Help with bonding

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by Jac, Jul 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Jul 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM #1

Jac

Jac

Jac

I had a Rabbit called storm whose partner died, so we decided to adopt a rabbit from a shelter, Storm was a 3 year old neutered female, so we adopted Rooney a 4 year old nuetered make, the bonding went very well and they became very close, unfortunately Storm died, leaving Rooney alone, when we got Rooney from the shelter they said Rooney and his partner had been badly treated, unfortunately Rooney's partner had to be put down in the shelter Rooney was very afraid and unsettled when we bought him home biting charging and grunting, but that soon changed and he started to enjoy his life. We decided to get Rooney another rabbit friend, so we rescued a 4 year old neutered female called Millie.. we put them in separate pens side by side for three weeks, they could see each other but couldn't get at one another every three days we alternated the pens, eventually they started lying side by side and eating together, so we went to the next stage of bonding, put them together in a small neutral space, it was fine for the first three mins, then vicious fighting started. We broke the fight up and the rabbits ignored each other for a while but fighting broke out again, it carried on this way for a while so we put them back in the separate pens. What should we do now persevere, or give up and sent Millue back to the shelter,as it unsettling Rooney very much and he is becoming afraid and nervous like he was when we first had him. I just want to see Rooney happy again with a friend to kick and talk to. Will this happen...

Jackie

2. Jul 13, 2019 at 7:04 PM #2

Jasminebunny

Jasminebunny

Jasminebunny

Sorry , this happened with mine , and now he hates me .-.
    I'm sorry i can't be no help ( male + female , male hates me now .. it's my brother's rabbit)

3. Jul 13, 2019 at 7:11 PM #3

Jac

Jac

Jac

Oh gosh, I hope he doesn't hate me, I was only trying to help him, obviously he doesn't know that, but I thought in the long run he would be happier with another partner, which I still hope he will be. What happens with your bunny?

4. Jul 13, 2019 at 7:15 PM #4

Jasminebunny

Jasminebunny

Jasminebunny

He was super tame the day i got him , he didn't even need to settle in ..
    Now he lunges and grunts and bites me , just like jasmine , who used to do that
    but now she's like he used to be .

5. Jul 13, 2019 at 7:24 PM #5

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

It would be a good idea to speak with the rescue and let them know what is going on. They usually will work with people to ensure you wind up with a compatible match. --at least the rabbit rescues here in the US will. Not sure how that works in the UK. But giving them an update may open up some options for you. I've certainly had my share of bonds that just refused to happen. Rabbits can be picky.

6. Jul 13, 2019 at 8:02 PM #6

Jac

Jac

Jac

Yes I did speak to the rescue, they said give it a little longer, it can take a few weeks or months, but I'm still worried it will have a negative effect on Rooney. I think I will e mail the rabbit welfare association and see what they say , just wanted to see what other people thought and see if any one else has had trouble and able to give advice.

7. Jul 13, 2019 at 9:45 PM #7

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

oops, wrong thread
    (I had replied here but have since erased it)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:12 PM
  8. Jul 13, 2019 at 10:17 PM #8

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

Given your concern for Rooney, and the fact that the two are actually fighting, I would think the rescue should consider this and allow some bunny dates to find a more suitable match. If a bonding is too difficult, it can have a negative effect on the rabbits. There comes a point when too much (or too vicious) fighting makes it just not worth the effort.
    If you could convey this to them, perhaps they would be willing to allow an exchange.

9. Jul 13, 2019 at 10:31 PM #9

Jac

Jac

Jac

The rescue here doesnt do bunny dates, plus the rescue takes about 1 hour to get to, and Rooney doesn't travel well at all, it stresses him out to much, he just crashes out for hours after,I wouldn't put him through that. I do have the option of taking Millie back. I may try again tomorrow and see how things go, Millie is a lovely little rabbit with us, but sadly not so nice too Rooney. Rabbits are very complex creatures.

10. Jul 14, 2019 at 4:17 PM #10

Jac

Jac

Jac

Well I'm still trying to bond Rooney and Millie today wasnt as bad as yesterday, they had one little scrap, then sat in opposite corners, when they moved towards each other they had a sneaky sniff then turned away and lay down, they did this twice more, so I decided to put them back and end it on a ok note, rather than end with a fight.. will try again tomorrow. Any advice will be appreciated.