find alot of consistency between what one person is breeding for and what another is breeding for.

If you have been out of breeding them for about 2 years now its going to be harder to know what is going on with the breed unless your working with them on a daily basis. in my opinion

I have noticed since breeding lionheads you CAN NOT judge them by a picture some look 2 X worse than they actually are and some look 2 X better than they actually are and some look in the picture as they are. She dosent' have him properly posed in the picture so that would throw you off thinking he is bad and he is very much in his baby coat yet in that picture witch would make it look like he is bad... some lines take a while to shed out and some lines shed out right away.

http://www.schneiders-little-lions.webs.com (website with our lionheads :)

schneider1022 wrote:
If you have been out of breeding them for about 2 years now its going to be harder to know what is going on with the breed unless your working with them on a daily basis. in my opinion
Well - I disagree but whatever.... :biggrin:

I stay connected with lionheads by checking out the wins - visiting certain websites on a regular basis and seeing what breeders have (especially the long-term ones), etc.

I may not post on the lionhead rabbit list - but I read it on a regular basis and stay in touch with many breeder friends.

So I feel like I know a pretty good amount about not only what has gone on with the breed - but what is going on with them even now.

TinysMom wrote:
schneider1022 wrote:
Well - I disagree but whatever.... :biggrin:

I stay connected with lionheads by checking out the wins - visiting certain websites on a regular basis and seeing what breeders have (especially the long-term ones), etc.

I may not post on the lionhead rabbit list - but I read it on a regular basis and stay in touch with many breeder friends.

So I feel like I know a pretty good amount about not only what has gone on with the breed - but what is going on with them even now.
I meant to add - I am toying with going back into the breed and have already picked the rabbitries I will work with based upon their stock and my first-hand knowledge of putting hands on rabbits and judging them.

What is interesting to me - from seeing photos on the forum is that frequently I will see something - only to have our wonderful ARBA judge Pam Nock come in here (who handles the rabbits on a regular basis) and confirm that what some of us breeders are seeing is what she sees also.

Anyway - welcome to the forum - who knows - if I do get back into lionheads - we may compete against each other someday at Nationals or something!

mistyjr wrote:
People on the internet cant hardly tell by picture then real life..
Wow - I guess we can stop asking Pam Nock (and other breeders on here) for their opinions on our stock - or at least your stock!

Glad you have someone there who can give you hands-on advice.

schneider1022 wrote:
Lionheads are all unique they don't all look the same that is partially why there not a recognized breed it is hard to find alot of consistency between what one person is breeding for and what another is breeding for.

I have noticed since breeding lionheads you CAN NOT judge them by a picture some look 2 X worse than they actually are and some look 2 X better than they actually are and some look in the picture as they are. She dosent' have him properly posed in the picture so that would throw you off thinking he is bad and he is very much in his baby coat yet in that picture witch would make it look like he is bad... some lines take a while to shed out and some lines shed out right away.

http://www.schneiders-little-lions.webs.com (website with our lionheads :)
Yes, That is true...

He is starting to shed some lately. I have noticed.. Hes starting to loose some of hes coat on hes back and hes mane is getting wild. :)

I believe she was just showing you a pic of her new bunny, and asking for an "Opinion" of what you think of him from the picture.

We seen the tort bunny in person at the show he is nice and fits the breed standard, he was only in his baby coat in that picture. Lionheads are wooly as babies and they do shed out sometimes it takes5 months the ones that are clean at 2 months old usually keep nothing for mane. Your "opinion" does not fit what he is actually like so you can't judge them by pictures all the time especially if there not posed properly. That is all we were getting at.

schneider1022 wrote:
I believe she was just showing you a pic of her new bunny, and asking for an "Opinion" of what you think of him from the picture.

We seen the tort bunny in person at the show he is nice and fits the breed standard, he was only in his baby coat in that picture. Lionheads are wooly as babies and they do shed out sometimes it takes5 months the ones that are clean at 2 months old usually keep nothing for mane. Your "opinion" does not fit what he is actually like so you can't judge them by pictures all the time especially if there not posed properly. That is all we were getting at.
I will get better pictures of him today. He is getting more cutier now and a lot bigger. He haves done hes first breeding and didnt know what to do with her...lol. :p
But now he is 4 months old,

Thanks, And yes, He is cute and loves to pose.. The breeder that I got him from poses her rabbits every few hrs a day. And she is very helpful on the Woolies.. Now with the Lion-Heads! :p

If your ever at a WI rabbit show we are more than happy to help you out as much as we can with what questions you may have about the lionheadbreed.

schneider1022 wrote:
If your ever at a WI rabbit show we are more than happy to help you out as much as we can with what questions you may have about the lionheadbreed.
Thanks, I also email well known lion heads breeders too. Like I have with you of cource.. I wish I knew the lady that I bought him from.

lelanatty wrote:
How hard is it to breed Harlie out?
And... can't there be no such thing as Blue Fawn? Because fawn is a lighter/dilute orange?

If it were a fawn/orange color with a blue undercoat it would be a Lynx.
I suspect foul play. We need someone who really knows their colors.

I just googled "blue fawn rabbit" and found a UK rabbit breeders web site. They call their Torts "fawns." For example, a black tort would be called a "sooty fawn." There was also a "blue fawn" listed there, which would be a blue tort. That is the only connection I can find.

Blue fawn is Blue Tort:)

mistyjr wrote:
mistyjr wrote:
I need names ideals for these 2 babies??

For the Harlequin Doe LionHead I picked.... Cermentis

Jersey Wooly Broken Black Buck.... Iggy Domino

And JadeIcing helped me picked out a name for my Chin (JW/LH) Baby

GrayAsh
I just keeping Carmentis name and Need to change the other 2 names.. Any Ideal??

Back