Hey Misty - we wanna see your new bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
For those who don't know - Misty has been rehoming rabbits in breeds she doesn't want to focus on - to add into her herd rabbits for her lionhead and wooly breeding since she knows she wants to focus on that.

I know the new bunnies won't be new births - but they are NEW ADDITIONS to her herd...

So let's see some photos Misty!!!!

:biggrin:

Thanks Peg! :rose:

I have gotten 2 new babies on Saturday July 10th. I am only working with Jesery Woolies and Lion-Head,

The first baby is an Broken Black Wooly Buck Brood Buck. Nancy the Wooly Breeder gave me the rabbit for free. She wanted to help out a new breeder and get me on my feet.
I dont have a name for him yet.

Mistys029.jpg

Mistys030.jpg

Mistys032.jpg

Here is the second baby that I got at the show. She is a Blue Fawn Lion-Head Doe. She will have Double Mane.
And I dont have a name for her yet either!

Mistys021.jpg

Mistys022.jpg

Mistys025.jpg

Mistys026.jpg

Mistys027.jpg

Mistys028.jpg

I hope you really enjoy!! :big wink:

Misty - I know what the breeder told you - but she's got to be harlequin with those black markings.

I know - I love harlies!

The breeder told me that she is Blue Fawn. A few others never heard of them. And I was reading the pedigree and yes the father was a Harlequin and the mother was a black. But I love the color myself. :nerves1:hiding:

Cute buck! I love his eye markings. :) But he can't be shown because he has no nose marking.... I hate that. lol I have a buck that only has a spot on his nose, but some judges let the spots pass.

Def. a harlequin and not a fawn.

wooly_queen wrote:
Cute buck! I love his eye markings. :) But he can't be shown because he has no nose marking.... I hate that. lol I have a buck that only has a spot on his nose, but some judges let the spots pass.

Def. a harlequin and not a fawn.
Yes! I know about the spot on hes nose. That is why he will be a brood buck. And he is very cute and a very good bunny

Wow I handled that same rabbit after she got it, and never noticed the black markings on it. It looked like a fawn to me too. I had never heard of a blue fawn until then either.

How hard is it to breed Harlie out?
And... can't there be no such thing as Blue Fawn? Because fawn is a lighter/dilute orange?

If it were a fawn/orange color with a blue undercoat it would be a Lynx.
I suspect foul play. We need someone who really knows their colors.

I just googled "blue fawn rabbit" and found a UK rabbit breeders web site. They call their Torts "fawns." For example, a black tort would be called a "sooty fawn." There was also a "blue fawn" listed there, which would be a blue tort. That is the only connection I can find.

lelanatty wrote:
How hard is it to breed Harlie out?
And... can't there be no such thing as Blue Fawn? Because fawn is a lighter/dilute orange?

If it were a fawn/orange color with a blue undercoat it would be a Lynx.
I suspect foul play. We need someone who really knows their colors.

I just googled "blue fawn rabbit" and found a UK rabbit breeders web site. They call their Torts "fawns." For example, a black tort would be called a "sooty fawn." There was also a "blue fawn" listed there, which would be a blue tort. That is the only connection I can find.

It can stay hidden for generations....and generations.

I had one of the earlier lionheads named "Blue Boy" who is on many pedigrees (way way back). He was blue - but he hid harlequin.

I heard of it popping up 9-10 generations later on and when breeders would try to track back where it came from - it would almost always be because he hid it. (He also gave off GORGEOUS harlequins though).

I once bred him to a chestnut - hoping for opals. Imagine my shock when I got a harlequin in the litter. Apparently - it can happen (I forget what else the doe carried).

What I was told early on was this - if you want to breed harlequins - consider them like "another" breed. Never take anything you get from a harlequin breeding (even if it seems to be free of harlequin) and breed it back into your "other" lines. Only use the offspring for your harlequin program and WARN every breeder that is even considering buying your rabbits if there is harlequin in the background.

As I told Misty earlier - I always had waiting lists for harlequins from Miss Bea....not as show bunnies - but as pet bunnies. Here is Miss Bea - and a few of the harlies we got from her over time...

57453fe9.jpg

June2005bunnies031.jpg

Edited: I pulled photos that I think were the ones someone complained about due to size...I'm sure Miss Bea can give you an example of what a harlequin can look like.

My best breedings where when I took harlequins to torts and fawns. Oranges did not turn out as well.

Technically, Miss Bea was a tort lionhead.

TinysMom wrote:
My best breedings where when I took harlequins to torts and fawns. Oranges did not turn out as well.

Technically, Miss Bea was a tort lionhead.

So in Misty's case she has a tort LH buck right? So she could still breed this new doe she got to her tort---- with the responsibility of telling her future bunny customers that there is Harlie in the background.

This is good. At least she isn't completely SOL that someone sold her anon-existent colored rabbit. :biggrin:

Its not hard to breed out the harlequin if she uses strictly torts as the harlequin gene is dominate over the tort gene. so if she breeds the harlequin to just her tort buck anything thats not harlequin wont carry the harlequin gene. If she starts breeding to blacks or blues, colors that are not non-extension like tort thats when she will have problems with the harlequin gene hiding like with her first LH litter. Shes a cute doe and I will have to admit I have a tort buck who has a harlequin on his dam's side but since I know he doesn't carry it I have no worries to breeding him to any of my does.

Misty who did you buy the doe from?

Edit: The extension allele has 2 basic genes E and e, e the non-extension gene changes the rabbits color when a rabbits has two of those genes making it a tort and then other genes like agouti or shaded they modify it to orange or sable point. When you have rabbits with at least one of the full extension genes, the big E, its a black then modified by other genes like agouti and shaded to chestnut or Siamese sable. Then there are mutations of those 2 gens such as the harlequin gene e(j). Its dominate over the little e but hidden by the big E so if you just breed to torts in a generation or two depending if shes e(j)e or e(j)e(j) you can breed it out and not have it pop up again in your show rabbits misty and people are always looking for pet lionheads and really love the exoctic colors for pets so the harlequins would be perfect for that.

leo9lionheads wrote:
Its not hard to breed out the harlequin if she uses strictly torts as the harlequin gene is dominate over the tort gene. so if she breeds the harlequin to just her tort buck anything thats not harlequin wont carry the harlequin gene. If she starts breeding to blacks or blues, colors that are not non-extension like tort thats when she will have problems with the harlequin gene hiding like with her first LH litter. Shes a cute doe and I will have to admit I have a tort buck who has a harlequin on his dam's side but since I know he doesn't carry it I have no worries to breeding him to any of my does.

Misty who did you buy the doe from?

Edit: The extension allele has 2 basic genes E and e, e the non-extension gene changes the rabbits color when a rabbits has two of those genes making it a tort and then other genes like agouti or shaded they modify it to orange or sable point. When you have rabbits with at least one of the full extension genes, the big E, its a black then modified by other genes like agouti and shaded to chestnut or Siamese sable. Then there are mutations of those 2 gens such as the harlequin gene e(j). Its dominate over the little e but hidden by the big E so if you just breed to torts in a generation or two depending if shes e(j)e or e(j)e(j) you cna breed it out
Hosner's Seven Maples Sanctuary

wow your Jersey is too cute I so want a broken buck for my blue girl. She had kits last week but lost all 4 of them :( Congrats on some nice new bunnies.

Latest posts

Back