Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac11045

Reaction score
Help my 5 month old rabbit hasn't eaten in 3days we have tried force feeding he spits it back out we have tried water sofened pellets critical care and baby food we are trying baby food covered pellets at the moment I recently switched his food brand that's what started it all I'm really worried his brother is doing fine on the new food I don't know what I did wrong

You need to get him to a vet ASAP if he isn’t eating, he is at risk of gettinf bloat which is really dangerous. For now, just feed him anything he will take, try his favourite veggies or some herbs, cut some grass from the garden - basically anything that can get him interested in eating again. But definitely definitely take him to the Vets it could be something medical making it hard to eat such as overgrown teeth, mouth ulcers, etc.

Feed hay and he has already started GI Statis probably a result of the food change over and not being transitioned over slowly enough. Vet is the first thing you should do but until then you can give simthicone drops the baby gas liquid and use a warm pad or
Towel on bunny belly to help gas move and give her a gentle belly massage to help relieve pain and break up gas if you have to force her to drink syringe water gently into the side of her mouth at an angle not straight down her throat and a little at a time to let her swallow and breathe and try hay don’t give any pellets right now if you have electrolytes to give her you should also water the critical care down thin enough to syringe a little into her as well. I hope this
Helps till you get to the vet

We took him to the vet they couldn't find anything wrong he's been eating plenty of hay and drinking plenty of water the vet thinks he's just being stubborn because when I changed over his food I did what the vet told me

Is it a rabbit savvy vet? We don’t learn a huge amount about rabbits at vet school so it’s best to find a vet with a special interest for rabbits. So he is eating now? In yor original post you said he wasnt eating at all? If he is eating hay then you should be okay, as long as bunnies have access to lots of hay and greens they shouldn’t NEED pellets anyway.

If it’s just that he isn’t eating pellets he just might not like them - if you want to keep feeding pellets, try a different brand.

It is important, too, to choose a healthy brand of pellets and then transition him to the new food. You do this by mixing 1 part of the new pellets with 3 parts of the old pellets. Feed that for a few days. Then mix equal parts of each for a few days, then 1 part old to 3 parts new.

By doing this, bunny gradually gets used to the new pellets. Here is a general guide for choosing a healthy pellet.

Back