Hey from long island!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffiexxweffie

Reaction score
Valley Stream / Stony Brook, New York, USA
I'm Stephanie and I currently have a mini lop named Patches O'Houlihan. I'm a student at Stony Brook University and I sneek Patches in my dorm. =]

Ever since I was younger, I always wanted a bunny. My parents of course always said no. But, one day I was walking back from lunch when I was in high school and I saw this little tiny creature on the side of the road. It didn't really look like a bunny it was so tiny and it didn't really have the big ears. I thought it was fake at first because i got so close to it and it didn't move. So i poke it. It hoped. But I realized it was hurt so i scooped her up and hid her in my sweatshirt.i couldn't cut school soI snuck her in and kept her in my locker. It was only for an hour because I told my bio teacher and he gave me a box and newpaper to put her in. Well I brought her home and convinced my parents to keep her. I brought her to the vet to make sure she didn't have diseases and I found out she was only 4 weeks old. So I fed her that kitty milk sold at pet stores through a pipette. I watched her grow up and i became so attached to her. But since she was the kind of bunnies that need to live outside on their own (I believe a new england cotton tail) she ornly lived 2 years. I guess it was because she was in captivity . I gave her the best life I could though and I know she was happy.

Now I have Patches and I'm a little older and a lot more knowledgable because of all the research I've done. He's so awesome. I love him to death. He follows me everywhere and dances around my feet and lays next to me on the couch. The only thing thats starting to bother me is his puberty. He sprays me all the time and he poops everywhere when he used to go back inhis cage to do his business. I am really thinking about neutering him but I heard they can die because of the anesthesia. And I'm also concerned that it might be too late to reverse all this bad behavior. He's 8 months old. Do you think it's too late?

Welcome! I think neutering him now would be great! He sounds more than ready. I think if you neuter him and then work with him again in a smaller area he will be litter trained again in no time. BTW- I love his name.

Haha thanks. When my boyfriend and I were driving on the parkway in January I was trying to think of a name for him. There were patches of ice on the road and thats when it hit me. Patches. But of course my boyfriend being him had to add O'Houlihan. Like Patches O'Houlihan from the movie Dodgeball. :biggrin2:

Hi Steph and Welcome to RO! :)

I would get Patches neutered asap and start working with him on his bathroom habits. Re-training him.I think the sooner you do it, the better.

Enjoy the forum,.... :biggrin2:April

Edit: your Avatar pic is cute!!

Welcome to RO Stephanie and Patches O'Houlihan! :wave:

Good news, it's definitely not too late to neuter him. After altering that sexual drive is gone that has been fueling the unwanted behavior. Spaying and neutering is considered a generally safe procedure these days when done by an experienced rabbit savvy vet.

Here is more information for you, the FAQ of Spaying and Neutering. Hope it helps!

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

I think your doing the right thing by checking outthe vet. I think he(Patches) will be fine if you find a good-great vet who knows lots about rabbits. :)

Do you drive, Steph? (Although, who from Stony Brook doesn't drive...?) I hear there are some very good exotic vets who are rabbit savvy in queens. I am pretty sure someone PM'ed me a good one before if you are interested for the neuter. Are we going to get some pictures of Patches soon? :)

I'm so sorry... I think I deleted the PM or maybe I read it off nycbuns and never saved it. NYCbuns is a Yahoo group that I joined. There is a lot of chatter on there usually but I get some good info on there a lot of the time. So sorry, Stephanie!
The vet I go to is Dr. Campbell and Dr. Levison at Symphony Vet. They are located in the upper west side of Manhattan, so it's definitely a trek. I would hate for you to have to go back there for emergencies and stuff. Typically I think people like to establish a relationship as well as medical history for their their pets and vets. But if you want a good surgeon that comes recommended by the HRS website, Symphony Vet will take good care of you. My Toby just went in for his neuter 2 or 3 weeks ago and he is just perfect now :) They are definitely expensive though :X

Hi Stephanie! Welcome to the Forum!:welcome1 I live pretty close to Stony Brook U! Dr. Saver at Catnip and Carrots is great.I highly recommend her if she isn't too far for you. He'll be in good hands.

Neutering will correct a lot of his "issues". Photo's of him (maybe a "Patch's Blog"?) would be nice! Glad you found us!

:helloand :welcome1to RabbitsOnline, Stephanie. I am glad you found the site. RO is a very active, friendly and helpful website devoted to rabbits and their slaves.

Here are some good links to areas of the site you might find interesting, the Library section, full of good reference info, Bunny Blog, where you can keep everyone up to date on your bunny and your life as a bunny slave and if you bunny would like to ask questions of other buns the Bunny Chat is the spot to be. The regional forum is a good way to find a rabbit savvy vet or to post places where you get some of your supplies for your bun etc. For the lighter side and to give you a chuckle or two stop by the go to the Let Your Hare Down section for anything but bunny's.

If you would like to post pictures in your post this link How to put photo's in your posts will help explain that.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with info. This is a wonderful site and I look forward to seeing pictures of your bun and stories about him.

Dave

ok good. yeah in the waiting room so meet the vet i met so many people and talked for 2 hours about our bunnies. i love that vet! hes scheduled to have the operation on the 27th. i move back to my dorm the 29th. do you think the operation then the change of scenery will be too stressful for him or do you think he'll be fine?

Isn't Dr.Saver great???? He'll be OK. I'm sure within 2 days, he'll be eating and back to normal again. As long as you are there to comfort him... I wouldn't clean out his litter box before the move. Make sure it smells the same from one place to the other. Don't change anything in the cage space. He should do very well!

Latest posts

Back