Help with bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Hannh16. Yes I agree with k1 Maria . after 3 weeks I put mine together and they had a bad fight, so I put them back in their separate areas and have waited another three weeks, it will be four weeks this weekend and we will try again, but things seem a little better now as Rooney Tries to lick Millie between the bars, which they didn't do before, also I wouldn't leave them alone at all when they are put together, and always try to end on a good note, as people say the rabbits remember the last time they met. Each rabbit is an individual so I dont think there is a time scale to bonding, just take your time and keep trying. How are your rabbits doing k1Maria.

Oh I forgot about ending on a "good note" - I have heard that. We are just being patient....I can't imagine they won't want each others company. I am still waiting - putting about 10 days/2 weeks in between meets. I have two gates with a buffer in between so they cant reach each other and I have started placing their greens in between the two gates so they eat face to face. I also hung a chew treat they love in between so they can both reach it at the same time. I think my situation is going to be one of those that takes a little more time unfortunately. I will get more aggressive after my summer schedule subsides (like ONLY letting them out together for a bonding attempt) but they are still young - 7 & 8 months old - they really love their play time - so I feel too guilty doing that YETbuns.jpg

Oh so cute, seems like we are doing all the right things, I put everything by the dividing barrier, food water, treats, litter box, the other side I put boxes and another sleep box, and toys. Waiting for the weekend when I will try to put them together for the third time, do you let yours go out and run around separately? I let one of mine out into the big outside run for about an hour twice a day, they can come and go as they please, the other rabbit can see what's going on, then he comes out once the other one is in, I dont know if they should have this separate time away from each other, but they enjoy it so much.

Yes mine are out quite a bit. One gated area is the whole house and the other side of the gate is a room with both cages with in it . I usually let them both out at the same time one on each side with a litter box on each side of course. The side with the cages I leave the doors open so that they can go in and out of each other’s cages. They almost always go exclusively into the others cage and play with their toys and eat there hay LOL. I don’t worry about them having too much time away from each other just because they do need to get their exercise and typically they will lay next to each other on each side of the gate close when they’re done playing .

Back