helpp please!!! (Freddy's chocolate escapade)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddysMom

Reaction score
i left for work today ...come home and find freddys cage opened with a lit flashlight in it anf with him sitting on my bed and my door wide open ..mind you not my room is in the basement which also houses my two labs.....this means that no one was supervising my three year old brother ... luckily the dogs didnt get him and god less him he didnt chew any wires....he did however eat a large amount of chocolate............i had a chocolate lollypop in the shape of a rosebud, so the amount of chocolate would be if you cut a rosebud in half longways...how bad is there for him..should i call the vet in the AM ? i dont know what to do... i am so angry with my parents right now!!!! :mad:

I would get him to the vet ASAP. Rabbits can be poisoned by chocolate too. Considering how small Freddy is I would get him in.

Here is an article I found.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/nochocolate.html

I'm not trying to scare you I'm just really worried about Freddy. I am so mad at your little brother. I will say prayers for you and Freddy. Please keep us posted.

Tina

hey! you helped me and now its time i repay thefavor:). called the vet in the AM. i dont know anything about rabbitsand chocolate, but i dont think its good for them at all. dont callthem right away, supervise ur rabbit and see if anythign strangehappens. try and take his temperature. a temperature of 103-104 isnormal. im not too sure how to take his temperature, but you could lookon a website. i think its bad how people dont responde to somethingthat says hurry, or help please, right away, only a little bit untilsomthin happens. so if anything strange happens call the vet RIGHTAWAY. also check right now for any deep breathing, or ear or nosedischarge.

good luck. and i hope your rabbit is ok!

i think rabbits can be poisoned by chocolate, i did some research while typing this.

i sened my prayers with tina! good luck again!

Yes, chocolate is toxic, and can also cause intestinal problems (especially bad for rabbits). Call the vet right away and get their advice!!

:pray:

Sending nothing but good thoughts andprayers for Freddy. The bunnies are allsaying their prayersfor their cousin. Please update us when you get a chance. I am soworried.

Tina

....*sigh*...back from the vets....theyre giving him toxiban and keeping him over night....she told me everything that could go wrong and it really freaked me out.. prolly got more upset than i should have....still upset :(  ....on a good note tho, this complete random lady that i was talking to in the waiting room paid $200 of my bill.. i was like :shock: she did it without me knowing.. i was so shocked....i hope everything goes alright... i then have to bring him to his regular vet in the am ...all before having to work 13 hours tmrw .......ahhhhhhhh ..okay i have to try and sleep now ...im so worried about him .. sorry for the rant

FreddysMom wrote:
....*sigh*...back from the vets....theyre giving him toxibanand keeping him overnight....she told me everything that could go wrongand it really freaked me out.. prolly got more upset than i shouldhave....still upset :( ....on a good note tho, this completerandom lady that i was talking to in the waiting room paid $200 of mybill.. i was like :shock:she did it without me knowing.. iwas so shocked....i hope everything goes alright... i then have tobring him to his regular vet in the am ...all before having to work 13hours tmrw .......ahhhhhhhh ..okay i have to try and sleep now ...im soworried about him .. sorry for the rant

The vets should have heraddress might be worth popping a card in saying i know u cant give meher address but if i give u the money for a stamp would u mind sendingit to her for me.

I hope your bun is okay i've got everything crossed for you xx

:pray:

And thank God for that angel-in-disguise at the vet's office :star:

oh dear thats a bit of a wait... have they said anything about how he is?

while at the animal ER, they kept on asking me what kind of chocolate he ate....in my attempts to sleep i was thinking about why they kept asking me and i looked it up....here is what i found...i know none of you plan on feeding chocolate to your rabbits but its a nice tidbit of info in case an accident like mine does ever occur...
    • IV fluids - to prevent dehydration from vomiting, diarrhea,and /or increased urination, and to "flush" the Theobromine out of thesystem.
    • Emetics - medications that induce vomiting. Used when the ingestion of chocolate is within 4 hours. Up to 6-8 hours post chocolate ingestion may be effective. (not for use in for rabbits)
    • Activated charcoal - for ingestion greater than 4 hours prior to treatment, or for patients that show continued signs of toxicity.
    • Anti-seizure medications - for patients having seizures and/or muscle tremors.
    • Cardiac medications - for patients exhibiting irregular heart rates or rhythms.

So if I'm doing the math right (in my head- fora lab this place is amazingly short of calculators!) Freddy should have consumed less than the lethal dosage of chocolate?  I think I remember him being about 3 pounds, I rounded the Theobromine to 50mg./oz, and assumed he ate all 5 oz.  That should be good.

You really should try to sleep.  Not only do you have to drive to get him, but he will sense how tired and tense you are. Try some hot herbal or caffeine free tea or hot chocolate and try to take a nap.

Sending good vibes your way!

Back