Help some sort of nose growth.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeriada

Reaction score
We just moved to a new place and don't have a vet yet. I was wondering if you guys could help me identify what is going on with my daughters bunny. It's currently molting and in the last three weeks has developed these almost tentacle like growths on it's nose. They are covered in fur. If anyone knows what this might be any help is appreciated.

2014-04-29 13.57.27.jpg

I don't know if it helps anyone identify the problem but they also move and twitch along with the nose. And they seem to hurt the bunny when it bumps them against something. I don't know what to do I just paid my rent so I won't have fund to take him to a vet for two weeks.

By no means am I a vet, nor have I seen the sysmptoms you show in the pic but after some research, I found this:

"Your rabbit is most likely infected by a virus called the Shope fibroma virus. It is in the same family as the viruses that cause warts in humans. The horn-like growths can appear in or on the rabbit's nose, the ears, the eyelids, the mouth, and sometimes the anus or genitals. The Shope virus appears most often in the midwestern states, but is found throughout the United States, and some other countries, as well. It is thought to be carried by mosquitoes and other insects, but we don't know for sure how it is spread."

http://www.justanswer.com/pet/1184y-pet-rabbit-horn-growths-growing.html

I could be way off, and if so, I'm sorry.

It's hard to say from the pictures, but one possible diagnosis it can be is Shopes Papilloma Virus. This virus causes warts on the face. As soon as you can, I would take the rabbit to see a vet. I would recommend you quarantining your bunny from other animals in the house until you are able to get a diagnosis. You may want to ask if the vet if they would be open to making payments arrangements for the balance of their services. That may help you get your bunny in the door quicker. Bunnies are such delicate creatures and a small change in health could cause your bunny to quickly decline.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back